lyman plains rifle ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyss

Reaction score
I have a lyman plains rifle in 50cal at least that's what marked on the barrel. but when loading found its bore to 54 cal
is this a common thing that's was done. the rifle was made in the 70s :?:

Probably been rebuilt,machined or reemed to 54cal.and new lands cut.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

thanks curly its a real nice rifle that shoots patched ball nice. I bought it from a guy down
in Louisiana that built it in the early 70s he sold it as a 50 cal on gunbrokr tried getting back to him
but he went off line he was an old timer. any way nice wood and hardware with a bright bore

If its a Lyman Barrel and marked as so on the barrel as a .50 caliber. And yet loads a .54 caliber, it had to have been re-bored. I have two Lyman Great Plains rifles and they are true as marked. Same as my two Lyman Trade Rifles. So I don't know what to tell you.

I have a great plains rifle I bought in 1998, shot competition at a black powder club in till 2009 ran my own ball,made a tool for my drill press too cut my patches, won powder at matches,the only thing I had to by was flint I never learned to nap flint. O well it was still pretty cheap shooting.barrels getting somewhat worn up to .024 thick patch now.Maybe someday I will get a nice green mountain drop in barrel for it. Happy shooting [emoji4]

curly84 said:
I have a great plains rifle I bought in 1998, shot competition at a black powder club in till 2009 ran my own ball,made a tool for my drill press too cut my patches, won powder at matches,the only thing I had to by was flint I never learned to nap flint. O well it was still pretty cheap shooting.barrels getting somewhat worn up to .024 thick patch now.Maybe someday I will get a nice green mountain drop in barrel for it. Happy shooting [emoji4]

You'll have to talk GM into making a drop in barrel first. Easier and cheaper to just get another Lyman barrel.

They already make a drop in barrel For my gun thay have For years!

They used to. They stopped a few years ago. You can still use a GM barrel, but it won't be a drop in.

I just double checked to see if they had started to do it again. It was longer than I thought. They stopped 4-5 years ago and no plans to do it again.

Ok well

Maybe I can get a over size 50cal. Mold or get my mold made bigger. But after 10,000 rounds up the pipe I can see why I'm up to a .024 patch

Maybe this

Thinking about this,having my old barrel bord out to .62cal. To shoot a smooth bore shotgun,buy a new 50or 54cal. Rifle barrel from Lyman as a replacement,been considering this for a while .

I'm sure your Lyman was bored out to .54. Funny that whoever did it didn't XX out the .50 and restamp with .54.
Nothing wrong with a .54. IMO it's a better caliber for big game than the .50 with PRB.

Latest posts

Back