Lock & Trigger Lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
It hit me a couple days ago when I was cleaning my .58cal Hawken out and getting it 100% ready for the bear hunt coming up on August 16th. In the process I was swabbing the bore out with alcohol, removed the nipple and cleaned it out, made sure my tang screw was tight, It was tight! So tight I was grunting trying to remove it. Is that over kill? No way! Not when shooting a bedded .58cal Hawken like mine!

I took the lock out "Percussion" and cleaned it and as I was getting to spray it down with oil it hit me...We just rebuilt a 258 Inline 6 for our Jeep, use the friggin Moly break in lube! The moly lube is always a must have on a rebuilt motor, you use it on the valve train and especially in our case, the cam lobes. It is super slick and provides an excellent lubricant to parts that need a precise break in.

I cleaned the lock internals good with soapy water and piece of 0000 steel wool. Removing ALL traces of oil form the steel is highly important in order for the Moly to be massaged into the steel and embed itself into the pores.

Locks with a "Fly" installed, you should be careful to avoid the fly and its channel as the thicker moly grease can actually prevent it from moving due to the thickness.

Just massage a little into the locks tumbler and main spring recess area. The feel of the lock in action is simply amazing after applying this process!

A flintlock shooter may also apply a small amount to the frizzen spring and rub that in good, SLICK!

Those with doubt set triggers that may be polished but still have that, Not so right feeling, rub some moly on the top and sides! Just work that Moly lube into all those little nooks and crannies, IT WORKS!  

My Hawken set trigger used to have that loud, hollow sounding TINK to it when I'd set the trigger, Its been greatly reduced with the moly lube in there and the trigger is like an ice skate on glass.
img_3413.jpg

Yeah molybdenum disulphide is very good muti ....I always have at least 1 lb. in the garage.

Jon if you can get hold of Orapi's products in your neck of the woods give their Graphene a try , it is graphite from a rattle can and does not attract dust and rubbish as it is a dry ludricant.

Latest posts

Back