Lyman GP “Hunter” .54 Cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
Decided to take My Lyman Great Plains “Hunter” .54 Cal out this morning and test 1 of my BIG Grease Groove bullets in it, The Bullet i used is Accurate Molds #54-510M, I had the Mold cut oversize So my bullets weigh a bit more, They are right at 525 Grains. My powder charge was 85 Weight Grains of Swiss 2F powder, This Rifle shoots REALLY well :yeah: It took me some time to like this Rifle, After some Modifications i can say I really like the Gun. But I stil MUCH prefer my TC’s with Green Mountain LRH barrels, Hard to argue with the Performance of the Lyman GPH, This thing has Shot everything i have thrown at it from Good, to Excellent. I can’t remember 1 single bad outing with this Rifle? Anyone on the Fence about buying a Fast Twist Bullet Sidelock, This is a Good Gun :yeah: there’s Not Many Current production Fast twist Bullet Sidelocks out there. These Lyman GP “Hunters” Both the .50 and .54 have a 1:32 Twist, And as a Bonus you could buy a Roundball twist barrel for it :yeah:

The Rifle, This thing is Looooong :lol:
tqLoJTr.jpg

The Bullet, VERY similar to the Bullshop .504 in design
5LnZooS.jpg

My first 3 shots
5HQUwwM.jpg

And my last 3 making 6 shots total, I pulled one low and ruined my Group! :D It’s pretty obvious where this rifle shoots as long as i do my part :yeah:
wll8n9F.jpg

The 5 Shots are 2” on the dot from outside edge to outside edge, and that low “my fault” shot took it out to 3” I’m pleased with it, Would make a Good Elk Hunting Rig :yeah:

Harleysboss said:
I would say she likes that load just fine. Ol wapiti would have some serious issues if smoked through the slats with that :yeah:

There was a BIG Cow standing on the Hillside i shoot in to The other morning, She was on Fair Ground there in our late Muzzleloader window we get :yeah:

edmehlig said:
How’s your shoulder and cheek? :wink: :D

LOL! This Ole Gal Kicks like a Mule with these 500 plus Grain bullets! Might have something to do with the shot that went a little low? :lol: This Long 15/16” Barrel Just isn’t the Same as my 1” Green Mountain LRH Barrels, They kick hard as well with these BIG bullets, But not as hard as this Rifle does. I couldn’t imagine shooting this thing with these big heavy loads the way it Came, That Crescent Butt plate was “SPOOKY” Sharp on this Gun! That was 1 of my first Mods to it, I took the Butt Plate off and Rounded that RIDICULOUSLY sharp edge off with my Dremel and a Sanding wheel, Reblued it, Added some Memory Foam in the Crescent, and then installed the Lace Up pad. Before i fixed it, If you were to make a Mistake and get that Top sharp end in the Shoulder Wrong and touch 1 of these BIG heavy loads off it would have HURT ya!! It was a Knife type edge, RIDICULOUS!

Sorta reminds me of the Ole Boy in the Pawn shop Many years ago that Handed me a .378 Weatherby Magnum, might of been a .460 Weatherby? Either way it was a BIG UN! I looked the rifle over and admired the Fancy wood of the Mark V Stock, The Ole Guy that handed it to me said “Son, When you shoot that Rifle you need to be parked close by or you might forget where you parked your Car!!” :lol: :lol: I can stil remember the look on that Guy’s face like it was yesterday, He was dead serious! He had a pair of Slim glasses on, and when he told me what he did, he had moved them glasses out to the tip of his nose to look at me :lol:

1874sharpsshooter said:
My GPH 54 loves 110 gr 3f and a 425 gr conical. Used that load for years

That is a STOUT load, No doubt it was getting with it! 80-85 Grains of Swiss 3F is the heaviest I’ve tried in 3F, I have gone up to 130 Grains of Swiss 2F in my .58 Cal Navy Arms Hawken Hunter and a Patched Roundball, This Navy Arms HH was supposedly proofed with 200 Grains of 3F, I’ve read that anyway. Val Forgett Sr. (Owner of Navy Arms) used his Hawken Hunter .58 Cal to take many of Africa’s Dangerous Game, I’ve read his load of choice was a 610 Grain Minie and 180-190 Grains of 3F

1874sharpsshooter said:

OUCH!! My shoulder is turning black and blue just thinking about load. The metal but plate on that Renegade doesn't help. I think it's time for this WUS to get a SOFT recoil pad for it. :oops: :D

edmehlig said:
1874sharpsshooter said:

OUCH!! My shoulder is turning black and blue just thinking about load. The metal but plate on that Renegade doesn't help. I think it's time for this WUS to get a SOFT recoil pad for it. :oops: :D

I really like These Action Lace up pads i have on my Renegades, They have a Gel insert inside of them that definitely helps :yeah: I got mine from Buffalo Arms, The Medium is a little big, i ended up going with 1 Medium and had to trim away quite a bit to get the fit right, and punch new Holes. I ended up getting 2 or 3 of Smalls for my others and they fit without any Trimming. I like the Looks of these better than the Cheap rubber slip ons

Back