Man I love the 270gr Deep Curls

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banerbird

Reaction score
I got a nice 9pt opening morning of our gun season. He was about 75yds facing me. I would have liked to take a broadside shot, but there was a doe under my stand who was acting a little spooky, so I took the shot. I put the crosshairs at mid neck (he was sniffing the air) and let her rip. When the smoke cleared, he was laying there. I was using a TC Black Diamond topped with a 2-7 Nikon ProStaff. The load was a 270gr Deep Curl and 110gr 777 pellets. At the range, I cloverleaf them at 50 yds and get 1" groups @ 100yds, so I wasn't afraid of the shot placement.

Sorry for not getting good pics. I was in a hurry after and didn't think about taking any. These are actually from a friend's phone.

2012Gun1.jpg

2012Gun2.jpg

2012Gun3.jpg

This has been a great year for me. It's not a ML, but 2 weeks prior during bow season, I took a decent 8pt at 25yds.

2012Bow2.jpg

I wish I had my hunting buddy (my son) with me during our gun season (see pic from last year in West Virginia). He would have loved watching that doe under my stand (she was there for an hour even after I shot and got out of the stand to check on him she followed me back to the stand). But he decided to stay home and play with his Aunt. I can't blame him. He is only 3.

willhunting3.jpg

For some reason, I can't get the pics to show up. Any assistance would be great. I clicked the Img tab, copied the web address, then clicked the Img tab again. What am I doing wrong? The pics are in Photobucket which I've used before. I tried to do exactly what I did before, but no luck.

Nevermind...

Banerbird said:
and let her rip. When the smoke cleared, he was laying there. quote]

LOL I loved that line! Thats the best part of Muzzleloading!
Congrats on a fine buck and nice shot. And the pics show up on my end just fine.

I shoot the same rifle and it is just an excellent shooting rifle. Just hard to beat. Congratulations on a fantastic buck.

As for your hunting buddy.. at that age they like playing sometimes more then sitting in the woods. Thank goodness they grow into hunting when given the opportunity.

:D

Nice buck there buddy!!!!!! Another year or two and that little guy will be ready to go.......

Ray....... :wink:

hawgslayer said:
:D

Another year or two and that little guy will be ready to go.......

Ray....... :wink:

I was able to get him out 2 hunts this year in WV. The weather was good enough so I asked him. He couldn't get ready fast enough. I don't have them yet, but my wife took a few pics of him, my Dad, and I on our 4 wheeler heading out the first evening. He fell asleep on the way (easy road travel, but my Dad can't take the walking anymore), fell asleep while we were sitting (after about an hour of hunting and playing), and fell asleep going back to the house. (I think the riding really relaxes him) I keep asking my daughter if she wants to go (I took her several times when she was younger. She's 6 now) but she's not enthused on watching a deer get shot. She does like eating it though, so I'll take it. My Dad told me last year not to expect to see much with little ones. He's right, but I don't really care. I'm happy my girl went with me and now my boy's going. My wife's happy too. It gets him out of her hair for a few hours.

I get excellent 100 yard groups with the 270 DC in my CVA Apex with 110 grains of BH209. What kind of exit holes have you had? Have you "double lunged" one yet? Decent exit wounds?

All but one shot (6 deer total for me, 3 for my dad, and 3 for a friend of mine) were passthroughs. The one that wasn't was the one from last year. He was facing me and I put it right below the white spot on his neck. I was in a hurry that day and forgot to find the slug. All my exit holes were the size of a quarter. There was a lot of internal damage, but not much meat damage (even with a double shoulder hit). Which is a main reason why I like this bullet. It's extremely accurate and all of the deer I've taken (plus several more my dad and a friend has taken with it) never took more than 3 steps.

Banerbird, i too have experienced excellent results using this bullet, and also very much like using it.

The 270g Deep Curl has also been an excellent deer killer for me. Most deer hit by this bullet from my rifle fall very quickly. This bullet has exited every deer i ever killed using it. The longest muzzle loader kill made by me was 229 yard or so, using this bullet. Usually, i can find this bullet locally, and that is another plus for this bullet. It also has been the least expensive of any bullet i use in my rifles. For some reason, it has been necessary for me to try and try different bullets different years on different deer, but this year, the 270g will be the one loaded in my rifle.

Last summer, a set of jugs filled with water was used to 'capture' the bullet. Following is a LINK showing the results.

Nice Buck, don't worry he will grow into it. I didn't start until I was six or seven years old with my dad.

Those are impressive deer. Congratulations to the fine harvest. I was wondering what brand of sabot did you use with the Speer 270 grain Deep Curl bullets? Thanks for the reply.

bigbore442001 said:
Those are impressive deer. Congratulations to the fine harvest. I was wondering what brand of sabot did you use with the Speer 270 grain Deep Curl bullets? Thanks for the reply.

I currently use Traditions sabots. I'm almost out and picked up some TC Mag Express sabots to try when I run out.

Back