Long Range Elk Gun Prep - Season Over

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Regulars may recall that I’ve been diligently working on preparing two rifles for a NM Elk Hunt. The challenge was to shoot to 300 yards.

Well, I returned last night and will happily share that the work was not needed. I had a 85 yard shot. I did clip the front shoulder blade but the 545 lead conical, shot from my Super Disc 45, punched through and was found on the offside hide. Powered by 85 grains of Swiss Black, it was a very effective round.

After hunting the territory, a long range shot was a very likely scenario. I’m glad I didn’t have to test my skills.

This was my first guided hunt. It was an interesting experience. Sadly, it was supposed to be a Father / Son trip but my Son picked up Covid a week before and had to drop out. I went alone. Not ideal but the memories will be with me for a good long while.

Attachments

• C8F6ABF8-BC6A-49F5-86C7-F9A3384FDAE7.jpeg
    C8F6ABF8-BC6A-49F5-86C7-F9A3384FDAE7.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 79
  • CCBCF39B-82DF-4B0F-AA3D-FB63D3C62673.jpeg
    CCBCF39B-82DF-4B0F-AA3D-FB63D3C62673.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 76
Hot Dang Larry! You got it done. Congrats. Hope your son gets well soon.

Another great animal taken. Congrats on the successful hunt and on your son's successful battle with the virus!

Congrats on the hunt and success with Big Lead and Black Powder in the old SuperDISC.
Too bad about your son and him missing the trip.
Enjoyed your range testing prior to the hunt that you shared.

Happy for your success fellow hunter. I was able to hunt this season with my son in Utah. Would have been entirely different without him. So I very much feel for ya. Hope and best wishes to his health.

Congrats on one fine animal. Did the 85 seem like a chip shot after practicing at 300 all pre-season?

Congrats on one fine animal. Did the 85 seem like a chip shot after practicing at 300 all pre-season?

It was no problem. I had the perfect set up with shooting sticks and plenty of time for my heart rate to settle in. If anything, I was a little worried at the distance because I hadn't shot under 200 all summer. I knew it was 4" high at 100 and went from there.

Congrats on the hunt and success with Big Lead and Black Powder in the old SuperDISC.
Too bad about your son and him missing the trip.
Enjoyed your range testing prior to the hunt that you shared.

A little more on the Super Disc. I bought it at a Pawn Shop years ago. It came with a T-Hole Stock. After an initial shot or two, I paid it little attention until I drew this tag.

When forum members convinced me that big lead was the way to go, I glass bed an old Humpback Original Disc Stock I had sitting around with no butt pad or hardware. I bought a slightly ill fitting butt pad from a member and added the sling studs from an ebay puchase. I removed the ramrod slide ring from the barrell ( no stock hardware for it anyway ) and went with a CVA Paramount collapsable ramrod.

I had to add a 25 MOA scope rail as my Nikon Omega BDC bottomed out. I started with T7 3F ( cheap and readily availanble ) but ended up switching to Swiss Black as it proved more accurate. After all of the tweaking, it would shoot about 1.5 MOA with my skill set.

After all I've gone through and all I've learned I think the only thing I'd do different is that I'd buy a custom scope with a custom turret for the load. If I was presented with a long range shot and had to act quickly ( which was a likely scenario ), I would have had a little trouble setting up the drop on the fly. Especially since I now need cheater glasses to read the cheat sheet on my stock. Counting clicks would have been easier.

Attachments

• IMG_0724 (1).jpg
    IMG_0724 (1).jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 16
Back