ML cleaner for BH209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
My buddy purchased his first muzzleloader last night and blackhorn 209 but also purchased muzzleloader cleaner in a TC cleaning kit. Can he still use the TC muzzleloader cleaner with the blackhorn or will it cause issues?

I would say that black powder substitutes other than black horn yes. Black Horn should be cleaned like any smokeless powder. Hoppes #9 or my favorite Butchs Bore Shine.

I use the Tc T17 cleaning stuff all the time but I don’t use Blackhorn I use 777. But it does say on the Tc T17 cleaning stuff that it cleans Blackhorn 209. So if he’s got it I would try it, what can it hurt? Only thing that can happen is it don’t work and he has to use something else.

Or you could just tell him it won’t work and take it for yourself. That’s what my buddies would do to me.lol

For BH 209 use Solvents just like you would with a centerfire. Solvents such as Hoppies , Butches Bore shine, etc. I think the TC cleaner is water based and you use it for other subs like 777 or Pyrodex or Black.

ohiohunter2017 said:
My buddy purchased his first muzzleloader last night and blackhorn 209 but also purchased muzzleloader cleaner in a TC cleaning kit. Can he still use the TC muzzleloader cleaner with the blackhorn or will it cause issues?

Not sure I would use any of the normal ML cleaning materials actually for a regular ML or a ML shooting BH...

When I first started shooting BH - I really did not enjoy cleaning a BH bore at all. I was using normal center fire cleaning materials and methods.

Lately, I have switched back to my normal cleaning methods for T7 and now for BH - which really works well for me.

Bore_Cleaning.jpg

This is really really simple and works well and quickly for me...

I use Montana Extreme Cowboy Blend. Works great! But I have also used Hoppes #9 and it works just as good.

The one thing I have found that is available everywhere is Hoppes Elite it is much better than #9 and is as good as Blackhorn cleaner from Montana co.

I haved used G96 Gun Treatment, Hoppes lately for cleaning Blackhorn. Works fine. But I have used alot of other cleaners that work too. Any smokeless cleaner will work. Nothing "special " is needed. Ive been muzzleloading and shooting inlines for a long time and this is the best BP sub EVER. Love it!

ohiohunter2017 said:

I have used Hopp's Elite Gun Cleaner for years and shot BH 209, it got my guns squeeky clean, I use it in the field and at home for final clean up. A few years after starting to use Elite I discovered it was water based, it had done such a good job for me that I have continued to use it, after all it is a Smokeless gun cleaner.

Also, I use slip 2000 gun lube, it displaces water which is a plus, cleans plastic out of a barrel and cleans copper, carbon and lead fouling. It is a CLP and I probably would not have to use Hopp's Elite, but I like a squeaky clean barrel. I have read that regular gun oil will react with black powder and other powder substitutes when fired, but not Slip 2000 or other synthetic substitutes. https://www.slip2000.com/
I can't describe all the benefits of slip 2000 gun lube but go to the link and you can read about it.

I don't know if a muzzleloader runs hot enough to get copper fouling from using full bore copper plated bullets, but Hopp's Elite will not clean copper fouling out of a barrel. Since I shoot Saboted bullets and use slip 2000 it is not an issue for me so I never researched it.

After reading your link for slip 2000 , i believe i'll order a cleaning kit. If it will clean an AR that good , everything else is piece of cake.

Hoppes Elite and M-Pro7 sure appears to be the same product or at least extremely similar. Both are made by Pantheon and non toxic.

I just use surplus milspec CLP you can usually get at gunshows for cheap. A gallon for around $20 lasts a very long time. The last 2 milspec revisions (D & E) do not contain Teflon. The gallon i bought years ago is called SENT CLP out of Canada.

I no longer use Blackhorn 209. But with either Goex or Alliant MZ / White Hot powders I'm currently testing, I keep three nearby .... Slip 2000EWL, Hoppes Elite and Ballistol.
For long-term bore anti-rust protection, I use Breakfree Collector or Lucas Extreme. I use all-these I listed here in my semi-auto pistols too.

