Modified 300 Gr. 458

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrestman

Reaction score
My first time trying to post an image. I hope this works. The image you are looking at are the same bullet. It is a Remington 300 grain .458. These have always shot MOA or better in my Savage/SMI 50 cal. The original, on the left only has a .5 ogive and a large opening in the nose. The modified version, on the right was reshaped using a custom Corbin .458 reshaping die and has a 2S ogive. I don't know yet how these will shoot but they look great. I will keep you updated.

Cnv0017.jpg

Welcome arrestman,I see you made it over here.How long does it take you to make the finished product?How much is that custom die?Is this a one step process?And what sabot are you going to use? Powder to start?

:?: :?: :
If you don't mind saying, what's the ballpark $ on those dies?

Will the same set of dies work on similar .458 bullets(Sierra, Hornady, etc.)?

What other equipment do you need to use the dies? If they work in a reloading press, how strong a press is neccessary?

I like the idea of the Barnes Originals, but availability is an issue. If the b.c. is good and terminal performance is there these modified bullets look like a good alternative.

I like it, I really DO! Doing that to that bullet SHOULD give it a somewhat better ballistic coefficient AND somewhat less rapid expansion which may be a good thing for this bullet..

If you WANT....Send me a few of each and I'll calculate a ballistic coefficient for each bullet...

I hope I can answer this for everybody. First let me say that I started this venture because of the availabilty or should I say the unavailable Barnes 300 Gr. .458 semi-spt'rs. I have used them for over a year now but when your out of them your OUT! I have also used the Remington .458 300 gr. and it also shoots great. the Barnes has a better BC and will shoot better at longer ranges. I got tired of waiting for Barnes to re-supply their stock and thought I could do something else while waiting.

The cost of custom bullet making is expensive. These dies will not work in a regular reloading press. The cost of the press and the dies needed to make this bullet is going to be around $600.00.

I know some of you are saying, this man is nuts but I look at it as a possibilty of getting started at making other bullets that I can shoot in my Savage. The dies that I have ordered are a start to a complete set. The only thing I would need is a core forming die and a jacket forming and core seating die and I would be set.

I don't know if I will be able to form or reshape other .458 bullets with this set of dies. That is not known yet.

Ohhhh...

So HOPEFULLY...You are going to start MAKING a bullet of similar dimensions??

I hope I can make this bullet work. After all I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel. If I can make this bullet work then maybe I can recoup some of my investment by selling a few. If not then I have just bought an expensive toy! But the availablity of the remington bullet looks good and first test with the reshaped ones were good. I think I'm onto something here. I'm tired of buying 10, 20, 30 bullets at a time and then not using the supplied sabots. Go figure. Tom

Arrestman, if you get to the point where you are confident in the quality of this modified bullet, I would be interested in buying some.

Rifleman said:
Arrestman, if you get to the point where you are confident in the quality of this modified bullet, I would be interested in buying some.
That goes for me too!

OK, we will see how it goes. I hope Mr. Corbin will get to my dies right away, but waiting is a chore. Tom

Tar-12 said:
Rifleman said:
That goes for me too!

I can always use more bullets for my collection. :D

ok guy on ebay sells these bullets for 47.00 per 250 (shipping included) i too want some of these to work with so lets help out him paying for his equipment :D LOL its not like he has anything to do all day :shock:

Thanks for the info about where to buy these bullets. I found that the best price is at Cabela's. There you can get 300 shipped for around $ 50.00 They were cheaper last year. They have already went up $1.50 per 100 rds. Keep me posted if you find anywhere thats cheaper. Thanks, Tom

RAZORBACK, Please explain your post. I have bought these at Midway, Midsouth Shooters Supply and Cabela's. If my math is correct then Cabela's price is around $.17 per round shipped. Is the price at Midsouth, ($.16 ea) including freight?

Latest posts

Back