Looking for Recommendations for a RangeFinder???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
Okay Guys I have never used or even handle a Rangefinder yet but looking for some input as to which one would be good to use with a Muzzleloader. I am not rich but I am looking for one that will do the job.

Have seen Bushnell, Nikon & Leupold brands, so which one is worth the money and will do what we are after to know what the range of a Big Game Animal to help with what your rifle can shoot accurately?

Which one do you use and why did you choice it???

Thanks,
Mike/LFM

If you can swing it go with the Leica LRF 900, youll be glad you did. Much better than the others listed and only a little more. Save a few more pennies and get the Leica. If you just cant swing for the Leica go with the new Leupold LX, then Bushnell, and finally the Nikon. I have used the Leica, The bushnell and the nikon and IMHO the Nikon was the worst. I broke down and bought a Leica Geovid 10x42 Binocular/rangefinder and is a great tool, very expensive but it only hurts once and it will last a lifetime. Good Luck. Laker

I use a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 and I have no complaints with it. The rangefinder has done everything that I have asked of it. I mainly wanted one that would reliably range out to 500 yds. and this model does that. Price was also a consideration and this one fell into my price range at the time. I'm sure there are better rangefinders out there but this one fills the bill for me.

Is the Bushnell good for 1000 or is it limited to 800 yards being true and realistic. When I have read those that have them it seems that the model number like the Yardage Pro 1000 is not truly 1000 yards but Non- Reflective Target Distance. So what does this really mean since some list that information and others don't at least in some of the catalogs like Cabela's Shooting Catalog. The Bushnell has both non reflective and reflective target distances while Nikon does not...

I guess that is why I am looking into this trying to learn what i need to make a smart purchase...

Thanks for the posts...

LFM

Well, I don't believe I've ever got a reading over 600 yds. or so on a non-reflective object with the Yardage Pro 1000. That's why you don't want to buy a 500 yd. rangefinder if you're wanting to reliably range objects at 500 yards. That's why I went with the 1000, so I would be able to range things in the field consistently at 400-500 yards. So far, I've been able to do that with the Bushnell YP1000.

I've got a Bushnell Yardage Pro 500. For what I use it for it's fine. I've ranged trees at 300 yds with it. That's about farthest I'll ever need.

Check out the Bushnell Elite....run a search on this forum....aside from the unuseable light it is a marvel and at the money a true buy. Run the search. It is obvious people posting here have not had the opportunity to use one.

Thanks guys for the information I am just starting to look for a Rangefinder and hope to find one that is in my budget...

Take Care,
Mike / LFM

I've used Bushnell, Nikon, and now Leica. You really don't have to be very picky as ALL of them do a fine job...

I have a Nikon ProStaff 440 because I too have very limited funds. It does the job just fine. I have lasered trees at 300+ yards. I don't expect to ever take a shot over 300 yards. My biggest complaint is in low-light conditions. During the early minutes of daylight when the human eye can see things just fine, I can't see squat with the ProStaff 440. Its low-light ability is pretty poor. However once enough sunlight is present the clairity of the optics are just fine. I don't know if low-light clarity of other rangefinders are better or not, I only own the ProStaff.

I used a Bushnell Yardage Pro Scout range finder. It does everything need it to do, and it small to carry.

One heck of alot better than the RANGING 200 Rangefinder I use to carry for many years.

My suggestion is buy a leica, you won't ever regret spending the extra money. I started with Bushnell and finally bit the bullet for Lieca's. No comparison IMHO. I have yet to get a no read, the optics are better and my favorite difference is RED LED display (makes acquiring and seeing the read out a non issue in any practical light situation). The size is larger than the compacts but it really does help steady for ranging animals out further, when they are walking,etc.

Latest posts

Back