looking to buy my first muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called Knight Rifles today and found out the Knight Vision will be released at the end of this month. Starting with the big box stores first.
It may very well be the best breakopen yet. I look forward to it's release.

Just food for thought. :)

big6x6 said:
dwhunter said:
I disagree! The Savage is no harder to clean with black powder/subs than a Knight disc gun. One thing about having the Savage is the regs could change and you would be ready for smokeless.

Have you ever shot Triple Se7en from your Savage? Seems to me it would be VERY hard to clean all the areas of the barrel around the breechplug.

Yes I have and no it's not any worse than cleaning a Disc Elite.

Well I have yet to shoot any smokefull powder out of my Savage and don't plan too.

Why would I foul a perfectly good gun with pyrodex? Thats what I have my omega for. :)

elkstalkr said:
Well I have yet to shoot any smokefull powder out of my Savage and don't plan too.

Why would I foul a perfectly good gun with pyrodex? Thats what I have my omega for. :)

EXACTLY! :yeah:

Spare yourself the frustration and spend the extra dollar and buy a T/C Omega. A cheap starter may also be a turn off and you might end up disliking muzzleloading after a bad experience.
If you don't like the Omega, I 'm shure it will resell easier than some cheapo.

dwhunter said:
Yes I have and no it's not any worse than cleaning a Disc Elite.

I understand the Savage doesnt need cleaned everytime you shoot it. But when it needs cleaned it's no picnic. The Disc Elite with the quick release bolt cleans up much faster for me.

I'll take one good cleanng a year to one everytime I shoot it anyday..or should I say season...

15. "Muzzle-loading Rifle" Means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed ammunition, having a single barrel and single chamber, and loaded through the muzzle with black powder or synthetic black powder and a single projectile.

It's a moot point. Smokeless is not legal for Blue Elk. To me this eliminates the Savage as an option.

Blue Elk,
There's lot's of good choices out there. Make your pick and shoot the heck out of it. :D

Thanks for all the replies. I'm liking t/c Omega. How often do you have to clean a Muzzleloader? Do you have to clean after every shot Or can you shoot ten or so times and then clean. And are they that heard to clean?Thank again for all the help.

At the range I swab between shots, and I do complete cleaning after the range time is done. Sometimes if I am doing alot range work I may have to clean during the range time, but that's rare. ie really dirty plug or action.

While hunting it's depending the amount of days / shots / weather.

Blue Elk, I'm a newbie to Muzzleloading myself.
How I made my choice started with what kind of game I was most likely going to hunt with it and where.
I live in Central New York and will most likely always use my rifle on Whitetail and possibly a Black Bear if I'm lucky.
I went with a CVA Wolf Magnum break action .50 and last fall my friend got a TC Omega .50. Both of us are happy with our rifles and they will do the job we intend to use them for.
On the range we swab the bore with a wet patch and a dry patch between shots for repeatable accuracy. The biggest thing I've learned is how important doing the loading process the same way each and everytime is. Both of us are using Goex FFg Black Powder.
For us breaking the rifle down for a full cleaning happens after we are done shooting each time. For me thats only been 3 times so far. Once just after I got the rifle to get aquianted with it and twice after shooting on the range.
Whatever you do...DONT WAIT ANY LONGER to get into this Muzzleloading!!!
I am having a great time and I'm excited about shooting like never before 8)

Cleaning a T7 gun? First I shoot off the primer for a fowling shot on a clean gun. Then after each shot I run a spit patch thru the barrel twice...once on each side of the patch. After 8 or 10 shots or so I also loosen and retighten the breech plug just to make sure it's free. Clean up at the end of the day. And don't forget the breech plug grease. It's that easy and really a lot of fun. Good luck.

Back