Lyman Plains 50 Fans?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaho PRB

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from those that like the Lyman 50 Plains Bullet. Tell me about your experiences and methods for casting, sizing and lubing. How about loads, accuracy and trajectory? Thanks in advance.

My Firehawk ( 1-38 twist) loves them.
I use 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black, and a .54 lubed Ox Yoke wad. I use SPG for the lube.
From my 24 inch barrel, I get 1350 fps. Variation, actual not calculated, s 22 fps.
Swabbed between shots, my 100 yard 3 shot groups average 1& 1/2 inches. Almost as good as my sabot loads.
Recoil is ...brisk. Firehawks are light, but well stocked.
Cast of pure lead, I did open the hole in the sprue plate a wee bit. Helps with fill out. If you do this, open it from the BOTTOM side. It avoids raising a burr.
Good fortune to ya.

My Firehawk ( 1-38 twist) loves them.
I use 70 grains of 3f Swiss Holy Black, and a .54 lubed Ox Yoke wad. I use SPG for the lube.
From my 24 inch barrel, I get 1350 fps. Variation, actual not calculated, s 22 fps.
Swabbed between shots, my 100 yard 3 shot groups average 1& 1/2 inches. Almost as good as my sabot loads.
Recoil is ...brisk. Firehawks are light, but well stocked.
Cast of pure lead, I did open the hole in the sprue plate a wee bit. Helps with fill out. If you do this, open it from the BOTTOM side. It avoids raising a burr.
Good fortune to ya.
Thank you, that helps a ton. How much did you open the sprue plate?

When I was looking for a replacement for the Hornady 410 gr flat point I tried the Lyman. My 50 yard groups were minute of barn door.
I moved on after poor results. I even tried paper patching them. Nothing seemed to help. I was using SPG lube. But I honestly think if I tried it again I would look at hardness.
But again if I'm being honest. The Lee 500S&W bullet is superior in every way in my opinion.
I have taken and i have seen a ton of game taken with the 500S&W bullet. It's so much better I sold the Lyman mould and never looked back.

Irrc, I opened it to 1/8 inch. It takes a more substantial whack to cut the sprue, but its worth it.
I like the Lyman molds because they're steel. I have aluminum molds too, but they're not quite as consistent in terms of heat related variations. Also, steel is alot more durable.

When I was looking for a replacement for the Hornady 410 gr flat point I tried the Lyman. My 50 yard groups were minute of barn door.
I moved on after poor results. I even tried paper patching them. Nothing seemed to help. I was using SPG lube. But I honestly think if I tried it again I would look at hardness.
But again if I'm being honest. The Lee 500S&W bullet is superior in every way in my opinion.
I have taken and i have seen a ton of game taken with the 500S&W bullet. It's so much better I sold the Lyman mould and never looked back.
I see it's .501", thus the paper patch, eh?

At the hardness I cast them. They come out at 458 grains. The expanded bullet was dug out of my bull in 2020.

Attachments

• 20200901_194632.jpg
    20200901_194632.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_201905.jpg
    20201010_201905.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_201928.jpg
    20201010_201928.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back