Mis s fiir ess..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
Anyone had any while hunting?? Misfires? hang fires?

The world awaits your story...

My nephew had one recently during our ML season. He was using a Savage and smokeless powder. The weather wasn't wet or anything. The only thing we could figure out was that he transported the gun around in the truck with the muzzle down and maybe the sabot got unseated a bit. The primer was a Winchester 209ML. The primer went off and he said the bullet went about 10 ft. and the sabot stuck halfway up the barrel. Luckily, he was only shooting at a doe and not the buck of a lifetime. It was one of those things that make you go :huh?: .

I HAVE TO ADMIT YES ON THE MISFIRES. TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT I HAD BEEN IN MY TREESTAND FOR MOST OF THE MORNING AN HAD BEEN WATCHING SEVERAL DOES AN THEIR FAWNS EATING ACORNS WHEN I NOTICED MOVEMENT OUT OF THE CORNER OF MY EYE AN NOTICED A MATURE 8 POINTER STANDING APPOX 15YDS BROADSIDE . SLOWLY EASED THE GUN INTO POSITION AN CLICKED THE SAFETY OFF LOOKED THROUGH THE SCOPE[BUCK IS NOW APPOX 30YDS AWAY ] SETTLED THE CROSSHAIRS ON THE BOILERROOM AN TOUCHED THE TRIGGER .THE PLUNGER SLIDE FORWARD AN HIT THE #11 CAP AN THAT WAS IT .NO BOOM AT ALL.TOOK ALL I HAD TO PRY THAT CAP OFF .THE BUCK WANDERED OFF AN I NOTICED THE CAP WAS BARE INSIDE.NO POWDER AT ALL INSIDE THE CAP.AND NOW WHEN EVER I USE THST INLINE I LOOK AT EVERY CAP CAREFULLY.A HARD LESSON LEARNED.

Spitpatch said:
Anyone had any while hunting?? Misfires? hang fires?

The world awaits your story...

Nope. Had a few at the range with sidelocks. Had flaming pellets once even, but not anything in the field.

This year I loaded and left loaded overnight several different rifles to see if they would misfire. Not a one of them this year gave me a problem. They shot like a nice spring day...

Not hunting but I had a 357 reload I bought at a gun show not go off. It was a scary to say the least to have to take it out of a revolver. I dumped all the rounds out in my hand and threw them all as far as I could in the woods like I was throwing a granade and thanked God later that it didn't go off while throwing it. Actually it never did go off.

I had one with my white when I was shooting at a large 8 pt. It came in at 28 yards and I raised my white and pulled the trigger. Only heard a pop. Buck stood there looking around while I got another cap on it. Pulled the trigger again and went pop. Buck took off and I went to the house. I pulled the breechplug and used a nipple pick. Out popped a perfect little round piece of foil that had sealed the plug preventing the fire from getting to the charge. I looked at the Remington caps and saw they had the foil on the inside of the cap. I have never used the Remington caps since. May never happen again, but it cost me my best buck to date.

Two I remember

One was last Saturday and my buddie was in the field w/ his daughter showing her how to whack a deer. We were in the tent blind a big Doe about 80 yards off. Chipo shot of him, seen him do it a million times (remember it rained buckets for 2 days on the opener of Gun Deer in Ohio) asked his daughter if she could taste the steaks. Pulls the trigger and snap, crakle pop and out the end of the barrel looks liker the 4th of July about 30 yards out. The doe jus stood there (I think I saw her sides heaving w/ laughter) for while waching then calmly walked off. His daiughter says you sure scared that deer Daddy!
Second was muzzleloading about 10 years ago damp morning in the field w/ my buddie. Deer steps out abou 40 yards and he pulls the trigger and Ps-s-s-sssssss and a wisp of smoke in the pan. He is getting tired and the deer is looking and slowly moving away. He had to follow that deer , we were scare dotput the gun down and when the deer is about 50 yards away(swear it seemed like 10 m inutes) the Flintlock goes off. I can't remember laughing as long as I did that day. We still hunt together (inlines now) but still every morning before we head out the door say "keep your powder dry" and start laughing. Good way to start the hunt.

Back