I have been contemplating trying some BH209 in 1 of my Sidelocks i have setup with a Magspark nipple and use Fed 209A primers i have on hand. I have a pound of BH here to try. I wonder how it would work with a 530 Grain Paper Patched bullet? I am thinking of trying it in the ‘Business Rifle’ 32” Green Mountain 1:18 Twist .451 Bore. Sure be nice to cut the fouling WAY down and be able to load without Swabbing between every shot (tho I probably would anyway) I would think my steam cleaner would get the Carbon, and any gunk out of the Snail/Patented Breech like NOBODY’S business? Just do the barrel first with hoppes #9 as mentioned above until i have the Bore fully clean, then Steam Clean the Pee out of it through the Nipple hole. I wouldn’t worry about my cold clean bore shot, as this is strictly a Long range bench/target rifle, i would load and ‘Burn’ my first shot, Then start my Group work. Any thoughts about this idea?

Only thing I found was the Pressure , that was in a knight, but don't think the nipple would stand the pressure or the lock spring.

GoexBlackhorn said:
I no longer use Blackhorn 209. But with either Goex or Alliant MZ / White Hot powders I'm currently testing, I keep three nearby .... Slip 2000EWL, Hoppes Elite and Ballistol.
For long-term bore anti-rust protection, I use Breakfree Collector or Lucas Extreme. I use all-these I listed here in my semi-auto pistols too.

How do you use the Ballistol?

Exterior stock maintenance on all my rifles and interior/exterior cleaning-only on pistols.
I failed to mention Gunzilla earlier. I use that in the same applications as Ballistol sometimes. Another spray I use for a cleaning-only trigger spray is Gun Scrubber.

It seems I keep a handful of different products on-hand and keep alternating them. A product like Gunzilla frowns on only using once in a while. They claim their products works best with repeated use, where a buildup-shield of protection eventually occurs.

One of these years I'll let my inventory run dry and only use one product for basic cleaning - one for lube and one for preservation. Millions of gun owners use a single CLP and nothing else. Once in a while they will run a couple patches of a copper or lead cleaner...... that's it. Eventually I get myself in that direction.

Your average conceal carry pistols today are so easy to maintain. My relative uses nothing but #9 Cleaner, Three-in-One Oil and Vaseline for the rails... for the past 30 years.

45cal said:
Only thing I found was the Pressure , that was in a knight, but don't think the nipple would stand the pressure or the lock spring.

Probably better left for the Inlines. I remember 1 guy talking about doing this, he also swore by drilling a hole in the powder chamber (angled away from the shooter) to vent, I personally would not do this to ANY of my rifles, but that’s not to say it doesn’t work, it actually makes sense that it would work good, but then you have a tiny hole in your Barrel to slowly erode away after each shot, same as a Nipple. Seems to me that TC, CVA, Traditions, etc. would have done this if it were really any big advantage? The Guy seemed quite knowledgeable in ways, but after catching him in several lies his credibility became NONE to me. I will stick with my Swiss 2 and 3F

Idaholewis said:
I have been contemplating trying some BH209 in 1 of my Sidelocks i have setup with a Magspark nipple and use Fed 209A primers i have on hand. I have a pound of BH here to try. I wonder how it would work with a 530 Grain Paper Patched bullet? I am thinking of trying it in the ‘Business Rifle’ 32” Green Mountain 1:18 Twist .451 Bore. Sure be nice to cut the fouling WAY down and be able to load without Swabbing between every shot (tho I probably would anyway) I would think my steam cleaner would get the Carbon, and any gunk out of the Snail/Patented Breech like NOBODY’S business? Just do the barrel first with hoppes #9 as mentioned above until i have the Bore fully clean, then Steam Clean the Pee out of it through the Nipple hole. I wouldn’t worry about my cold clean bore shot, as this is strictly a Long range bench/target rifle, i would load and ‘Burn’ my first shot, Then start my Group work. Any thoughts about this idea?

I think your looking for trouble if I understand your intentions. A 530 bullet with BH will blow the primer back out and flip open the hammer assembly. I've used BH extensively and would only consider it in a closed breach system.

LarryBud said:
Idaholewis said:

I think your looking for trouble if I understand your intentions. A 530 bullet with BH will blow the primer back out and flip open the hammer assembly. I've used BH extensively and would only consider it in a closed breach system.

I don’t think it would be a problem with The Magspark adapter i have? But it’s not worth chancing it to me, i figured if a bunch of you guys that know this powder and Magspark adapter setup said it was fine to do then i would try it, The Magspark adapter encloses a 209 Shotgun primer and allows you to shoot them in a Sidelock. I have never shot any BH209 so have no experience whatsoever with it. I have easy access to all brands and grades of real Blackpowder, i was just thinking of how handy it would be to not have the harsh fouling to deal with, but swabbing good between shots isn’t a big deal.

Picture of the Magspark adapter on my rifle

Latest posts

Back