Moose and Caribou hunt in Newfoundland

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugbuk

Reaction score
I have just returned from a Newfoundland moose/caribou combo hunt.
This hunt was recommended to me by Glenn Dunning from ?Tundratour consultants? ( http://www.tundratour.com/ ). I was hunting with outfitter Horace Lane from ?Riverrun Outfitting & Tours? ( http://www.riverrun.nf.net/).
Here is link to review of this outfitter:
http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/vie ... 0094#10094
Mr. Lane assigned me to the guide Shawn aka Lucky.
Day one:
Rain and wind up to 50mi/h. Lucky decides to hunt moose today. A lot of walking then glassing. Lucky is heavier and shorter then I but he can move. I can barely keep up. There is plenty of sign but no moose.
Day two:
No rain and almost no wind. We are going caribou hunting. We are going to the high country, and drive ATV's between the high points and glass the bogs for caribou.
P9230005.jpg

After first 15 minutes we see a cow moose at 150 yards. This picture is taken through binoculars.
MooseBino.jpg

We watched her for a minute and then moved away. There was another cow that followed the first one but no bull. I told Lucky that I want to shoot this bull. We have been driving all morning but only saw one bedded cow caribou and a small group far away.
CaribouCow.jpg

Another hunter killed nice caribou and Lucky helped them to bring the meat to the truck. After lunch we decided to get closer to the group of caribou we saw previously and take another look. We started to the bog and after two miles I spot a single caribou over the pond. Lucky confirmed it is a stag but we could not say how big it is. We decided to stalk him. After walking a few miles around the pond we can not find our caribou. We decided to continue in the direction he was moving. Soon, Lucky spotted a bedded caribou 500 yards away. After evaluating horns I?ve decided I want to take him. We started slowly closing the distance. When we were within about 200 yards the stag stands up and starts slowly mowing away from us. I made the shots using a Stoney Point bipod and here it is my first caribou:
P9230010.jpg

Caribou.jpg

Not big but I like it. After few hours we loaded it into the truck and got back to the camp by the dark.
Day three:
Rain no wind. Now I can concentrate on the moose. A lot of walking. Abundant moose and bear sign, but no moose.
Day four:
Sunday. No hunting on Sundays. Great day, sunny and warm. Just relaxing. My legs are totally recovered and I?m ready for the next week.
Day five:
No rain yet, but windy. I told Lucky that I only need a good moose. We started early. It?s the same area as the first day. Lucky said the rut should start any day now. He makes few cow calls. Waiting? Walk again and then call and wait. Lucky spots running cow moose at 200 yard on the left of us. She moves very fast and disappears in the trees. Lucky suggests that bull may chase her. We wait but did not see anything. We decided to move on. After few miles slow walking and calling, we both hear a moose call in the distance. We decided to stalk in that direction. After 15-20 min of stalking we spotted cow moose bedded by the pond about 600 yards away. . We decided to get closer and see if there is a bull near by. We got to the trees on the opposite side of the pond. By the time we got there the cow was standing in the middle of the pond and we spotted the bull laying down in the brush. We can only see antlers. Lucky says that it?s a shooter and he chased down the cow. She is not ready yet and ran away from him into the pond. Lucky measured distance - 194 yards. I took position and wait began. In 10 or 15 minutes cow and bull did not move. Cow was making noises and it looked like she was saying: ?get away from me, your dirty @#$$...?. Two ducks landing near the cow but she just looked at them and did not move. Finally, when I could not feel my legs, she decided to move. The bull stood up immediately when she got to the shore and he presented a perfect broad side shot. He took Barnes TSX 270 grain bullet and ran in the middle of the pond for safety, where he collapsed.
MooseInWater.jpg

As soon as bull collapsed Lucky announced that can not swim and I have to go to get the moose because I?ve shot him . :lol: :lol: :lol:
I did not mind.
I had to strip down and get in the water. After some struggle we got the moose to the shore. Here it is, my first moose:
P9260078.jpg

P9260080.jpg

It took us rest of the day get moose back to the camp.
And then my hunt was over?

