Leica 1200 vs. Bushnell 1500 Elite?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FWF

Reaction score
Any opinions out there on these two? RW, I know you've used the Bushnell; any idea of how it stacks up against the 1200 Leica?

Getting tired of my old Weaver 850. Tired of lugging it around. Tired of not being able to see through it when it counts (@ dawn & dusk). Tired of it not working in the cold. Tired of it not working when there's a little snow on the ground or a little mist in the air or if the sun's not hanging in the right spot. It's accurate when it works, but unfortunately it doesn't work alot of the times I need it to.

I used a Leica 1200 a bit out in Colorado and was very impressed, but the favorable conditions (clear air, lots of hard vertical surfaces to bounce a beam off of) also helped my Weaver overacheive a bit.

The Leica was what I was planning on switching to, but the new Bushnell sounds pretty good too (and at 60% of the cost).

What I'm wondering: How do their ranging capabilities compare? Do they both have glass lenses, unlike the plastic ones in my Weaver which are nearly impossible to clean without scratching them? Are their power needs low enough that a cold battery doesn't knock them dead? How about visibility through them in low light?

This rangefinder won't be strictly a muzzleloader tool; the onset of coyote hunting time is the driving force behind the purchase. My lead coyote rig is a 7mm mag M70 Laredo, so I'll take as much ranging capability as I can get.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks! :)

Personally, I like the Leica. Mostly because the red led used in the lieca.. In low light it is easy to see your yardage reading. I have also used mine in very cold weather... 0-5 degrees F and have not had a battery failure. Actually, I just replace the original battery just a few weeks ago, the original lasted a year!

Other than the red LED on the leica, I think they are both very nice units... you really cant go wrong with either.

FWF said:
Any opinions out there on these two? RW, I know you've used the Bushnell; any idea of how it stacks up against the 1200 Leica?

The Bushnell ranges faster, farther, is waterproof, and costs less.

But, the key is the display-- if you prefer the red Leica LED vs. a LCD, then you will likely prefer the Leica. They are both excellent. My Dad really, strongly prefers the Leica display-- so, I bought him a Leica.

To RW: If I would stronglly prefer the Leica would you buy me one also? Just kidding. Keep up the good reporting.

RandyWakeman said:
FWF said:

The Bushnell ranges faster, farther, is waterproof, and costs less.

quote]

....and has Rainguard, and operates from a 9 volt battery. But the backlight is real goofy. An LED would be nice.

Spitpatch said:
But the backlight is real goofy. An LED would be nice.

I agree-- I tested a Pinseeker 1500 as well for just that reason. I don't care for the backlighting at all. If they want to leave it there, fine-- it sure would be nice to have a dipswitch to disable it.

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't have much luck googling for a side-by-side comparison (in fact, most reviews seemed to be on sellers' sites), so it was great to get a couple of first-hand accounts.

Well, it sounds like the display in either will take a little getting used to, as I am accustomed to the plain LCD in my Weaver (and the LED was the strangest thing about the Leica, though I'm sure I'd be fine with it after five minutes).

I was pretty sure I'd be pleased with the performance of the Leica; it sounds like the Bushnell may on the balance be even a bit better (faster, farther, waterproof, Rainguard and cheaper). So, although it sounds like both are excellent choices, I think I'll probably give the Bushnell a try.

Thanks again! :)[/i]

Latest posts

Back