loose powders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhead

Reaction score
i want to start using loose powder instead of pellets and dont know which one is better between shockey gold,777,and the new blackhorn 209.the powder will be used in a optima pro and win apex both 50 cal. anyone have any suggestions.
thanks,
scott

bh209.

I dont shoot the stuff do to me not being able to get it locally and shipping prices are crazy, So i use pyrodex rs and pyrodex P.

bh209 for me.shoots very well in my disc extreme,loads shot 20 as easy as shot 1.doesnt seem as corrosive either which is huge in my book.it is pricey,but worth it.

Triple 7 works good for me. BH209 has a good following, but is too expensive for me to try (at least until I shoot up the several pounds of Triple7 I have).

I shoot the Blackhorn 209 out of my .45 Optima Pro and get 1/2 groups at 100 yards. I would highly recommend the Blackhorn 209.

I have a new unopened can of T7, 3/4 can of Shocking Gold, and am going on my 3rd can of BH209. I guess that says it all :D . It's hard for me to go back to the other stuff. The T7 was great, the Gold wasn't accurate for me and Pyro was very accurate but sooo corrosive. The BH209 is super accurate, powerful, and the 30th shot loads and shoots right where the 2cd did.

yeah,you need to try diffrent powders/amounts in your gun. It will tell you which one it likes the best. My Pro Hunter likes 3 pyro pellets with a 250SW,and a Fed 209A primer. It also likes 120grs. FF T7 with the same bullet/primer,but I hate the crud ring! :? Clean up is a moot point with the T/C guns,as they are simple,and quick to clean up,so corossion isn't a concern. I've shot my gun on opening day,spit patched the bore,reloaded again,and left that load in for two weeks (during dry weather) and never had the first speck of rust anywhere in the gun. Now if it's raining,that a diffrent story. ALL FIRED powders ( even smokless powders) are HYDROSCOPIC (attract moisture like a sponge,some are worse,than others). If I fire the gun,and reload, then later that night after the hunting is over that day, I will tear it down,and clean it real well. Then reload for the next days hunt. No rust,no problems! Ron

Latest posts

Back