How much did your hunt cost? I am seriously looking at doing a moose hunt sometime soon.

Congratulations! You got the deluxe trip with the bull dieing in the water and all! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures.

Sounds like you had a great experiance, congrats on the boo and moose.

Well Nug, All I can say is congratulations and I'm glad that scope busting ugly gun finally got some blood on it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a nice trip! I appreciate you sharing it with us! Congratulations on your nice trophys!

Thanks, everybody.
Thanks, Jim for editing my story.
Rifleman said:
Great story ! That Steyr 376 scout rifle sure did the job!
I love that rifle and cartridge.
VENISONEATR said:
Well Nug, All I can say is congratulations and I'm glad that scope busting ugly gun finally got some blood on it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, this gun killed more scopes then animals but it?s still my favorite.
And it?s proves again that 2.5 magnification is enough for 200 yard and up shoots on a big game.

Awesome trip and story. As far as I can tell, that's an awesome woodland Caribou! A real trophy.

Both animals are trophies for me even they are not even close to score anything.
Actually one hunter in the camp did kill B&C caribou and it was waaaaay bigger then mine.
Although body mass was the same.

Hey Noug how's about a balistics report? Load and bullet used, wound channel/autopsy report etc. How may scopes did the Steyr 376 rattle loose before convincing you to just hunt it as a "scout" configuration? And please let us know how much you like the gun :wink:

Hey NUG can you bring that Steyr to the hog hunt? I would love to check it out. thanks Rman

Rifleman said:
Hey NUG can you bring that Steyr to the hog hunt? I would love to check it out. thanks Rman
Absolutely. I was planning to hunt with that gun.

VENISONEATR said:
Hey Noug how's about a balistics report? Load and bullet used, wound channel/autopsy report etc. How may scopes did the Steyr 376 rattle loose before convincing you to just hunt it as a "scout" configuration? And please let us know how much you like the gun :wink:

You know, it's my favorite ?little ugly? gun. The other day I counted how many times I have shoot that gun during load development and just shooting for fun and number is more then 700 rounds.
I took two hand loads with me:
1. Barnes 270 grain TSX.
Muzzle velocity 2500ft/sec, energy 3747ft/lb.
200 yard velocity 2186ft/sec, energy 2864ft/lb.
2. Speer 250 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw.
Muzzle velocity 2500ft/sec, energy 3469ft/lb.
200 yard velocity 2186ft/sec, energy 2651ft/lb.
Rifle was zeroed at 200 yards. Those two bullets have very close POI at 100 yards (less then 1 inch).
This gun has chewed 3 scopes already: two Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40 and one Burris Eurodiamond 1.5-6X42. Last Conquest broke just two days before the trip. That is why I took this gun hunting in original Scout configuration. Do not get me wrong, I like Scout configuration, but I?m left eye dominant and right handed. To shoot Scout rifle I still have to close left eye to align scope and target, that is why conventional scope mounting just works better for me. Unfortunately my primary scope Burris Eurodiamond broke two weeks before the trip.
Anyway bullets and gun combination worked flawlessly.
Here is picture of the gun:
P9230027.jpg

Here is view from the point there caribou was shoot from:
P9230026.jpg

Same through the rangefinder:
CaribouRange.jpg

Here is view through the rangefinder from the point there moose was shoot from:
MooseRange.jpg

I used Barnes TSX for moose and Speer TBBC for caribou. All side shoots penetrated completely through with good wound channel and little meat damage.
First I shoot caribou when animal was walking away from me and it?s the only bullet was recovered. It went through left back quarter (did not hit any bones), through whole body of the animal, destroyed left lung, broke three ribs near the left front shoulder, and stuck in the third rib. I?d say it's at least 5 ft of penetration.
Here is howbullet look like:
Bullet.jpg

Recovered bullet weights 236 grains - 94.4% weight retention.

Here is a much better picture of the ugly gun... :wink: Non-scout configuration :shock:

Uglygun1.jpg

Latest posts

Back