LOGGY BAG's GOBBLER!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
I missed the 4/28 Saturday's Opener due to family stuff but headed to my Sullivan County Camp this past Sunday to hunt the week. Hunt was planned for WMU 3B Loyalsock State Forest.

Monday the ole 4:00 am alarm came sooner than expected as always. :lol: I arrived at 5:30 AM in the area where I saw some turkey in Late Flintlock Season. I was in a mix of hemlocks and it was still fairly dark at 1/2 hr. before sunrise. At 6 AM I hit the ole Cody Woodsman slate & immediately had a gobble about 100 yard down the ridge. Within 15 seconds then heard a hen yelp within same area & that was it. Worked several ridges & heard no more gobbling but still hunted till noon. Tues, Weds & Thurs More of the same...heard gobbling within first hour of daylite & then quiet. Told Mrs. Loggy I was gonna hunt Friday till mid-morning or so then come home.

Friday was predicted to be a beautiful day & it was in many ways!
I was in my hunting area around 5:15 AM & set-up. It was in the high 20's so was glad for the xtra clothing that I almost didnt bring. I called was using 3 calls: Lynch Fool Proof box, Cody Woodsman Slate & a Madd Ship Wreck Triple reed mouth. This morning was first i heard No Gobbling at day break. Im sitting there thinking around 9 AM I will pack it in & head home. Been away from home for 5 nites & Mrs. Loggy's startin to miss me. :lol:

It was a cold calm morning & you could really hear. Around 8 AM I heard a gobble about 200 yards down the ridge. At first he responded then was quiet. I switched call & then he responded again & was mivin to my right but a lil closer. This went on for about a half hour & he hung-up.

Then, unexpectedly, i heard a gobble behind me. He sounded at least 200 yard up the ridge on the other side of a large clearing. I thought to myself ..he will never cross the clearing to get to the thick stuff I was set-up in. Then the gobbler below me gobbled & they were gobbling back & forth to each other. Man, that was exciting!!!

Then they both started to answer my calling but they didnt seem to be moving. This went on for another half hour or so. I hit the ole Ship Wreck Triple Reed & then the Cody Woodsman. I looked toward the clearing which was about 50 yards from me & I saw the upper gobbler at full fan about 5 or so yard on my side of clearing!!! I could hear my heart pounding!!! Couldnt believe how he moved in so quick plus crossed the clearing to the thick stuff. It was like he appeared from out of nowhere!!

I raised my Browning Gold Stalker Semi & squeezed off a Federal 12 3.5 Flite Control HV load of copperplated 5's. The gobbler flipped on its back & flopped for about 30 seconds & that was it. All my scouting & effort put out this week finally paid off. I paced off 45 yards & the Browning 12 3.5" hit him hard!

He weighed 22 Lbs, had a 10.5" beard with 1 1/4" spurs. The one that was gobblin below me sounded a big ole boy too...maybe even bigger. ;D

Not a bad bird for a PA State Forest. Saw very few hunters all week & heard a decent amount of birds while eve scoutin & saw plenta a sign.

Me & Gobbler

Meturkgun.jpg

Gobbler On Camp Porch W/Browning

turkgunporch.jpg

Nicely done - Nicely said!

I called one in during first season, but he saw me about a 1/4 second before I could put him down for a dirt nap. Last week I got the same 4 Jakes in from 3 locations all on the same morning but decided not to pull the trigger. I hope to get out a day or two next week.

Congratulations to you!
BR's from the cob pile.

Way to go Loggy! That's a nice GOBBLER! I just wish I would have had time to GO turkey hunting!

Thanx guys.

Chuck, last year i only got out a day or 2 and by the time i figured things out...it was time to go home. This year I took the whole week off & it took till Friday till i connected. I didnt tell the Mrs yet but next year im planning 2 weeks just in case!! :lol:

The best part of the season is still ahead Tom. Many gobblers have recd their Master Degree's by now but still can be fooled with a sexy yelp at the right time! :lol:

Great job Loggy, got a bird opening day myself with my Tominator, and I agree the best hunting is yet to come

jlynch34 said:
Great job Loggy, got a bird opening day myself with my Tominator, and I agree the best hunting is yet to come

Jerry, congrats on baggin one with your Tominator!!!

Im starting to get comfortable with this Browning Gold Stalker!! :lol:

Way to go! Looks like turkey-ka-bob time!

Season's over here in Tennessee. The birds have been quiet for about two weeks now. Guess it's time to start fishing.

Thanks DannyB.

Today was the last day of the 2007 PA Spring Gobbler Season. Per reports ive been sein...a pretty good year!

Loggy know how you feel about hunting with the Browning I'm the same way with my Remington 870, been using it now about 15 years.

I tried but didn't get a second bird.

jlynch34 said:
Loggy know how you feel about hunting with the Browning I'm the same way with my Remington 870, been using it now about 15 years.

I tried but didn't get a second bird.

:) Hi Jerry,

Next year I will be buying a second PA Gobbler Tag for sure!!

Lookin back over hundreds of Big Game Hunts spanning my 40 plus years of hunting (including many Muzzleloading Hunts)...its sure hard to beat baggin a Trophy Gobbler!!! Any who havent had the chance to try....be sure to add a Gobbler Hunt to ur hunting agenda re: that Trophy of Your Dreams Hunt!! The "second to none" challenges afforded could even be supplemented with baggin a Trophy Gobbler!! Something you will especially cherish in your hunting journey!

Nice bird! As I do my deliveries I've been seeing a lot of birds out and about. Come on fall!

:D Thanks teacherboy! Im ready for the Fall turkey Season too!

Congrats Loggy on that spring bird. I know it is close to fall season but I have been busy. I hunted in Kansas and bagged two toms. Man they are covered up in birds but this year was tougher calling them in. I just got back to PA and started hunting them here. Around here it was almost the "silent spring". My son and I did get one day when they were sounding off near Williamsport. I called that tom down a couple of benches but he hung up at about 40 yds in thick brush and just would not come closer. Most of the time I was out which was 3 or 4 days a week I would hear one sound off before fly down but they just would not come in. I did pass on 3 jakes one morning.

I did see a big tom out behind my house and set up one morning on him but no go. I did have a hen step out of the woods about 60 yds away and she headed straight to my inflatable decoy setup. She nearly made me laugh out loud as she reminded me of old John Wayne the way she swaggered down the field. She was a putting and purring for fair. That hen sideled up to my decoy and proceeded to hit it so hard she knocked the stake right out of the ground. That took a pretty hard hit as I had to pound it into the hard ground. I feared that my decoy would not stand up to that abuse but she finally left and it was ok. I was afraid to make a sound because I figgured I would be next. Man what you see when you let the camera at home.

I did buy a little chair blind made by ameristep. I was in it that morning and sure did not want a mad hen in there with me.

Very nice bird loggy congratulations.. nice looking shotgun too.

Back