Moose Reconnaissance

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VENISONEATR

Reaction score
The big woods of Northern Vermont showed some serious promise for our hopes of hanging a tag on Mr. Moose later next month. Nug, my son, and I made the five hour trek up north on Friday evening, with hopes of finding some ground that we could pursue Alces alces. With maps and GPS units in hand we traversed several thousand acres of paper company land and state WMA's. We talked to locals, we talked to fellow hunters scouting for moose, and by pure chance we ran into a gentleman who just so happens to manage a chunk of paper company land was in our designated unit!!! :shock: I couldn't get my Vermont Atlas and Gazzateer in his line of sight fast enough. He showed us some spots to check and Sunday morning we were scouring the hills. We hit moose mecca!!!!
Rubs
DSC02413Small.jpg

Poop
DSC02410Small.jpg

Tracks
DSC02421Small.jpg

Wallows
DSC02417Small.jpg

We had a great time and we even got to see a bull moose!!! I was so glad my son got to see one. Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of the moose but my sons expression after seeing this huge black deer was priceless. The hills of Vermont are just starting to turn and the trio of moose seekers couldn't be more excited with anticipation!!!
DSC02384Small.jpg

DSC02378Small.jpg

DSC02415Small.jpg

DSC02426Small.jpg

Now that's just awsome. Great pics. Next set of pics ,I hope to see a bull moose between you and Nug. Best of luck on your up coming hunt.

JD said:
Now that's just awsome. Great pics. Next set of pics ,I hope to see a bull moose between you and Nug. Best of luck on your up coming hunt.
Thanks Jon! We have one more scouting trip slated for early next month. Hopefully we will be able to mix in a little grouse hunting during that trip and then after that hopefully we'll be dining on some moose tenderloin...??? :wink:

Thanks for the report Jimmy. I think we had a great time.
Some more pictures from that trip.
P9160030.jpg

P9160031.jpg

P9160032.jpg

And finally the only live moose we have seen:
P9170034.jpg

P9170034_1.jpg

Looks like you guys should be in an awesome position for opening day... :applause:

Hey Jim,

Lots of stuff going on...Fortunately I got some decent stuff in the works and once things settle down over the next few weeks things should be getting back to normal just in time for the seasons....

First I have to get through three more weddings in the next four weeks... :drinkers:

Jeff

I can barely make it to everyone else's...I certainly don't have time for one of my own...lol

Latest posts

Back