Looking To Buy A New Compound

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DW

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback.
What are you shooting, how is the hand shock, how would you rate it for quietness, is your current rig newb friendly or would it be better suited for an experienced shooter?

Anyone using the Speed Pro 5.5 or 6.2's arrows?

The early leader is the Diamond Marquis, I like the speed, seems to be quiet from what I can tell indoors, and the ATA should make for a little more forgiving bow since I have been out of the game for awhile. I have also looked at the Diamond Iceman but at that price I might as well go for a Bowtech. Thanks for any info.

I just bought a brand new still in the box, 2005 Hoyt VTEC. It is an awesome bow. My back up bow is a PSE Fireflight that I have had for about 5 years. Dont know much about the Diamond bows, but I know alot of guys like them. Good Luck in your purchace.

buy a mathews and be done with it

mine is a 1995 feather max 80% let off i shoot 75 lbs 29 in draw 300+ fps with carbon arrows (i shoot gold tips)

you wont regret it

biggest issue for me is setting them up is the fun part it shoots so good i have nothing to do

JD

I shoot a Bowtech Tribute.. 70# and love it! This was my first bow and if I can shoot it anyone can! Arrows impacting my bow target at 30 yds are louder than the bow itself.

I highly recommend one... The daimaond line is nice as well and I have shot a few Dranalins as well.. All great bows it mostly comes down to grip preference.. Bowtech/Diamond are skinny... Mathews is big and blocky..

just my observations.

There you have it, 3 responces, and you have heard Hoyt, Mathews, and Bowtech. :lol: You wont be disapointed with either one. But you really need to get out to your local bow shop, and shoot all of the bows you can get your hands on, before you make up your mind.

BigDaddy said:
There you have it, 3 responces, and you have heard Hoyt, Mathews, and Bowtech. :lol: You wont be disapointed with either one. But you really need to get out to your local bow shop, and shoot all of the bows you can get your hands on, before you make up your mind.

+1 on that. Good post.

I just bought a new bear lights out. The bow shoots awesome- smooth, shock free, and can you say acurate?

At $329 it cannot be beat!

go to your local shop and shoot some diferent models...

good luck

I bought a used Bowtech Allegiance this past season with the binary cam system and I absolutely love it.

I shoot a Diamond Liberty.
I think Diamond makes some of the best bows for the money.

But the real trick is not the brand, but the one that fits and feels right for your form geometry. You can only find this out by shooting them.

Narrow it down to your top picks and then go to a pro shop and shoot them.

I bought a Misson Journey this past fall. Other bows I shot and really considered were the Mathews DXT and Bowtech General. All really good bows. The DXT was noticably louder than the other two and the General shot like a dream but was somewhat heavy. The Journey was really quiet, pretty light, and still a sweet shooter. Here is the link to the Outdoor Life 2008 bow test. A REALLY good read.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/gear/2008/07/bow-test-2008?photo=0

Ive owned bunches and shot even more. I tend to always slip back to hoyts, only because they feel good in my hand and I have confidence I can kill with one when the time is right.

I am currently shooting a hoyt vectrix and love the bow. it is (or was early 07 when purchased) the smoothest drawing and quietest shooting bow I have ever handled.

DSC00332.jpg

you absolutely cannot go wrong with ANY bow on the market, no matter if priced at $300 or $900. the price or brand of the bow will have absolutely nothing to do with its killing abilities. it all depends on how smooth and quiet and fast you want it. do yourself a favor and go handle a handful of brands in your price range and see what feels good in your hand and then have the shop setup a couple of them for you to shoot.

we just picked up a new sponsor for the show so I MIGHT be changing over..we will see. I for one will not shoot a bow only cause they sponsor us...I gotta like the thing. BUT so far what I am hearing and reading from the guys this might be the machine in my hands this fall.

http://benpearson.com/html/tx4.html

tx4.jpg

Bows (what to buy)

I own a Hoyt now.Before a PSE, then a Browning.Before buying the Hoyt i checked out LOTS of bows.Its hard to choose.About all manufactures have at least one bow that i liked.Bowtech is a good bow and a good price.Igot the Hoyt because it was a little bit faster (not much)Mathews makes a real good bow.Do what i did and get online and check them all out,then go and check them out,see how they feel and then flip a coin.But i really do like my Hoyt. Good Luck Lightfoot :D

I also have a 2005? Hoyt Viper very good bow. I have the honor of having a National Champion as my salesman and shooting coach. He swears by Hoyt's
he could choose any bow to sell but he picks a Hoyt. He is often called upon to do final testing of bows before they hit the market. I don't think you can go wrong with one. But I also agree, you need to handle different ones to know for sure.
Doug

I have an bowtech admiral, and now an Elite GT500 on the way. The bowtech didn't work out and it's going. My little bear lights out is still a great bow!

There's a new company called new breed archery and they have some really neat bows- although they do resemble Elite's...

So- what did you end up buying?

b_vanfossen said:
I have an bowtech admiral, and now an Elite GT500 on the way. The bowtech didn't work out and it's going. My little bear lights out is still a great bow!

There's a new company called new breed archery and they have some really neat bows- although they do resemble Elite's...

So- what did you end up buying?
It actually came down to the GT500 and a High Country Speed Pro or Speed Force. The Speed Pro felt a little smoother than the Speed Force and the dealer did not have the modules to fit my draw length for the GT500. Went with the Speed Pro, 331fps @ 27" draw with 5.5 Speed Pro arrows.
Thanks for all the replies.

I have had just about every mathews, hoyt and bowtech that is concidered a hunting bow and some target bows. Hoyt is hands down the best for target and mathews is hands down the best for hunting. With BT a close behind in both. The marquise is a nice bow. a friend of mine has one and when he does his part she is right on target shot after shot. Its fast and quiet. If your looking for smooth and fast for hunting then take a look at the mathews S2 or if you can find one a left over switchback xt. The XT is fast smooth and very accurate. Its one i will never get rid of.

i have a mathews drenalin and have no complaints about it....its very smooth quiet and shoots very fast arrows. In the 300fps range....other good makes are bowtechs and hoyts....just see how they feel and shoot before buying and don't be to cheap (u get what you pay for).....i made that mistake and bought a darton for 350$ without testing it....i never felt comfortable with it and wasnt shooting that great with it...then i bought the mathews bow and everything changed......i can hit bullseyes at 40 yards now...and you could probably shoot out to nearly 60 yards with a decent amount of practice.

For those that like the Diamond Marquis, take a look at the Nitrous. It is built on the same riser and limbs with a different cam and cable guard, but for about $250 less :? . From all I have seen and hear, it is a great bow for the money. It is made for specific dealers, but can be had online for about $400.

I agree with Big. Shoot as many as you can. They're all going to have a different feel. The lighter the arrow the more noise the bow is going to make also. Unless you're after blazing speed. I own a couple of Mathews and I'm very happy with them.

Back