Lucky Bastard

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DE_Shooter1

Reaction score
That would be me, my first deer with a muzzleloader.  I headed out this morning on this second day of muzzleloader season and this last week of deer season here in Delaware. It was 20* at 6am when I got out to my new hunting location and then a 1200yds walk down the logging road to set up my seat. By 7:30 the wind started blowing and my shivering got worst. At about 8:30 I had enough and decided to get moving to warm up some. I knew that there were deer at this location; I just didn’t know what time they were coming through. So I did a stalk further down the logging road back into where the loggers stopped. I saw a lot of tracks since the big rain but nothing new.

At 10am I decided that I would head back to my SUV which was over a mile walk and have another try at the deer tomorrow. It was a slow stalk down the road as I was looking at everything around me. Then all of the sudden in front of me at 70 yds (I ranged it afterwards) this buck walked out onto the logging road. I had to quickly pull back my wool mitts, cock the ML and get up on my shooting stick (that I also use as a walking stick).

When I got him in the scope he was looking right at me, I but the cross-hairs on his shoulder and “BAM”. He bolted crossed the road and into the thicket, when I went looking for a blood trail there was nothing.  Then that feeling came over me, "I missed" so I decided to do a grid search and look for blood where I saw him go into the bush. No blood but I found him lying about 60yds in. Never did find a blood trail.

40c2aa2f-02af-4059-9bdf-c8a53421f437_zps6seefhui.png

That blood you see in the pic is the exit wound. I shot him on a slight angle, the bullet took out the left lung and exited out the right side. Thing is I think the 250gr Barnes Expander-MZ never expanded. The entrance hole was about the size of a nickle and the exit hole was about the size of a quarter.

One good thing is that we're allowed to drive our vehicles down the logging road to retrieve deer.
IMG_3913_zpsaxgwt6wz.jpg

Congratulations.

That exit wound in the guts would tend to plug up with intestines etc. thus almost stopping any blood flow. I assume you hit him in the left shoulder area and the ball angled back.

patocazado said:
That exit wound in the guts would tend to plug up with intestines etc. thus almost stopping any blood flow. I assume you hit him in the left shoulder area and the ball angled back.
Good call :cheers:
I added a note to my first post

Congrats!! Nice deer and a good story to go with it.  Every hunter needs Lady Luck to smile at them once in awhile.

Awesome job and story!  What kind of walking/shooting stick are you using if you don't mind?

I usually carry one of those wire frame set-ups with a piece of canvas sewn across the top. It folds up on itself and weighs about 18-20 oz.
If I'm going to bother with a chair, I want one with arm rests to prop my elbows on. It really steadies the rifle for longer shots.

patocazador said:
If I'm going to bother with a chair, I want one with arm rests to prop my elbows on. It really steadies the rifle for longer shots.
Nope, doesn't work for me. What I use is perfect for how I hunt.

Congratulations,I wish our Oklahoma muzzleloader season lasted longer.Ours is over by the end of October.

fdf said:
Why is profanity needed in the subject header?
He was referring to himself in that manner.

I swear at myself once a day at-least. It's easier than trying to kick myself in the pants. :affraid:

rmclaughlin said:
Congratulations,I wish our Oklahoma muzzleloader season lasted longer.Ours is over by the end of October.
Can't you use your muzzleloader during regular rifle season in Oklahoma?

Yes muzzlenut you can.I was simply trying to congratulate a hunter.I envy hunters that are still hunting.Not trying to start a debate have better things to do.

Nice one! Good job on him.

A quarter size exit hole is about right for a lung shot with a barnes.

Great job! It's nice when it happens like that once in a while!

The buck I shot this year with a Barnes 245 gr Spitfire MZ also didn't have much of an exit hole.

Upon examination the next day, the bullet entered between two ribs, went through both lungs and existed between two ribs.

Dead in 75 yds, but minimal blood trial and small exit hole, but when I opended him up he was full of blood.

Thunder5 said:
but when I opened him up he was full of blood.
Yea, I noticed that to. While dressing him out I had blood up to my elbows.  But I will say that expander blew the left lung in three pieces

Latest posts

Back