Low Pressure Powders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duhawki

Reaction score
In comparison to high powered rifles, smokeless muzzleloaders are bound to be relatively low pressure. Dan at SMI mentioned 30 ksi max. I think they have a pressure barrel. Given that, I would think we ought to be looking at some shotgun powders, like Lil' Gun, more carefully. And what about Trail Boss?

Your thinking is good, if the max pressures are actually 30K psi. However, I believe the pressures of the Sav are more in the 36K+/- 4K psi. Pressure Trace measurements, Ohler 83, and Quick Load all bare this out. Ltl Gun has a poor history. I personally know of 1 10-ML(mine) and 1 10-ML-2 that have been destroyed shooting comparatively modest doses of Ltl Gn. Ltl Gn yeilds widely variable pressures at the same loadings when at 45+gs with 250g bullets. It isn't consistent shooting at these higher pressures. There are SO many safer powders(like almost all other powders slower than VV-110). Most of the 45 cal smokeless MLers are shooting in the low 40s. 5744 45gs/300XTP(a Sav book load) is in the 40K psi range. Same bullet 42-44g VV-110 is in the mid 30s. Low pressure causes temp sensitivity to be greater than when shot at somewhat higher pressures. Low pressure isn't good in this respect. I love my SMI and its 300g bullet/72g 2015 which I do believe has near a 30K psi but it IS very temp sensitive. Savs are shooting at higher pressures. Just some thoughts.

I've heard some horror stories about Lil' Gun, but I've never heard a convincing explaination of why. My guess is that it might be a bit too fast. There are slower shotgun powders. I'm going from memory, but I believe Blue Dot is. I have some of that.

Anybody ever try Trail Boss?

Regarding pressure, you're probably right about values in the mid thirties being common. That is basically not so different from what I'm saying. In any case that means smokeless muzzleloaders run about the same pressures as low pressure rifles such as 35 Rem.

Duhawki said:
I've heard some horror stories about Lil' Gun, but I've never heard a convincing explaination of why. My guess is that it might be a bit too fast. .

I don't believe that Lil Gun is too fast. One big problem with this powder is it's shape. It is shaped in small balls and does not do well with the vent liner. The other thing is that it is hot powder and for some reason burnes vent liner up very quickly. Some had good shooting with Lil Gun but there are just other more reliable extruded and flake powders that are much better suited for the 10ML.........Doug

Latest posts

Back