looking to buy my first muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Elk

Reaction score
Hi there my name is Scott. First I want to thank you all for this wonderful ML site and for the info that I got form all the post.

I'm looking to purchase My first ML. My price range $500 Dollars. What Muzzleloader should I buy. :lol:

~Scott~

Where are you at and what do you plan to use it for? Also, do you know what your regs are?

Patricks question needs to be answered first.

But with that money I would start looking at Smokeless depending on answers to previous questions.

elkstalkr said:
Patricks question needs to be answered first.

But with that money I would start looking at Smokeless depending on answers to previous questions.

I agree! :D

If where you hunt allows the smokeless, I would advise the Savage ML2. I've never shot any of the black powder subs before. Always patched round balls and black powder. I bought a Savage and the difference is like night and day. Basically you are doing the same thing, dry breech/barrel, dry nipple area, powder first, patch and bullet. The sabots are quicker and handier to load. The ignition time on the Savage is instaneous. Plus, and a BIG plus, is cleanup. So much easier with smokeless powder. November is 8 months away. My advise, save your money and buy the Savage.

Go with the Savage you get the best of both worlds you can shoot smokeless or T7 great gun. :)

I love my T/C Omega. I would recommend you buy a 50 caliber for future versatility. Most states require at least 50 caliber for elk. If you can get an Omega for under $300, you won't be sorry.

And remember too, the gun is just the start of the costs. Lots of other things to buy to get started. Powderhorn, powdermeasure, possibles bag, powder, bullets, cleaning supplies........

Blue Elk, The BP guns are a hassle to clean.The Savage will do everything they can and then some,and you will not be all nite cleaning it.The powder and bullet combos are almost endless.You will not regret a Sav.10MLII.

Live in Arizona

First thanks for all the replies. I live in Arizona and will be hunting Elk, Deer and Javelina. If I can ever get drawn. I'm not sure if Arizona allows the smokeless ML. I will check on that. Thanks again.

Well this is what I found. In the AZG&FD Regs 2005-06 book.

15. "Muzzle-loading Rifle" Means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed ammunition, having a single barrel and single chamber, and loaded through the muzzle with black powder or synthetic black powder and a single projectile.

So what dose synthetic black powder mean. Thats not smokeless powder right? So it sounds like AZ doesn't allow smokeless. :roll:

So it sounds like AZ doesn't allow smokeless.

...and if you can't shoot smokeless, DON'T get a Savage... It would be a clean-up nightmare wth Triple Se7en or similar. An Omega would probably be your best choice currently.....

I disagree! The Savage is no harder to clean with black powder/subs than a Knight disc gun. One thing about having the Savage is the regs could change and you would be ready for smokeless.

dwhunter said:
I disagree! The Savage is no harder to clean with black powder/subs than a Knight disc gun. One thing about having the Savage is the regs could change and you would be ready for smokeless.

Have you ever shot Triple Se7en from your Savage? Seems to me it would be VERY hard to clean all the areas of the barrel around the breechplug. ALSO....the Savage is a two-piece breechplug design that would be somewhat of a headache. Not to mention that one would probably give up 100-150fps with equal loads when using the Savage with Triple Se7en as compared to the Omega because of the shorter barrel. I like the idea of an Omega AND a Savage! :D

big6x6 said:
dwhunter said:

Have you ever shot Triple Se7en from your Savage? Seems to me it would be VERY hard to clean all the areas of the barrel around the breechplug. ALSO....the Savage is a two-piece breechplug design that would be somewhat of a headache. Not to mention that one would probably give up 100-150fps with equal loads when using the Savage with Triple Se7en as compared to the Omega because of the shorter barrel. I like the idea of an Omega AND a Savage! :D

Not to mention many folks have stuck breechplugs in their Savages with Triple Seven. Randy even stuck one in a test gun once. :lol: I think Toby stuck a few too. He said that triple seven was not suitable for the Savage at one time until he found the solution, plumber's tape and anti-sieze grease. Seems like a lot of trouble to me.

Back to the original topic, I'd say Omega. Use the money saved and buy a good scope for it if it's legal.

Back