MK85 Predator OTW

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoenman

Reaction score
Just won this one up on GB. 3-9x40 Vari x II AO. Supposedly mint condition. Comes with factory box, paperwork, tools and extra nipples, sabots and bullets. First inline for me. Wish me luck

Attachments

• knight1.jpg
    knight1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 579
  • knight2.jpg
    knight2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 579
Looks good so far. Good luck and let us know how it looks in person. :yeah:

ive read mixed things about #11 in it. Is it worth getting the 209 conversion? Thought about getting one just to have. I never have problems with #11 in sidelocks and heard most people just use cci magnums in these with no problems

they were designed for #11 caps, they are very reliable with them as long as you use good hot caps..I actually prefer a musket cap nipple easier to handle and a bit hotter.
Owned 3-4 of the Predators with the Laminated Thumbhole stocks, nice guns as all Mk`s are.

phoenman said:
ive read mixed things about #11 in it. Is it worth getting the 209 conversion? Thought about getting one just to have. I never have problems with #11 in sidelocks and heard most people just use cci magnums in these with no problems

:poke:

Knight_hat.jpg

Congrats on the new rifle! :yeah: I just recently got 1 myself and LOVE it! Iconic Old Guns that were really ahead of their time

phoenman said:
that hat is awesome. Id sport it with pride

I got that hat when I bought my Knight many, many years ago. Its never been worn. I no longer own the rifle, but another shooter is still enjoying it. I don't think you'll find many of those hats around. I know of just one other person who has/had one.
Just had to add the poke :)

As stated they were designed for the #11 caps. No need to go to 209s. The Knight Red Hot nipples work great. The CCI mag caps and the RWS1075 seem to be overall favorites. I can't get the RWS and have never had a problem with the CCI mags using the Knight nipple.

ShawnT said:
As stated they were designed for the #11 caps. No need to go to 209s. The Knight Red Hot nipples work great. The CCI mag caps and the RWS1075 seem to be overall favorites. I can't get the RWS and have never had a problem with the CCI mags using the Knight nipple.

The RWS 1075 Plus are no doubt great Caps, But at 12 dollars per 100 around these parts I don’t use them for Fun, I have 500 or so that are kept back for Hunting. Truth is i cannot tell much, if any difference in the RWS 1075 Plus caps and the CCi Magnums, Nothing in the world wrong with these CCi Magnum Caps, I shoot a LOT, A WHOLE LOT, and i have yet to have a CCi Magnum Cap fail, They don’t fit Certain nipples as well as the 1075s, But that’s easy enough to fix.

I Tend to stock up on the CCi Magnums :D As much as i shoot, i would need a larger bank account to afford the RWS 1075s
u6cRoDC.jpg

I too have recently acquired a MK85 (3 of them, actually, but don't tell my wife) and just had a chance to shoot one of them last weekend. What a sweet rifle; great trigger, nicely balanced, and just plain fun to shoot. First groups were just under an inch for 3 shots at 75 yards with 65g T7 FFFG by volume and .503 No Excuses 460g conical bullets and veggie fiber wad sparked with RWS no11 caps. This is a blued Green Mountain barrel stamped model that I will probably sell to a relative after he kills an elk with it this September. It came with a no11 breech plug and hammer, a musket cap breech plug and hammer, and a 209 breech plug and hammer. I don't foresee having any need for the 209 BP or hammer, as the no11 works so well for me. :wink:
I will be trying some felt wads in the near future on the advice of a few respected members just to be sure I am getting all that can be had from these fine old rifles. I bet you are going to be very happy with your new rig; looks like a beauty!

Congratulations!

That is one of the early rifles from the late '80's, early '90's. True Timney Trigger, small profile #11 striker with set screw, Delrin ramrod, and last but not least, built by gunsmiths and craftsmen. I have one that has a rich deep bluing, set in a real nice piece of walnut from the late '80's.

What caliber? Guessing .50 cal?

Oh, and keep the #11 caps. Get some RWS 1075+ caps, a good compatible nipple, and you're golden. There is no advantage to shooting 209 primers in the Red Full Plastic Jackets. Take it from someone who has the conversion.

Lewis, Did the store have any CCI caps Left? :lol: :yeah:

ShawnT said:

:lol: I left plenty :yeah: I can get these for 5 bucks a 100, Makes WAY better sense when you shoot as much as i do, I use 2 Caps per shot, After i Swab, I Cap my Rifle, Point it straight Down and Pop that Cap off, Then Reload. You would be amazed at how much Crud Comes out of the Patented Breech/Ante Chamber of my Sidelocks from that 1 Cap that i pop off.

Busta, yes it is a 50. Friend of mine has 3 and all of his are 209. Ive never had a problem with 11's in my tc sidelocks. Cant wait to shoot it. Ive got some green sabots and 240 xtps and some great plains bullets. My TC's love the great plains. I figure if I can keep it no11 and get a conical load and a sabot load to shoot well I should be covered no matter where I go to hunt. Really wanna try and get on one of those limited access muzzleloader antelope hunts. If plan works out, hopefully i'll get to chase a cow elk in Utah next wall with my old sharps. I'm still trying to decide if I wanna leave the scope on it or put a Williams peep. I love shooting open sights. Here in SC most places i'll use it will be a 50-70yd shot max.

Idaholewis said:
ShawnT said:

:lol: I left plenty :yeah: I can get these for 5 bucks a 100, Makes WAY better sense when you shoot as much as i do, I use 2 Caps per shot, After i Swab, I Cap my Rifle, Point it straight Down and Pop that Cap off, Then Reload. You would be amazed at how much Crud Comes out of the Patented Breech/Ante Chamber of my Sidelocks from that 1 Cap that i pop off.
I use the same caps myself. They are the easiest for me to get and never had an issue with them. :yeah:

Handsome rifle.

Looking to learn something here...

Is this considered a “plunger gun” like some of the other Knights (like the Bighorn)?

It looks a little different, but still similar, to the plunger style actions I have seen pictured here.

Thanks,

Buster

Buster Brown said:
Handsome rifle.

Looking to learn something here...

Is this considered a “plunger gun” like some of the other Knights (like the Bighorn)?

It looks a little different, but still similar, to the plunger style actions I have seen pictured here.

Thanks,

Buster

Yes they are a Plunger Gun

Latest posts

Back