Leupold power selector ring hard to turn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
Just wonderng if anyone else has encountered this problem? I've got a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40 mounted on a Ruger 77/17 with the standard Ruger integral rings. Everything seems fine about the setup EXCEPT the power selector ring is extremely hard to turn. It almost takes both hands to turn it. I can sometimes even hear a grinding sound from inside the scope or possibly an O-ring binding or something. This only happens when the scope is mounted in the rings and tightened down. If I take the scope out of the rings and hold it in my hands, the power ring is much easier to turn and no grinding sound or binding. I've swapped the rings fore and aft and switched around the bottom halves and top halves, but when tightened down, it's still way too hard to turn the power ring. Would you say this is an out of spec pair of rings or an out of spec scope? I'm leaning towards the scope being out of spec or something as I can't hardly see how the rings are causing it because they seem to fit the scope well. I'm completely baffled as I've never encountered anything like this before. :?

Nic,

I have the same with a VX-II 2-7 on my White Super 91. I mounted scope rings a lil farther away from adjustment ring & it made some difference. Still tight but some better. Scope performs great so I can live with it. I do not hear any grinding ...just very tight to turn.

I know jcchartboy xperience the same with a Leupold.

I have the same problem with the hard turning but not as bad as yours; I don't have any noise. Mine is just a little hard to grip and turn. I have two and they are about the same. It's the only thing I don't like about the Leopold. I have been using more Bushnell?s because they are much easier to adjust. The Trophy is a great scope for the price and has a really nice large zoom ring that is very easy to turn with gloves on. The Legend is also a very good scope for the price and I can't tell a bit of difference between it and the Leopold VX-II. I do like the Leopold and I like that it is American made but I wish they would do something to make the zoom ring more user friendly.

If I had one that made noise when I turned it I would contact Leopold about it. How tight are you cranking down on the rings? You really don't need to close the rings to hold the scope. Can you snug it down reasonably without the noise and then you get the nose when you really tighten it?

Yep, had the same problem, turned out the rear scope ring was too close to the power selector ring. Move it forward a little and it will resolve your problem.

Ed

With mine I use low rings and the power selector hits the base (leopold base) I have to grind the bases down.
Ken

edmehlig said:
Yep, had the same problem, turned out the rear scope ring was too close to the power selector ring. Move it forward a little and it will resolve your problem.

Ed

Yep..I've had that happen with most brands.. Ed has the fix...just move the scope a little.. Lapping the rings like UC said would probably help as well...

I had this on a Vari-II 2-7x a few years ago, sent it back to Leupold, and they fixed it.

It's the only thing I don't like about the Leopold.

Ditto...same problems here...Leupold VX-II 2-7x33...I wrote a post about this exact problem months ago...

my 3x9x40 vxII is doing the same thing. But mine was difficult to turn even when not mounted. Not bad enough to send back though. this is my first Leupold and I thought is was really clear and so forth. But really saw the difference at dusk. spotted a deer at about 180 yards behind my house tonight as it was getting dark, took out the gun and sighted the deer in, WOW, does it ever gather the light. Truly impressed. If it would have been fall, she would have been dinner.
Nate

Latest posts

Back