mildot scope success?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little red

Reaction score
I'm wondering why mildot scopes don't get more respect. Shooting at long range (200-300)yards with a muzzleloader can be tough with a little wind and i would think with a little shooting, the windage dot feature would be useful. Also the bullet drop dots, do the same thing as the new ballistic plex type scopes, so why not use a mil dot?

I don't use the any of the mildot or ballistic type reticles when hunting. Their use stipulates that one know the exact range of the animal before pulling the trigger. Many times it IS prossible to get the exact range but especially on a spot and stalk hunt it is impossible to range an animal and I'm not that good of a guesser. Most of the ballistic/mildot reticle scopes use at least two different hashes/dots in the critical 75 to 200yd area. I don't want to have to think about which to use when hunting. So I sight in the old standard method of 3 inches high at 100yds and forget it. If a longer shot than say 210yds or presents itself and I DO get an exact range, I can always move the crosshairs up on the critter. TO DATE, I have yet to shoot anything with a muzzleloader farther than 208yds.

big6x6 said:
I don't use the any of the mildot or ballistic type reticles when hunting. Their use stipulates that one know the exact range of the animal before pulling the trigger. Many times it IS prossible to get the exact range but especially on a spot and stalk hunt it is impossible to range an animal and I'm not that good of a guesser. Most of the ballistic/mildot reticle scopes use at least two different hashes/dots in the critical 75 to 200yd area. I don't want to have to think about which to use when hunting. So I sight in the old standard method of 3 inches high at 100yds and forget it. If a longer shot than say 210yds or presents itself and I DO get an exact range, I can always move the crosshairs up on the critter. TO DATE, I have yet to shoot anything with a muzzleloader farther than 208yds.

You musta been shootin watermelons with JJ :lol: :lol:

Hinge Pin

Latest posts

Back