Brand new Lyman Deerstalker

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After inquiring at the Gun Works in Oregon nearly 9 months ago about a Lyman Deerstalker, and being told they were being discontinued, I got an email from them last week saying that they’d received two of them from Lyman, which was still trying to honor open orders from before Covid- and asked if I still wanted one. So, securing the wife’s permission, I placed the order and it arrived today. It is a sharp looking gun, nice wood stock…a little more “solid” looking than my Traditions Deerhunter {though that one dropped a deer just fine last season). I gave the gun a good once over, cleaned out the bore with both saturated and dry patches, ran some rust prevent patches and ballistolled the whole exterior and it is now put away nicely till I can get it to the range in the next couple of weeks. I am super excited about it, because it was the hunting gun I originally wanted. Of course the problem is that now I have three side locks…and truth be told, I am still inclined to take the Deerhunter out to the woods because it was a cheaper gun and already has some scuffs and such on it so I don’t feel the need to treat it gingerly.

Along with the Lyman, I bought the 57 SML sight that is supposedly made for it…I did not put it on yet…the gun came with nice fiber optic iron sights…I may hold on to the Lyman sight and have it professionally installed or…I don’t know…but since the sight was discontinued too, I thought it safer to buy it when I could and decide what I want to do with it later.

Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement.

Congratulations Black Powder Guy. After your assistance in helping the guy have a hunt with his daughter or granddaughter I think you are being blessed for doing a good deed. How about a pic of the new gun??

Very nice. I almost bought a deerstalker flintlock kit a while back.
But I hesitated and waited too long. Snooze, you lose.
Midway had them for a good price. All gone now.

Congratulations Black Powder Guy. After your assistance in helping the guy have a hunt with his daughter or granddaughter I think you are being blessed for doing a good deed. How about a pic of the new gun??

Attachments

• 323C56F0-7E0B-4261-BB2C-F71C5E28B55D.jpeg
    323C56F0-7E0B-4261-BB2C-F71C5E28B55D.jpeg
    944.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 30821B0E-E535-45D9-AC03-8F41AE666D01.jpeg
    30821B0E-E535-45D9-AC03-8F41AE666D01.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Accurate and very handy, they're my favourites. Have got one in flint, the other percussion; both 54s. 57SML on the percussion.

Don't understand why Lyman would give up on some of their best products. Must not have been big money-makers.

Latest posts

Back