• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED/ISO Looking to buy a Ruger Old Army

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it is worth, as a former NMLRA competition pistol shooter (25 and 50 yd. matches) using flintlock, caplock and the Ruger Old Army revolver, I was interested in the best twist rate. Most of the other available revolvers, the Colt replicas for instance, had a twist rate around 1:32 as I recall (check an older Dixie Gun Works catalog's descriptions), but I found a friend who could measure the twist rate of an original Remington 1858 Army revolver. It was gain twist, ending in 1:16 twist at the muzzle. That takes skill to measure!

So the 1:16 twist of the Ruger Old Army doubtless was chosen wisely, based on the above knowledge. With the low powder charges used in competition to decrease both fouling and recoil, a distinctly faster twist rate all the more gives the Ruger Old Army an accuracy advantage, I believe. You will find the Master Class ML pistol shooters using Ruger Old Army revolvers, not the other available caplock revolvers. (The sights are better, too.)

May I suggest respectfully that the Ruger Old Army is no longer made and the price keeps going up. There are a lot of other caplock revolvers that could have their barrel shortened, or bought that way, and thus leave the prized Ruger Old Army as is.

Aloha, Ka'imiloa

For what it is worth, as a former NMLRA competition pistol shooter (25 and 50 yd. matches) using flintlock, caplock and the Ruger Old Army revolver, I was interested in the best twist rate. Most of the other available revolvers, the Colt replicas for instance, had a twist rate around 1:32 as I recall (check an older Dixie Gun Works catalog's descriptions), but I found a friend who could measure the twist rate of an original Remington 1858 Army revolver. It was gain twist, ending in 1:16 twist at the muzzle. That takes skill to measure!

So the 1:16 twist of the Ruger Old Army doubtless was chosen wisely, based on the above knowledge. With the low powder charges used in competition to decrease both fouling and recoil, a distinctly faster twist rate all the more gives the Ruger Old Army an accuracy advantage, I believe. You will find the Master Class ML pistol shooters using Ruger Old Army revolvers, not the other available caplock revolvers. (The sights are better, too.)

May I suggest respectfully that the Ruger Old Army is no longer made and the price keeps going up. There are a lot of other caplock revolvers that could have their barrel shortened, or bought that way, and thus leave the prized Ruger Old Army as is.

Aloha, Ka'imiloa
For the twist rates, I know that Pietta uses a slower 1:30 twist rate on most of their guns while the same Uberti guns have faster twist rates closer to 1:18

I do believe that some 2nd gen Colts have the option for a gain twist rifling though, along with the original Colts and Remingtons

And yeah, the ROA is the ultimate competition gun! In videos I have heard that the fixed sights version was created to make it eligible for certain competitions that don't allow adjustable sights.

On that website it states the pre warning ROA sell for much more.

Actually, that site states that the pre-warning models “command a modest premium” over adjustable-sight models.

When I read “modest premium,” I don’t think “sell for much more.”

EDIT- earlier, I typed “fixed sight,” when I meant to type “pre-warning.” My apologies.

Good catch, Sound Tribe! 👍

IMG_8354.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8354.jpeg
    IMG_8354.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Actually, that site states that the fixed sight models “command a modest premium” over adjustable-sight models.

When I read “modest premium,” I don’t think “sell for much more.”

View attachment 42668
Huh? The pre warning model I meant.

The one without the stamp on the barrel saying "black powder only" etc. But yeah the fixed sights are rarer as well.

The ones only stamped with "Ruger" marking are much rarer than the warning labeled ones. I've seen people in search of them on other forums, stating the increased price. I was just wondering how much more.

Edit- ah gotcha. I was confused haha

Last edited:
Back