Lyman Break-away or Ruger bolt action ML???????

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

Reaction score
Does anyone have ANY info on either the Ruger bolt action muzzleloader (not currently produced) or the Lyman Mustang Break-away muzzleloader (still produced)? And is the stock on the Lyman really wood? Says it's "enhanced walnut" whatever that is. Which is the better shooter?

I can not comment on the Ruger but the Lyman i have handled. The finish did not appear to be real solid walnut but looked very nice. The receiver appeared to be made of steel and locked up very solid when closed. The quality appeared average to above average and very solid. The safety did appear to be a bit hard to operate (stiff).

I see the Lyman Mustang on closeout pricing in the $250 range or less and IMO that isnt bad at all. As far as i know they are no longer made. My Cabelas had one for $229 then marked it upto $299 (i think) the last time i saw it. The barrel was Italian if i remember correctly but there is nothing wrong with Italian barrels. They have some of the strictest regulations on proof testing.

The Mustang shouldered well for ME but the balance want quite ME. I have thought about getting one and turning it into a carbine. IMO the Pedersoli Denali was a far better gun and very similar to the Mustang but thats just an opinion. Im still kicking myself for not getting a Denali when they blew them out for $129.

The Lyman has a faux finish over beech or birch. The Rugers also have a hardwood stock.

I have not handled a Lyman in-line but I do own a Ruger 77/50.

The Ruger I have is the one with a hardwood stock and blue barrel. It has a working 21" barrel and is very accurate. I bought an after market trigger sear and spring to improve upon the factory trigger. I tried the Cabela's 209 conversion but did not like it and was satisfied with #11 cap and T7 loose powder. I have not shot it for a couple of years because I prefer the .45 cal Knight DISC Elite that I have. I think the load I was using in the Ruger was 85 gr. FFFg T7, .45 cal 250 gr XTP/SST in a 50/45 Harvester smooth short black sabot and CCI #11 cap. With mine, I need to make sure that the #11 cap is seated fully or the first pull of the trigger with seat it for me and not go off. It is a light, well balanced rifle and have no plans to part with mine.

so can anyone comment on how the lyman shoots? handles pretty nice in the store, but damn, hard to find reports on how it shoots :-\

Matt

Back