Lyman 57 SMET Accuracy question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Attached is the best 200 yd. 3 shot group with open sights I've ever had. Only problem is my groups at 100 are not even close to this. Maybe 3 inches apart which is OK but not what I'd hoped for. I'm thinking I just got lucky at 200, 3 times. (shooting 90 gr. Pyrodex P and 460 gr. bullshop conicals) Kind of afraid to shoot any more at 200 as it'd damage my ego. Now gotta shoot between 100 and 200 to get my turret dialed in. I've checked the Lyman turret and to me it seems a little wiggly and not rock solid. I can't really tighten anything else up as it just seems like the slider isn't as tight as I'd hope for. Anyone else test their Lyman and found it to move at all?200 yd open sights with White Ultra Mag.jpg

I think you called it. If your 100 yard groups are 3 moa or so then you just got lucky at 200 and three went near one another.

This is the issue with 3 shot groups - they aren’t statistically valid for predicting the future. You need a 10-30 shot group to really know what the rifle will do.

No, my 57SMETs don’t move.

Maybe to clarify, my sight doesn't "move" but if I grab it and test the tightness, it has a tiny bit of "play". Not permanent movement but it seems the slider isn't totally rigid.

Attached is the best 200 yd. 3 shot group with open sights I've ever had. Only problem is my groups at 100 are not even close to this. Maybe 3 inches apart which is OK but not what I'd hoped for. I'm thinking I just got lucky at 200, 3 times. (shooting 90 gr. Pyrodex P and 460 gr. bullshop conicals) Kind of afraid to shoot any more at 200 as it'd damage my ego. Now gotta shoot between 100 and 200 to get my turret dialed in. I've checked the Lyman turret and to me it seems a little wiggly and not rock solid. I can't really tighten anything else up as it just seems like

the slider isn't as tight as I'd hope for. Anyone else test their Lyman and found it to move at all?View attachment 36767
My 451 White M98 loved 90gr of P shooting the 475gr Whitworth bullet.

I can't shoot like that at 25 yards! If you end up shooting like that on a regular basis I'll be happy to hang your picture in my living room!! :dance::2cool:

Well that is some darn good shooting luck or not. If I would have shot that group I'd be strutting like a love sick gobbler.
Move a click or two left and see if you can come close to duplicating it.
I have an inkling that because it was 200 yards you were concentrating a lot more than when you shot at 100. Focus Grasshopper and may the force be with you....LOL

Back