Maximum range??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianaHunter

Reaction score
Maximum range?? Given the right conditions what is your maximum range you will attempt a shot?

Maximum range?? Given the right conditions what is your maximum range you will attempt a shot?

Probably 40 yards, give or take a yard or two. I've rarely had to take a shot that long though as most shots that I've taken over the years have probably averaged around 20-25 yards or so. That seems to be the optimum range for me anyway.

I'm using 3" Winchester HV #5's through a Kick's .665 choke. The gun is a Remington 870 SPS-T.

I have killed one bird at 60 yards with my White Muzzleloader.

oneshot

I usualy use some hot 2 3/4" reloads that I have been loading. Have never seen the need for anything hotter, and have never shot a bird over 30 yards. In fact I have killed 2 birds with 2 3/4" factort trap loads.

I think this is an old thread but I shoot a 20 Ga Mossberg with a undertaker choke. I have a scope and have the cross hairs centered in the group. I have taken a gobbler at 40 yards but 35 is what I consider my max. On the forty yard shot I misjudged the range but the turkey went down right there. I use No. 4 shot but may change to No. 5 to increase pellet numbers.

For many years I hunted turkey with an old Double Barrel Stevens loaded with #5 Remington 3" Nitro Express. I always limited my shots to 35 yards and never had a problem knocking one over.

Now I hunt them with a black powder shotgun and limit my shots to 25 yards because it is a 20 gauge (.62 caliber smoothbore).

All this is going to change though. I just ordered a 12 gauge extra full choke barrel for my Thompson Center New Englander. They claim this is an easy 40 yard gun. Time will tell.

With what you're shooting I would think a 35-40 yard shot would not be impossible. Best thing to do is set some card board boxes up and check your pattern at different distances. Also hang a tin can inside the box, like what you get vegetable in. If the shot penetrates that can, it will kill a turkey, or at least penetrate him. You have to place the shot.

Latest posts

Back