LYMAN DEER STALKER???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesmoke

Reaction score
O.K. guys I've got the bug for another smoke pole. Looked at the Stalker today, the rifle felt good and seemed well built (the 24"brl balanced nicely). I'm actually interested in the 54cal, yes I know the 50cal might be more practical but I've always wanted a 54 :D . My question is how heavy of a conical will a 1-48" twist 54 stabilize (I would like to shoot a 425gr)? What is a good starting charge weight for accuracy in the 54? How 'bout' powder granulation, is the 54 primarily a 2F caliber or can one also use 3F? Any good input would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Whitesmoke

whitesmoke, ive got a t/c renegade .54. havent ever shot conicals out of it, i actually purchased it so that i could shoot roundballs. at 50 yards it shoots roundballs pretty well w/ 90-100 grains 2f blackpowder. actually, i seemed to be getting more strays as i went up in the powder charge, so 90 grains was the load i settled on. if i remember correctly, i was getting 2-3" 5-shot groups (at 50 yds). that's with the crude t/c sights.

the renegade has the same 1-48" twist as the deerstalker, and i believe that it will shoot conicals very well. i'd try the t/c maxi-balls @ 430 grains. if you are set up for lead casting, that'll be a lot cheaper. i shoot roundballs in mine cause it has a steel buttplate and i don't find it comfortable to shoot with heavy conicals. the deerstalker has a recoil bad, tho . . .

with conicals i'd start with a slightly lower powder charge, say 70 or 80 grains 2F, and then work your way up until you find the charge that groups best. not sure about the deerstalker, but my renegade will take a full 120 grain charge of 2f and a 430 grain maxi-ball. that packs a wallop on both ends! i'd also experiment with 3f, but keep in mind that the maximum loads listed for the gun are for 2f (3f produces more pressure).

btw, i just ordered a deerstalker myself :D . ive been wanting a flintlock for some time now, and the deerstalker is the cheapest good-quality flintlock available for someone like me who just wants to give rocklocks a try. i ordered one of the "reconditioned" deerstalkers from lyman's webpage fer $230.

The Lyman manual says max load is 110grs 2Fg or 90grs 3Fg for a 450gr conical. In my GP Hunter I have not shot that heavy of conical, but do use 90grs 3Fg for a 250gr/300gr sabot or Buffalo ball-ettes.

n8dawg6 says
"i shoot roundballs in mine cause it has a steel buttplate and i don't find it comfortable to shoot with heavy conicals. the deerstalker has a recoil bad, tho . . ."

How do you guys stop from killing your shoulders? My Lyman GP Hunter has an extremely sharp metal butt plate.

alrayg1954,

In response to your question, How do you guys stop from killing your shoulders? My Lyman GP Hunter has an extremely sharp metal butt plate

Maybe try a PAST recoil shield, try Midsouth shooters or Midway; those GPRs' are great looking rifles but that crescent shaped steel buttplate.....OUCH!

Whitesmoke

BTW, is your Lyman a 50 or 54?

i have read elsewhere that the crescent buttplate is meant to be fired from the bicep. i have fired crescent buttplate guns, but never like that. the renegade has a flat buttplate, it's just hard. ive found that a recoil pad helps a lot . . . doesnt even have to be thick, just less hard than steel :D

While I do not have a DeerStalker, I do shoot a .54 caliber Lyman Trade Rifle. The next up in the food chain you might say. Like yours, it also has a 1:48 twist.

I have had real good accuracy shooting 405 grain Powerbelts. Also 310 grain ball-et made by Buffalo Bullet co. Another good projectile are the Lyman Maxiball. I shoot all of them with 90 grains of Goex 2f. Being a flintlock, I have little choice in the kind of powder.

It also shoots roundball excellent. Again, with 90 grains of Goex 2f and a .530 patched ball.

Good luck with your rifle's guys, your really going to like them. Be sure and chech the thimble rib screws (located under your ramrod of course) and make sure they are tight. Other then that the Lyman is a great shooting rifle. I intend to give mine a day or two this season to see it its a lucky day....

Latest posts

Back