Most accurate In Line, for the money

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is my opinion that all of the better quality guns can be worked up to shoot a minute of angle by anyone who understands bedding and barrels and crowns. I have seen no reason to fool around with a bolt action in a muzzle loader they are not designed so that the bolt system adds anything to safety or accuracy. I shoot encores mostly I put my 45 together from purchased parts after I worked them over, the 50 was a top of the line purchase that I worked over before I even shot. I can get a minute of angle out of both and believe that the guns can do a lot better than that but I am going on 82 years and have cataracts so I don't do as well as when I shot competition. I believe a person should buy the better grade of gun in the action they shoot best and then work on it until it satisfies them.

I guess the only thing you can do, to a break open rifle, is to make sure the trunion stays tight. And, the headspace. Is there anything else yall do to accurize the break opens?

The triggers can always be improved. If it has an easy load muzzle, some shooters have it cut off and crowned. It also helps to keep the contact surfaces of the locking lug and barrel free from any oil or lube.

The triggers can always be improved. If it has an easy load muzzle, some shooters have it cut off and crowned. It also helps to keep the contact surfaces of the locking lug and barrel free from any oil or lube.

The CVA Accura has an adjustable trigger, but only to 2 1/2lbs. It breaks clean, though.

I’ll agree 100% 3# triggers are perfect for hunting. I just can’t like take up slack, speed bumps, and over travel.
I have most of my hunting rifles at 2 to 2 1/2 lbs.

My most accurate in line is the one with the worst machine bore.
I bought it from my brother. You had to hammer a conical down the bore.
A .010 patch and .490 ball load and shoot great groups.
It is a recalled Appolo CVA that I replaced the plastic cap with a brass plug set screwed in.

I have used it to win a medal or two in the muzzloading men division in Kentucky Bluegrass State Games

The most accurate new inline for the money has got to be the CVA Wolf, IMO. The base model can be bought for less than $200 and they are incredibly accurate for that kind of money.

On my Encore and Contender barrels. I swap out all the factory barrel lock up springs. For heavy duty lock up springs from Bellim TC’s. The lock up is tighter you can hear it when you close the barrel.

All of my Encore and Contender frames also have oversized hinge pins. To eliminate any play between the barrel and receiver.

All of my frames have also had trigger jobs. I like between 2.5-3lbs. I don’t like any lower than that for hunting on a cold day with gloves on.

As far as best gun for the money goes. The CVA Optima V2 thumbhole is hard to beat for the money. I like my Prohunter better but for the money I could hunt with my CVA Optima V2 thumbhole and be happy. You can beat the triggers on the CVA’s for a gun in that price range.

I’ll agree 100% 3# triggers are perfect for hunting. I just can’t like take up slack, speed bumps, and over travel.

Yeah, I don't care for the catches, slack and overtrael. I also cannot stand triggers 6-8 lbs,. like some of the manufacturers are putting on rifles.

Every Optima or above from CVA i ever handled had a very respectable trigger for that kind of money. The Accura and above were exceptionally nice for sub $500 rifles. I did handle a few Wolf models that seemed sub par. Felt gritty and heavier.

That is why when someone asks about a sub $300 rifle i usually recommend the Optima V2. When they blow them out at Wally World after the season they are a steal. Ive seen them sell for around $200.

Every Optima or above from CVA i ever handled had a very respectable trigger for that kind of money. The Accura and above were exceptionally nice for sub $500 rifles. I did handle a few Wolf models that seemed sub par. Felt gritty and heavier.

That is why when someone asks about a sub $300 rifle i usually recommend the Optima V2. When they blow them out at Wally World after the season they are a steal. Ive seen them sell for around $200.

Well, I just bought a new Accura Plains Rifle from Bud's, that was on sale for $399, but the first one I bought, when they came out in 2016, was $538. But. both are Nitride coated SS, with a Duramount and a cheap sling. I was going to buy the Apex, but could not think of one reason I would also need a single shot rifle.

If the Optima had the Bergara barrel and adjustable trigger, I would have bought one.

Ive owned 3-4 Optimas and a Optima Elite and they all had at most a 3# trigger with no creep, was actually surprised by them as Id seen where some people didn't like their triggers.
Also every Optima Ive had has been very accurate with 240-300 gr bullets.

Thats the same report GM54 gave. I am interested, because there are a couple of people I know, that want to get ML, and I wanted to steer them in the right direction. The only CVA I have owned, is the Accura PR, and have not had any practical experience with the other ones. I can say, that the Accura and BH209 a lot more enjoyable to me.

I have a great shooting encore 209x50 magnum , after I removed the that stupid bore guide and had a 11* target crown cut. I also had a trigger spring kit put in and a locking hinge pin. It will shoot 2.5 @ 300 yards with 200 grain shockwaves and 100 grains of bh209. That being said I had another contender 209x50 that wouldn’t shoot anything. I also had a Knight krb7 that would print clovers all day long, and several cva optima pros that shot well. I really think it’s all in taking the time to find the right powder/bullet combo and most will do the job!

Back