Miles Gilbert bedding kit

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
I ordered the Miles Gilbert Bedrock glass bedding kit from Midway for @$11 a few weeks back. Since then I have used it to bed a Rem 700 and 2 muzzleloaders and I am thrilled with the results. The kit comes with all the essentials and an informative how-to pamphlet. I had never bedded a gun before but following the easy instructions and using my trusty Dremel tool to "relieve" the stocks, I turned out some nice work. Considering most 'smiths charge in excess of $100 to do the same thing, if your patient and follow the detailed directions I believe anyone with limited skills could do the same and use the savings for powder, bullets, etc.. I have not shot the guns yet due to some inclement weather and work issues but with the actions of the guns custom mated to the stocks I cant see how they wouldnt be more accurate. The muzzleloaders that I bedded are synthetic stocks and the Rem is wooden, kit comes with dyes (black and brown) that you add to the "glass" and it pretty much matches. Overall, I am well pleased and soon hope to go shooting to see if it made a difference.

What kind of muzzleloader did you bed? Will it work on an elite?

Did you take any pictures or can you post any of the Elite job.

Might be interesting for all th Knight Fans out there.

redpep, sorry I have no pictures or digital camera (wife is wanting one though). I wish I would have taken pictures working on the stock- it would probably be better than an explanation. As far as pictures of the completed stock, imagine placing your action in clay or other soft medium- it will perfectly mirror the bottom of the action. I bedded the action forward of the trigger well to the cantilevered recoil lug. I had to use modeling clay to put in between the lugs and the barrel so there would be no "mechanical lock" when the glass dried. I also filled in front of the lug where the ramrod goes for several inches so I could still use my ramrod. I applied release agent as per instructions and had to gently work stock and barrel back and forth to get them apart. It is a very tight fit, but that was my goal. After doing this initially, I made a "pad" on each side of barrel forward of the recoil lug by "relieving" stock material between ramrod channel and outside of the stock. When relieving synthetic stock the manual with the kit suggested making cuts that would create a reverse mechanical lock and bedding would not pull out even if glued to the barrel. I know this is probably long winded and confusing but feel free to shoot me a pm or email and I will try to answer questions but keep in mind I am no pro at this and just followed the directions and took my time in working. What I described was done in two steps the first took approx 2 hrs stock work and preparation (manual says 1/2 hr- I must be slow) and the second ("pad") took maybe 1/2 hour and was not in the manual. Allow 24 hours for curing per directions.

As for the rifle I bedded see the modern firearms forum- "reloading .270 Winchester" story.

Back