Montana Hunt-58 Double… PRB or Real

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfricaDouble

Reaction score
So my Boss is headed to Montana again and we seem to be talking about it often… I’m his Rite hand man so to speak. Scheduling and everything else.
Anyway, I may go with him and I’d love to get a big black bear. I’d bring my 375 Weatherby custom rifle with Synthetic stock for Rain days and to Back him up. Yet my main interest is to use my Kodiak .58 muzzleloader.

With that in mind, I’m Sure 90gr-110gr of FFg will do the job and a PRB that weighs 280grs. It’s a cast at around 10Bhn ,So it’s not your average Soft lead. I also have a REAL Mould that’s the 445gr and It’s cast at about 8Bhn. I’d Load that up about the same, Maybe FFFg powder.

With a double rifle, it’s suggested if a Conical is used, Only use it in one Barrel. The other barrel should use a Patched round ball (Maybe 2 patched balls?!?!) So the Conical isn’t moved off the powder.

The real question is, Since there is Grizzly and Wolf and…. other Non friendly fur four legged animals….. besides a 44 Mag on my hip with hardcast 300gr.

What’s Your idea about a 10Bhn Patched ball or Go with the Conical???

Would ya feel comfortable with Patched round balls and 110gr of holy Black when Mr Grizz could be in the Area?

Don’t want this to be a Bear thread,Yet well, it is a question about My Firearm and it’s ammo… Thread.

38B37684-4C0D-422D-A224-7875F8CEC9F8.jpegD7C32A72-2067-4133-B292-AF4170B46660.jpegCD08E18B-28EF-469D-97CF-E1E365216D7F.jpeg

Last edited:
I guess that depends on which projectile shoots best?
To me, there's a bit of a romantic notion of taking game with a simple patched ball.
I would also imagine that the early mountain men and explorers only used a round ball in their rifles and killed bears and such.

I should have mentioned.. The Patched Round ball Hits at 50 yards dead on with both barrels at about a 2” group. I’m sure they regulate at about 70yards.
I’ve yet to experiment with the Real bullet.

My cautious thought is… defensive- And not so much nostalgia,Yet that’s also part of taking a Front stuffer. Would it be better to have a PRR of 10bhn weighing 280gr or a REAL Boolet of 8bhn weighing 445gr ? Considering what else is in the area.

Last edited:
I should have mentioned.. The Patched Round ball Hits at 50 yards dead on with both barrels at about a 2” group. I’m sure they regulate at about 70yards.
I’ve yet to experiment with the Real bullet.

My cautious thought is… defensive. Would it be better to a PRR of 10bhn weighing 280gr or a REAL Boolet of 8bhn weighing 445gr ?
Breaking down bone is best done with weight ,more is better and defense means no matter the angle! You get to choose ,conical is simple loading and smashes stuff so no fooling with patches just remember powder 1st !!!

Could…. Have a 445gr Real in one barrel (Front trigger) Sited dead on at 75 yards with the flip up Express sights.(3 leaf express)

Sights flipped down (When cautious and on defense so to speak).

Then I have a fast Ghost ring with 2x patched round balls (560gr) in other barrel (Rear trigger)…. For fast Quick Defensive shooting.

Heck, Squeeze both triggers and get both barrels at close range- have 1005 grains on tap…Drop Rifle and Grab 44 mag on hip.

Perhaps I’m just being a bit over precautionary, Yet if thinking that way keeps me safe- It’s not Foolish.

Last edited:
Could…. Have a 445gr Real in one barrel (Front trigger) Sited dead on at 75 yards with the flip up Express sights.(3 leaf express)

Sights flipped down (When cautious and on defense so to speak).

Then I have a fast Ghost ring with 2x patched round balls (560gr) in other barrel (Rear trigger)…. For fast Quick Defensive shooting.

Heck, Squeeze both triggers and get both barrels at close range- have 1005 grains on tap…Drop Rifle and Grab 44 mag on hip.

Perhaps I’m just being a bit over precautionary, Yet if thinking that way keeps me safe- It’s not Foolish.
Nope just over thinking :elmer:

I would ask IdahoLewis but I would think that a REAL, or other SNUG fitting conical, should stay in place if cast from 40:1 or 20:1 alloy. Pure lead would be most likely to shift under recoil. Cast up a few, load both barrels but only fire one barrel a couple of times and see if the bullet has shifted in the unfired barrel. Just be sure to reseat the bullet before you fire it if it did shift any at all.

Latest posts

Back