Leupold...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
I own a Leupold VX-II 2-7x33 that I purchased new last year. This scope was a replacement for a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 that I had already owned.

From the moment I purchased it I was unhappy with the magnification adjustment ring. The problem was that it seemed very stiff. I always felt that the 1-4x20 was stiffer than I prefered but the 2-7x33 was worse.

I figured that the scope was fine and that the ring would loosen up a bit over time as I made adjustments.

I have been shooting the gun pretty regularly over the summer but always at the range. Therefore I rarely made alot of power adjustments as I was usually sighting shells at 100yds.

Needless to say, after fidling with the gun today I have come to the decision that the problem is not getiing any better, and almost seems worse.

There is no way I could make any adjustments with gun raised at all. In fact it almost takes two hands to get a good enough grip to turn the power ring.

I am certain this can not be normal. My question is has anyone here ever experienced this problem before?

I assume I am going to have to send the scope back to Leupold after the season. As you can imagine that does not make me happy. I can safely say, if that scope comes off my gun there is little chance a Leupold goes back on. (not just as a result of this issue)

*I will be interested to hear from you Rifleman...

Jeff,

I have the same scope ( i think) and the adjustment ring also almost takes 2 hands to adjust the power setting. I called Leupold & they said functionally scope is ok but if I want to send it back they could rectify problem. I resided to leaving as is since it is working great (other than tight adj ring) & zeroed in on my White Super 91 . I rarely change powers while huntin so only time I have to deal with it is at the range. I cant remember if the adjustment ring was tight prior to torkin rings down or not? How about yours?

I bought mine last Summer.

My Leupold is a VX-II 2-7X33 Part No. 53931 (Matte).

Loggy,

Yes, that is virtually the identical one.(Leupold changed some model #'s last year). It has been a problem since I owned it, but it does seem a bit worse lately.

I am happy to hear they will recognize the problem.

However, I really think a company such as Leupold should not knowingly be producing a scope with a problem like that.

Jeff,

Was yours tight before mounting? I thought maybe the ring torque may have contributed?

Too close to huntin season now but maybe I will send mine back after Season closes. I agree, seems it takes more pressure to adjust as time goes on. I thought maybe ole Loggy was just gettin weaker. :lol:

I am thinking about sending it back in January, then getting rid of it. This would be the third upgrade for that gun in three years. That was never my original plan but I guess it will have to do.

BTW...When I sold my last my Leupold, the VX-II 1-4x20, I actually sold it used for more than I paid for it! That is surely one thing that can be said for Leupolds...They hold their value well.

I've had a Burris do the same thing. It was a 1.5-6 Signature. Send it back to Leupold and they'll fix it. If you want to send it back now I have a Nikon 3-9X40 Monarch you can use until you get it back or the end of the season, whichever.

BTW...When I sold my last my Leupold, the VX-II 1-4x20, I actually sold it used for more than I paid for it! That is surely one thing that can be said for Leupolds...They hold their value well.

There's a good reason for that!

Big6x6,

Thank you for the offer. Fortunately the Leupold will suffice for my needs through the season.

As you can imagine the wheels are already turning as to the new upgrade. The early thoughts involve switching around a scope that is already on another gun. Then selling the Leupold,and buying a new scope.

Guess it will just give me one more thing to keep me busy when I can't be in the woods or on the water. :wink:

I just have not run into this problem before, so send it back is all I know to do.

Latest posts

Back