More .450 Bushmasters

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ENCORE50A said:
https://gunsmagazine.com/exclusive-ruger-no-1-in-450-bushmaster-is-a-formidable-game-stopper/

I was looking really hard at this cartridge. Almost went forward on it in a bolt gun but couldnt really finish the deal and bought one just because I have so many 45-70's that do the job pretty much.

I also dont shoot over 100 yards in my area of hunting ( Heavy brush in Va).

Im sure its poison on deer though.

dave19113 said:
ENCORE50A said:
https://gunsmagazine.com/exclusive-ruger-no-1-in-450-bushmaster-is-a-formidable-game-stopper/

I was looking really hard at this cartridge. Almost went forward on it in a bolt gun but couldnt really finish the deal and bought one just because I have so many 45-70's that do the job pretty much.

Did you get one? If not take a look at the Ruger Americans. Got one and so far I like it.

This would make an AWESOME brush gun! I have always loved the Ruger No. 1 Rifles, they are built like Tanks :yeah:

Idaholewis said:
This would make an AWESOME brush gun! I have always loved the Ruger No. 1 Rifles, they are built like Tanks :yeah:

The .450 Bushmaster is a dandy little round and can be accurate as all get out.

ShawnT said:
dave19113 said:
ENCORE50A said:

Did you get one? If not take a look at the Ruger Americans. Got one and so far I like it.

No, never went through on it. I was weighing the money Id spend on gun and setting up new reloading equipment and if it would fill a niche that I didnt have.

Between my 45-70's with its different loads I have set up; I couldn't justify the purchase.

Im sure its a great deer gun though

dave19113 said:
ShawnT said:
dave19113 said:

No, never went through on it. I was weighing the money Id spend on gun and setting up new reloading equipment and if it would fill a niche that I didnt have.

Between my 45-70's with its different loads I have set up; I couldn't justify the purchase.

Gotcha. I hunt Ohio and now that we can use straight walled cartridges, I have held off for the last 4 years. 45-70 is the most popular rifle cartridge there now. I have never been a big lever rifle fan, just not my preference and the 45-70 though a great cartridge just did not trip my trigger either. My MZ's will do all I need anyway, so I never took the plunge. But when I found out that Ruger released the 450BM in a production bolt rifle it caught my attention. Guess I just like being different. Last weekend I shot a few rounds of the Hornady Custom factory stuff with the 250FTX. I was very impressed with it, so for someone that don't reload or don't want to bother it would be a great option. I do reload so it was just a box I got for some comparison, measurements and velocity's.

ShawnT said:
dave19113 said:
ShawnT said:

Gotcha. I hunt Ohio and now that we can use straight walled cartridges, I have held off for the last 4 years. 45-70 is the most popular rifle cartridge there now. I have never been a big lever rifle fan, just not my preference and the 45-70 though a great cartridge just did not trip my trigger either. My MZ's will do all I need anyway, so I never took the plunge. But when I found out that Ruger released the 450BM in a production bolt rifle it caught my attention. Guess I just like being different. Last weekend I shot a few rounds of the Hornady Custom factory stuff with the 250FTX. I was very impressed with it, so for someone that don't reload or don't want to bother it would be a great option. I do reload so it was just a box I got for some comparison, measurements and velocity's.

I hope to see some fall harvest pictures with the 450BM from you. It is definitely an awesome cartridge. :D :D

blackpowder72 said:
I want a 450BM so bad I can taste it !

Very accurate in single shot, AR's and bolts. This one will group an inch at 300.
Remington 700 SA

100-4920.jpg

ENCORE50A said:
This one will group an inch at 300.

You can get 1” Groups at 300 yards? What Grain bullet are you shooting? Factory, or handloads?

Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:
This one will group an inch at 300.

You can get 1” Groups at 300 yards? What Grain bullet are you shooting? Factory, or handloads?

Reloads with the Hornady 250gr FTX. 37.9grs of Lil'Gun. Frt/RR rest. 300yds is really pushing the bullet's energy for game.

The .450 Bushmaster can be an extremely accurate rifle and it really doesn't matter the manufacturer, or rather its a single shot, AR, or bolt action. Many shooters are getting very close to, with some getting single hole 100yd groups. In the states that now are allowing CF rifles with a straight wall case length minimum of 1.6" and a maximum of 1.8", the rifles are selling almost as fast as dealers can get them in. The customs, then Ruger came out with the American, CVA makes an extremely accurate single shot and now IIRC, Savage and others are jumping on the wagon.

100-4967a2.jpg

IMG-1129.jpg

A little windy, as indicated on the target........

IMG-1156.jpg

Awesome shootin!! :yeah: Depending on your Load, With a 250 Grain bullet your Velocity Should be in the 2,200 FPS Range With a Max Load From what i am Seeing, 2,250 With a Tail wind. which is Plenty to get the Job Done :yeah:

That is an AWESOME looking little Rifle

Idaholewis said:
Awesome shootin!! :yeah: Depending on your Load, With a 250 Grain bullet your Velocity Should be in the 2,200 FPS Range With a Max Load From what i am Seeing, 2,250 With a Tail wind. which is Plenty to get the Job Done :yeah:

That is an AWESOME looking little Rifle

Some............ of the guys that are REALLY into reloading and testing the limits, are getting velocities of 2500fps and one guy I know of is getting more. However, these guys are shooting custom barrels which will handle the pressures. They do not provide their loading information for obvious reasons. Like the .45 muzz, there's a ton of bullets being loaded, everything from XTP's to Parker Match Hunters.

Back