Opening day of Virginia youth season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLenn

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Was a good day for my 9 YO grandson. My SIL and the 3 grandsons(5, 9 & 11) were in the blind at day break and he said he thought he heard one gobble way off but wasn’t sure. He made one soft call and a minute or so went by and a hen flew down and landed in the food plot. A few minutes latter and 4 more hens showed up and not many minutes latter the “old boy” made his last appearance.

We did not get a weight on the bird but he was heavy and certainly 18#s plus.
He made a good shot at 35 steps and he was downed in his tracks. He had a 10.5” beard but the spurs speak for themselves. They were a good set of hooks and 1.5” long and very sharp. I have never taken any better!!! This is a true trophy eastern gobbler IMO.
KIMG4196.jpegIMG_8638.jpeg

I only take credit for the food plot!!

Heck yeah!!! That’s a beautiful bird!!! Pass on my congrats to the young man!!! :lewis:

Was a good day for my 9 YO grandson. My SIL and the 3 grandsons(5, 9 & 11) were in the blind at day break and he said he thought he heard one gobble way off but wasn’t sure. He made one soft call and a minute or so went by and a hen flew down and landed in the food plot. A few minutes latter and 4 more hens showed up and not many minutes latter the “old boy” made his last appearance.

We did not get a weight on the bird but he was heavy and certainly 18#s plus.
He made a good shot at 35 steps and he was downed in his tracks. He had a 10.5” beard but the spurs speak for themselves. They were a good set of hooks and 1.5” long and very sharp. I have never taken any better!!! This is a true trophy eastern gobbler IMO.
View attachment 43334View attachment 43335

I only take credit for the food plot!!
What he take him with? Gun and load?

He has an REM 870 youth model. Not sure what tube but pretty sure the shell was 3” Hornady Magnum Blends. They also worked the best in my Browning Gold Hunter in 20Ga with the Premos Tight Wade turkey tube. My 11-87 12Ga with the factory REM turkey full tube and 3” Winchester Long Beards #5 is my go to!!

Back