ML rangefinders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterJim

Reaction score
I feel that laser rangefinders are an essential optical tool for the ML hunter. Since the trajectory is a lot more rainbow than the typical centerfire hunting rifle, we really need the range estimation help that they can provide.

Which make and model do you prefer, and why?

thanks...jim

I bought a Bushnell, the model name escapes me right now. It was a bottom end one and supposed to be good to 800 yds, but found conditions have to be perfect for that to work. I is good for something with in shooting range and I especially like it for bow hunting where range can be critical. The reason I bought is PRICE :wink:

I had a busnell sport 450 total garbage, traded in on a bushnell scout much better but $100.00 more.

Basically these are the rangefinders I have experience with...along with the Nikon Laser 800..

2006huntpics%20016.jpg

I have to say I really like the Nikon rangefinders.. My little Laser 400..is a fanTASTIC RANGEfinder..but not a MONOCULAR. It really has not missed a beat and I have ranged whitetail to over 500yds with it. Now the optics aren't the best(not enough objective and 8X)..as a rangefinder..it is EXCELLENT! Easy to work..pick it up push the button twice and it gives you the range. Grouse used it in Texas! :D

The old Litespeed...excellent rangefinder..the Leupold RX-II...I hated it. It's too complicated and too complex. It's by far the least thought out Leupold product I've ever put my hands on. Worst Leupold product ever...

Now to the Geovid 10X42s...Absolutely one of the best, most useful products I've ever bought! Out in Texas..they are really in their element. You look and something push a button and get the range. The Geovids have absolutely worked PERFECTLY and without a hiccup from the beginning. Of course the optics are second to none...

Leica. Mine is the older model scan 900, the new CRF is nicer design for toting all day. I also own a bushnell scout that was given to me as a gift. The reason why I like the lieca are reliable will range animals to 900 yards (further then I will shoot), fewer missed reads (meaning not able to process), better optics and the main reason is the red LED readout vs black like most. I do alot of pre animal range finding, meaning get down my ranges and lanes prior to the possiblility of a shot while the bushnell certainly works for this the Liecas red led makes ranging dark objects such as a black poplar or willow stand easier. In low light the red LED speaks for itself both in the target acquire and yardage read out.

the Leupold RX-II...I hated it. It's too complicated and too complex. It's by far the least thought out Leupold product I've ever put my hands on. Worst Leupold product ever...

I hope it shines for bowhunting, I'll let ya know! Other than that to manually swap ranges at the 150 yd mark is pretty stupid!

My standby has been a Leica 1200 LRF.. Love it, not crazy about the size. I like the size of the RX-II better but it has waaay too many settings.

Chuck's Leica Geovids ARE the cat's meow!

leopold range finfer??

Chuck,

Leopold took long enough to get a range finder on the market. What is it about the leopold you do not like??

Greg

Re: leopold range finfer??

choc-dog said:
Chuck,

Leopold took long enough to get a range finder on the market. What is it about the leopold you do not like??

Greg

Compared to EVERY other rangefinder I have ever used...it is unforgivably complicated. I is so complicated even with the owners manual in one hand, rangefinder in the other. I'm not so sure it will range as far as advertised either. I feel that with any rangefinder made one should be able to pick it up and get a range to the maximum range of the rangefinder by just pushing a button twice. Even straight out of the box. You won't do that with this one...

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been using an older Nikon model that will range to 800 yards, and I want to upgrade this year.

I hunted with a guy this fall who was using a new Leica CRF 1200: a nice small package with very visible LED readout.

I decided to go with LED versus the other technologies for the readout for early and late ranging. So far that means Leica or Swarovski, and the new Leica 900 appears to do what I need.

I expect to check the new stuff at SCI next week.

jim

Hunter Jim,

I was chatting with some fellas and found out the Bushnell Elite 1500 has an illuminated screen. I also noticed in a flyer where a the Nikon Monarch 800 have a backlite screen. I haven't looked through either but might be worth a boo.

If anybody has testing these to a Lieca please let me know your thoughts, in particular the read out. To me the read out is one of the reason I always reccomend a Lieca, it isn't the most expensive but I find its more then most want to spend on a LRF (especially a first time buyer). Thanks

I'm glad someone mentioned the "complicatedness" of the Leupold. I tested one out in the store and for the live of me couldn't figure it out. Glad it wasn't just me. :)

Thanks everyone for the comments! I was looking at grabbing one for both ML and Bow season next year (my human range finder is so far out of calibration past 40 yards it's useless...) so I'm trying to find one with the angle compensation. Interesting comments on the Leopold, I may need to go play with one (was originally my first choice. :? )

Latest posts

Back