Life size elk target

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I guess this is a little of an unusual request. I want to make a life-sized cardboard elk target.
I have a hunt booked for next Sept (2025). As this is a muzzleloader hunt in Colorado, I'm restricted to iron sights. I'm set up with a peep and front globe sight I'm satisfied with, so now I need to burn some powder and get as comfortable as I can with a range limit of 150 yds.
My idea is to make a life-sized cut out of cardboard, and practice shooting from field positions. That way, I get a real feel for the target I'm shooting at, and an idea of how big they appear through the sights at different ranges.
My guess is 30" top to bottom, and 50"-60" or so long for the main body. Legs, neck and head I think I can estimate proportionally. I'd like someone with experience to chime in please.

Congrats Rick, that will be fun! Yes, you could buy a target or make one. I think you’re right on for average numbers. Elk range widely in size, but an average “mature” Colorado bull will be 54-58” tall at the shoulder hump, 8’ from nose to tail and 30” brisket to top of shoulder.

IMG_3819.jpeg

Exciting to hear about your upcoming Colorado muzzleloader elk hunt. I drew and killed my biggest bull this past September in Colorado's Unit 61 with a ML tag. My load, sights and shooting preparation for the hunt was 2 years in the making. Thanks to the ideas and suggestions from guys on this site like, IdahoRon, ElDiablo, EdMehlig, Sabotloader to name a few.
I was amazed at how well I was able to shoot out to 200 yards after a little adjustment and practice. I started out using a front globe sight, but had difficulty picking up my target in certain lighting situations. I ended up switching to a .04 Green fiber optic front site. It worked great with my Lyman 57SML peep sight.
I practiced out to 200 yds using a large piece of cardboard painted white with a bright blue cross on it. I was able to keep my shots inside a 7.5'' circle at 200 yds. Plenty good enough for Elk Vitals MOA.
Good luck with your preparation and hunt.

Wow! That'll get your heart pumping!

Beautiful pics.
I will be hunting the southestern plains on private land. I can only HOPE to see a bull of that caliber.
One of my good friends and his parents run a ranching outfit down that way. There are not a lot of elk there, but when you do get into them the trophy potential is certainly there. There are also some gigantic cactus buck mule deer along with whitetail deer as well. Any chance you can get a tag for those too?

One of my good friends and his parents run a ranching outfit down that way. There are not a lot of elk there, but when you do get into them the trophy potential is certainly there. There are also some gigantic cactus buck mule deer along with whitetail deer as well. Any chance you can get a tag for those too?
I don't know for sure. It will be a september rut hunt in Unit 128 (private land). I will check on that.

Latest posts

Back