Mosin Nagant goes up in Flames

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My nephews friend was shooting my M44 Mosin Nagant the other week and check this out :suspect:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QYpBXXfBDZs"" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe></iframe>

Those handloads or factory ammo Jon ? Looks like the first shot was loaded with a way slower burning powder than the second one hence the flash.

factory loads. I think the biggest difference was that i zoomed in a few power and that made the picture darker. I have another one and the flame looks just like the second shot on this video. That flame is easy 5 1/2 feet long LOL. Not worth a damn for a sniper rifle as the flame would give you away.

Contaminate powder will do the same thing.  Years ago my son left the lid off a bottle (luckily only a small amount left) of shotgun powder.  With temps in the 90s and humidity to match, I was sure it would not work as well.
Tried a little experiment- measured out 30gr of bottle powder, then cut open a shotshell I had reloaded (for same powder weight).  Poured each into a pile, lit both with cautery tool.  Shotshell powder went POOF (gone very quick)!  Bottle powder went FIZZ (burned slowly).

That must be one loose chamber to have the gases escape out of the action.

Plus that has a 20" carbine barrel and the cartridge was designed for the rifle length barrel, not the carbine.

Back