Long range muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macon county boy

Reaction score
Is there a long range mler? I have a great place to hunt but it's open fields and the deer are always on other side of property.i have a knight disc 45 I've shot it at 200 yes with good luck but I need something g to shoot further.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

+1
I would love to get the Knight 500. .45, 1:20 twist. But it's $2k! I have the Accura v2 PR. CVA makes the LR but I'm waiting to see their Paramount or Accura LR in .45 1:20 supposedly coming out soon (2019).

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

Mountaineer 45 1-20 holds its own pretty well at Friendship. You will need an adjustable sizing die if you want to make it as easy as possible. Thats about another $160. Adding a Bestill bushing plug is highly recommended too.

Re: RE: Re: Long range muzzleloader

GM54-120 said:
Mountaineer 45 1-20 holds its own pretty well at Friendship. You will need an adjustable sizing die if you want to make it as easy as possible. Thats about another $160. Adding a Bestill bushing plug is highly recommended too.
I saw the 500 has a 1-18 twist

GM54-120 said:
Sizing die?

macon county boy said:
GM54-120 said:
Sizing die?

Swinglock adjustable sizing die. It will allow you to shoot resized 45cal bullets without a sabot. The sabot is the weak link in long range shooting. Just look at what wins at Friendship's inline matches. Its pretty much all sabotless and conicals.

macon county boy said:
GM54-120 said:
I saw the 500 has a 1-18 twist

Yes and a 500 is around twice the price too.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Long range muzzleloader

GM54-120 said:
macon county boy said:
GM54-120 said:
Sizing die?

Swinglock adjustable sizing die. It will allow you to shoot resized 45cal bullets without a sabot. The sabot is the weak link in long range shooting. Just look at what wins at Friendship's inline matches. Its pretty much all sabotless and conicals.
Ok

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Long range muzzleloader

macon county boy said:
GM54-120 said:
macon county boy said:
Sizing die?

Ok

I was wondering if my knight disc 45 could be fitted with a 1:20 twist barell

Find a Remington Ultimate that goes on sale after the season, then one of two things could be done.

1.... replace the OEM breech plug with the ASG Gen2 breech plug. You'll be able to shoot much heavier than production rifle charges and its a great long range rifle. There are a lot of newly designed bullets coming out for the 50's, that do not require sabots. However in most cases you'll need a sizing die to shoot sabotless from the 50.

2..... Buy the Remington Ultimate on sale after the season. Send it to one of the top builders and have them put a 45cal Brux barrel on it and it'll be capable of heavy charges beyond production rifles, including Knight. You'll need the sizing die, but you'll end up with a dandy long range rifle.

45cal said:
yep, but might be costly
I'm talking bestill about it I got to call him monday.if I cant do it cheaper than a new mountaineer then I'll just sell my 45 elite and buy new.

macon county boy said:
Is there a long range mler? I have a great place to hunt but it's open fields and the deer are always on other side of property.i have a knight disc 45 I've shot it at 200 yes with good luck but I need something g to shoot further.

Just out of curiosity - what range are you thinking when you ask "Long Range"?

There are few forum members shooting 300 yards with their factory Knight 45's.

sabotloader said:
macon county boy said:

At least 400 yds

macon county boy said:
sabotloader said:
macon county boy said:

At least 400 yds

You'll run pretty low on bullet energy with any production rifle at 400yds +

I briefly skimmed MO hunting regs and it looks like smokeless muzzleloaders .40 cal and larger are legal in your state (double check, very brief skim). As stated in a previous post, a rebarreled Rem. Ultimate muzzleloader would be your best bet IMO, not cheap but it would fit your 400yd shot requirement. You can also build on an old style Rem 700ML so no FFL is required but I lean towards the Rem Ultimate because of it's stainless steel Rem single shot centerfire action with locking lugs. With that rifle, you can use 209 primers, large rifle magnum primers, or direct ignition with LRMP.

macon county boy said:
sabotloader said:
macon county boy said:

At least 400 yds

I would go 1:20 or 1:18 for sure and go either fast and sabotless or slow with heavy lead . In my experience those two options are your best bet for that range.
My loads for example at that range are 140 gr Blackhorn with a sabotless 270 to 300 gr Bullet in a custom barrel , 120 gr Blackhorn and 270 to300 gr Bullet in a Knight 1:20 , or 90gr pyrodex and either a 465 to 520 gr lead conical . If your barrel isn’t custom 120 gr Blackhorn is the maximum recommended load. Those are my personal favorites, your mileage may vary

BuckDoeHunter said:
I briefly skimmed MO hunting regs and it looks like smokeless muzzleloaders .40 cal and larger are legal in your state (double check, very brief skim). As stated in a previous post, a rebarreled Rem. Ultimate muzzleloader would be your best bet IMO, not cheap but it would fit your 400yd shot requirement. You can also build on an old style Rem 700ML so no FFL is required but I lean towards the Rem Ultimate because of it's stainless steel Rem single shot centerfire action with locking lugs. With that rifle, you can use 209 primers, large rifle magnum primers, or direct ignition with LRMP.
I'm gonna wait until I talk to bestill creations to decide which way to go.

macon county boy said:
sabotloader said:
macon county boy said:

At least 400 yds

Well I am not a fan of thr RUM at all, although I know they work... but what you want can be had fairly easy just check with Jeff at BESTILL Creations - he has made some real beauties.

Check with him about rebuilding your 1-30...

Latest posts

Back