Loading procedure??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exarcher

NRA and NAA Life member
Supporting member
Reaction score
Finally got my powder, & would like to hear your loading method? how many caps do you fire?? do you use long funnel, or none ect.. Thanks in advance!! Just want to hear whats "state of the art" now!!

I'm kinda stingy with my caps these days. I only pop one or two before I load up. I generally use a fixed powder measure. No long funnel, I just dump it down the barrel. Lube up a patch, set the ball on top and ram er' home.

For my 50 caliber Renegade, I use a T/C adjustable powder measure set at 80 grains. Dump the Goex 2F down the barrel, give the lock/tang area a couple of healthy raps with my palm to settle the powder, then a greased felt wad and top it off with a No Excuses 420 grain cast bullet. The bullets aren't quite slip fit, but they seat easily. I usually pop 2 caps before loading to eliminate any accumulated oil from my last cleaning.

Finally got my powder, & would like to hear your loading method? how many caps do you fire?? do you use long funnel, or none ect.. Thanks in advance!! Just want to hear whats "state of the art" now!!
For my first shot the first thing I do is to run a clean cleaning patch down the bore to wipe out any oil that may be in it.
This is followed by popping one cap to blow out any oil that may be lingering in the flame channel between the base of the nipple and the bore as well as any oil that might be in the nipple. IMO popping more than one cap is just a waste. After popping the cap, I remove the spent cap and place the hammer at half cock.

After making sure I have powder, patches and the right size balls available, I use my powder flask to measure out the powder charge I want to use and transfer the powder to a separate powder measure. I then pour the powder down the barrel.

Picking one lubed patch out of the pile I center it on the muzzle and push a ball as far down into the barrel as I can with my thumb. I use a tight patch/ball combination so the ball really isn't started very far.

Using my short starter's short pin I then place it on the ball and give it a whack with my free hand. This only starts the ball about 3/8" down the bore. Rotating the short starter so the long pin can be used, I then push the started ball down the bore until the short starter is against the muzzle.
Placing the ramrod into the barrel, I grab it about a foot above the muzzle and push the ball down the barrel until my hand hits the muzzle. Then, moving my hand back up a foot I grab the ramrod and shove the ball further down the barrel. This is repeated until the ball is pressed down on top of the powder charge.
I then cap the nipple, take aim and shoot.

For the next shot, I just repeat the above but of course I don't pop any more caps.

In my area, I can get about 3 shots using real black powder before fouling starts to build up so I don't wipe the bore between the first couple of shots.

When I do wipe the bore I dampen a clean patch so it's wet but not dripping.
I run this wet patch on a jag down the bore in one smooth stroke until it hits the breech plug. After it has, I do a mental "count to 10" and then pull the jag/patch back out of the bore in one smooth stroke.
The waiting period gives the water time to soak into the fouling and soften it. This allows probably 90% of the fouling to be wiped out of the bore by just removing the damp patch. I follow this by running one clean dry patch down the bore and back out and I'm ready to start loading again.

When your wiping the bore, one thing to NEVER do is to run a damp patch down the bore and immediately start pumping it up and down. If you do that, you will just end up knocking a bunch of fouling off of the bore and driving it to the bottom where it will blow back thru the flame channel and plug it up. That will cause the next shot to misfire.

These muzzleloaders haven't changed much in 300 years and the loading methods used now are about the same as they've always been. There's not much that is new and IMO, that's a good thing.

how many caps do you fire??

One, after the rifle is loaded. Never saw any need to "pop caps" with a properly maintained rifle.

My procedure is to run a patch moistened with alcohol to remove any oil followed by a dry patch. Powder is poured into the barrel from the powder measure or, if hunting, from the quick loader. The rifle is leaned on the lock side and the stock is is given a couple slaps with the hand to allow powder to enter the flame channel. Ball is centered on the lubed patch and the quick starter is used to start the ball. i prefer a tight fitting ball and patch seated hard on the powder. A golf ball with drilled hole set on ramrod assists in seating the ball. If you choose to use this technique be reminded a wooden ramrod may break, that's why i use an aluminum or steel rod.

Lots of stuff makes good patch lube; among these are Mink Oil and Go Jo hand cleaner sans grit.

Good luck with your muzzleloader experience.

I didn't see where you said what you're shooting. I shoot 777. My plan is to only shoot one shot while hunting, and the deer and elk always seem to cooperate with that if I miss. I almost never get a second shot. Now days, I don't often need one. I run a dry patch down the bore before loading. I like the swivel funnel measure by CVA. It cuts off the powder consistently and the funnel makes sure you don't spill any. I shoot 777, so I lick a clean patch and run it down the barrel, followed by a clean patch. My first shot goes the same place the following shots do. I have never had a misfire with that rifle. I've found that Winchester #11 caps don't hangfire even on really cold dayss. After a shot at game, I follow the same procedure, in case I need a follow up shot.

Back