Mechanicals Out Of Crossbow For Hogs?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oneshot1

Reaction score
Ok I have killed many Deer using 125gr. Spitfire Mechanicals out of my Crossbow. What is your thoughts on Hogs?

oneshot

Personally, I don't like mechanical broadheads for hunting. I've heard and read too many reports over the years about failures to lock in the open position and game being wounded and lost. However, a hog is no harder to kill than a deer if you make a heart shot. It's a smaller target at a different angle but hogs are not arrow or bullet proof.
As always, shot placement is critical.

patocazador said:
Personally, I don't like mechanical broadheads for hunting. I've heard and read too many reports over the years about failures to lock in the open position and game being wounded and lost. However, a hog is no harder to kill than a deer if you make a heart shot. It's a smaller target at a different angle but hogs are not arrow or bullet proof.
As always, shot placement is critical.
I've killed many Deer over the years using Mechanicals. I've killed Hogs with Rifle, no problem.

oneshot

John Neslen said:
Mechanical's are not legal for big game in Idaho, ask Idaho Fish & Game why.
I've never had a problem with them opening on Deer, I have seen one the Blade curled on a Hog.

Plus with my Crossbow They seem to be the only thing I can get to group good. Can't afford to keep buying Broad Heads when the ones I have work well. As matter fact I killed 3 Deer with same Arrow and Broad Head. 

oneshot

oneshot 1 said:
John Neslen said:
Mechanical's are not legal for big game in Idaho, ask Idaho Fish & Game why.
I've never had a problem with them opening on Deer, I have seen one the Blade curled on a Hog.

Plus with my Crossbow They seem to be the only thing I can get to group good. Can't afford to keep buying Broad Heads when the ones I have work well. As matter fact I killed 3 Deer with same Arrow and Broad Head. 

oneshot
Said I killed 3 Deer with same Bolt. Make that 5 and still Good.

oneshot

Latest posts

Back