Moose Hunt Success

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
First off let me say that I apologize for the delayed post. Nugbuk buck has been asking me on a daily basis as to "when" am I going to post our story.
Some of you may recall I put a post up back in Sept. regarding a scouting trip we took in preparation for our DO-IT-YOURSELF moose hunt. Well it paid off in the long run.
We left NJ on Fri. afternoon and Fri. evening we arrived in E. Burke VT to a mix of snow and rain. Fortunately it was all snow @ 2500 ft. :wink:
We made the decision to unload at the hotel and suit up and drive to our selected spot. We sporadically slept on and off thru the night in the truck and awoke to perfect conditions. 2-3 inches of snow and nearly non-existent wind currents :D
We still hunted our selected logging road and sat for a short while. There were intermitent shots in the distance and we were confident that our time would soon come. That hope waned away as the day progressed. Our area that was literally paved with moose sign was suddenly void of any activity. I couldn't understand it.... perfect conditions, hot area, highly skilled hunters 8) Things were looking bleek. We hunted and walked an area approx. 5 miles and there was nary a moose track to be found!
We took a break for some lunch at the truck and a short nap and decided to go through an area which we had previously walked that morning. We sat for an hour in a very Moosey looking area and walked some more and then low and behold we jumped a moose!!! Nug saw it first but we never got a real good glimpse of it. Darn thing skirted into the bush with jack rabbit speed. We decided to sit again.
Let me stop here and interject a very important component of this story. Before splitting up (approx. 50 yds) I asked the primary permit holder as what to do in the event of a cow moose showing itself. He expressely said "YES shoot the cow".
So that's exactly what I did.

DSC02520Small.jpg

Now that is just the tip of the iceberg regarding this 2 man effort for success. I waited for Nug to come down to me and begin blood trailing. The moose ran down hill and over a cliff with a drop off about 16 feet. :shock:
In my adrenaline crazed mind I reasoned if a mortally wounded moose can do it, So can I. BIG mistake. I blew out my knee at the bottom of the cliff.
I was forced to hobble back to the truck in the dark while Nug continued on after the moose.
I was in extreme phsical pain and mental anguish as the day light was completely gone and Nug was still after the moose. A short while later Nug got to the truck. He was forced to abandon the trail. He banged in the GPS coordinates of the last blood and picked up the trail in the morning.

After another long night we were back on the mountain in the morning. I had to wait in the truck while Nug pressed on. About an hour later he was back at the truck and he gave me this.
DSC02523Small.jpg

He really did a suberb follow up and is the epitome of a first class hunting partner!
DSC02532Small.jpg

It was a great experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

We used this to get the moose out of the woods. It cost $100.00 per hour and was WORTH EVERY SINGLE PENNY!!!!

DSC02527Medium.jpg

HERE'S SOME MORE PICS:

DSC02520Small.jpg

DSC02514Small.jpg

DSC02522Small.jpg

DSC02517Medium.jpg

DSC02530Medium.jpg

Another cow:

DSC02540Medium.jpg

A WORLD CLASS MOOSE:

DSC02529Medium.jpg

The result of a true team effort!!!!!!!!! :D

DSC02547.jpg

Good Eatin'

Good job! A buddy of mine gave me a couple of packs of moose year before last. Sure was good.

MOOSE!!!

Next year they may be a horse tailer behing your truck.... second thought for $100.00 per hour rent the horse. :cry:

There is a some find moose meat there...enough for 2 family's :D

What did you shoot the moose with???

Thanks buddy for the report. :yeah:
Here is some additional comments to the report.
It was beautiful in the mountains:
DSC02515.jpg

Here is my buddy ?cow killer? :poke: ( I know, I know. It was mutual decision to shoot first moose we saw after the frustration of the first day) after somehow managing to get stuck in the mud on the top of the mountain. :shock:
DSC02516.jpg

Jimmy also forgot to mention that he fell on the gun an hour before he shot that cow and busted his scope. Because of that, the shot which looked good, was not that good. Bullet bounced of the left shoulder and did not penetrate the chest cavity. We found this out t the next day. Now since my buddy injured himself and I did not have a walker in the truck :poke: I had to track the wounded cow myself. I lost the track almost 2 miles away where from it was shot. When I came back for Jimmy he somehow found his way to the truck.
We were really worried that night about not finding the cow. Especially me, because I had injured cow and hunter on my hands. I?ll give Jimmy credit that he was worried that he could not help me with taking care of the moose and even treated me to a nice dinner at a fancy local caf?.
The next day I found the cow 500 yards from the truck. I field dressed it and came back to the truck. We called a skidder operator to help us drag the moose out of the woods. We waited almost 5 hours but he was busy pulling out big bull moose killed by other hunters.
The horse did help us pull our moose the last 100 yards. But that was the closest it could get to it. Of course our moose fell in the thick muddy stuff behind deep ditch. With the help of chainsaw winch and the gentleman who owned the bed-and breakfast where we stayed, we pulled the moose up to the hill 400 yards where the horse was able to get to it and finish the job. Who ever has done it, knows how exausted we were.
We checked and weighted the moose the next day. It was 504 lb field dressed.
DSC02536.jpg

Anyway it was a good hunt and I enjoyed every minute of this team effort. And I think this will be the picture that summarizes our adventure:
DSC02532.jpg

PS: And I can not wait until Jimmy draws a moose tag in Maine and I will shoot a big bull?. :poke: :partyman:

Great hunt and congrats. By the way, hows the knee?

RAF said:
By the way, hows the knee?

Still limping, but better, if nothing else it has slowed me down when walking in the woods. My son says now that I hurt my knee he can keep up with me.
What did you shoot the moose with???

The moose was directly facing me so I aimed for the center of the chest and caught the inside crease of the left shoulder. The 225 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw from my .35 Whelan did not enter the chest cavity. It exited midway down on the ribs. There is some debate regarding bullet terminal ballistics and shot angle.

Good story guys and congrats on the harvest! I love it when a plan errr.. comes together!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doohan said:
Good story guys and congrats on the harvest! I love it when a plan errr.. comes together!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ditto's, great job...

:wink: :wink:

Way to go guys. Looks like it was a great adventure. :applause: :yeah:

Hope your knee feels better Jimmy.

DANG at the SNOW!

Way to go guys! Sorry about your knee Jimmy.

I have a question...Did ya'll just have one moose tag?

big6x6 said:
Did ya'll just have one moose tag?

Chuck the way these Eastern states structure the hunt is via a team system. There is a permittee and a sub-permittee. Either hunter can shoot. Vermont does something unique, in that there moose license even allows for a third hunt party member (a guide) but he must be unarmed. He CAN be a non-resident.And to be honest with you 1 moose is enough work AND meat for two hunters.

Glad it worke out for you guys. I heard moose is very good table fare.

Hope that knee is feeling ok Jimmy!!!

Doohan said:
Glad it worke out for you guys. I heard moose is very good table fare.

Hope that knee is feeling ok Jimmy!!!

Maybe you'll get a chance to sample some in the near future :wink:

My knee hurts but it won't keep me out of the woods :!:

Awesome hunt and great photos!! Congratulations. It looked like a Heluva good time :drinkers:

Congrats Jim and Nug, you guys make a great team. Hope your knee heels quickly Jim.
Rman

Back