Mama's cornbread recipe

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
This could be one of the most important life changing post ever on modern muzzleloader!
One cup of white cornmeal
A cup and a half of yellow corn meal
One cup of flour
Two and a half tablespoons of sugar
Three tablespoons of baking powder
One tablespoon of baking soda
3/4 tablespoon of salt
Two eggs beaten
Two cups of buttermilk

9x13pan smear pan with oil coating,,bake 20 minutes at 425 degree's

You can always add a cup of chopped jalapenos and cilantro and a can of creamed corn when I do that I add just a little bit more milk sometimes and sometimes a third egg, I don't go by the 20 minutes always I just keep an eye on the cornbread turning the light gold on the top.

Putting in the cilantro.... you might as well put in a handfull of dirt, it would taste the same! Love the bacon grease but would rather see the batter poured in a very hot cast oron skillet and listen to the sizzle as you"re pouring it!
Don't ask me why I weigh just a tad over 300lbs!!!

Sounds great, Mnt monkey- thanks for sharing! 👍

I LOVE cilantro! It’s great to go places in the Southwest, when it’s available as a condiment.

When I was first introduced to cilantro, I didn’t care for it. Then, I realized that it is delicious!

If any of you cilantro-haters ever change your mind, let me know.

Maybe I’ll send you a button, to commemorate the change! 😆

DDD1C5BF-E1F5-44BC-8C19-518367FC369F.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to really hate the stuff but in the past couple of years have goten used to the taste and now it's not quite so bad. Maybe I will grow to like it! We'll see!!!
Big John
If you ever do one of those DNA tests one of the things they report on is "Dislike of Cilantro" -- Apparently, it is genetic as to wether you like or not -- go figure. I love the stuff. Rank it right up there with butter, salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder...

My dislike of cilantro is because it tastes like soap to me. So does coriander, which is the seed of the cilantro plant. I believe the taste factor may be genetic. I can take either in small amounts. However, when people load their pico or salsa up with it, I'm out. I know people who love cilantro so much they will make it into a pesto. That is way too much for me.

Back