Most accurate In Line, for the money

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive owned 3-4 Optimas and a Optima Elite and they all had at most a 3# trigger with no creep, was actually surprised by them as Id seen where some people didn't like their triggers.
Also every Optima Ive had has been very accurate with 240-300 gr bullets.

CVA's quality has come a long, LONG way from what it was in the past; especially their triggers!

CVA went from a gun I would only give to an enemy to one that I would own. In fact, I am getting a 45/70 conversion to smokeless muzzleloader done on one right now. EXCELLENT trigger on that Scout V2!

I bought a Optima V2 with the Konus scope and 28" SS barrel for $189 on a clearance sale. We'll see how it stacks up against my Accura PR.

When I bought my Encore I spent a ton of $$$$ trying to get it to shoot under an inch. Sent it out to get the TLA removed, did all the Bellm tricks, tried the rifle primer conversion, tried a ton of different bullets and powder combos. In the end I got really close, but not sub-minute. Ironically, none of the deer I shot when I was hunting seemed to notice that my rifle only shot 1.5 inches with my hunting load. Go figure. Chasing that sub-minute becomes an obsession some times, which is not a bad thing. I had a bunch of fun doing it.

When I bought my Encore I spent a ton of $$$$ trying to get it to shoot under an inch. Sent it out to get the TLA removed, did all the Bellm tricks, tried the rifle primer conversion, tried a ton of different bullets and powder combos. In the end I got really close, but not sub-minute. Ironically, none of the deer I shot when I was hunting seemed to notice that my rifle only shot 1.5 inches with my hunting load. Go figure. Chasing that sub-minute becomes an obsession some times, which is not a bad thing. I had a bunch of fun doing it.

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I have seen a lot of T/C's, both ML and CF, at the range, and I have yet to see one that will shoot less than 1.5". And, yes, that will kill a deer, but I get a mental thing with a rifle I cannot get to shoot less than an inch at 100 yards. I have a .223 Savage being pillar bedded by Ray Perry, right now, because I could not get it to shoot less than 1 1/4". I bet a coyote would not know the difference, either.

You're not stepping on any toes, but...… every Encore platform rifle I've owned, which has been a number of them, ALL would shoot 1/2moa at 200yds using front and rear rests. The Encore platform rifles are the easiest rifles to modify the frame and make exceptionally accurate. A proper size hinge pin and the HD locking lug spring are necessary, not an option.
My last Pro Hunter would shoot circles around my BP Xpress and I wish I'd have never sold that rifle.

Here's a sample of a 200yd target with an Encore Pro Hunter.

Barnes 250gr TMZ  Long Range.JPG

I don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but I have seen a lot of T/C's, both ML and CF, at the range, and I have yet to see one that will shoot less than 1.5". And, yes, that will kill a deer, but I get a mental thing with a rifle I cannot get to shoot less than an inch at 100 yards. I have a .223 Savage being pillar bedded by Ray Perry, right now, because I could not get it to shoot less than 1 1/4". I bet a coyote would not know the difference, either.

My Encore(same frame) in 204 Ruger shoots easily under 1 MOA, and loads it likes are much closer to a half when I am on my game. It is one of my most accurate platforms, second only to a heavy barrel Savage in 223. I don't doubt at all that the ML platform can be extremely accurate, as evidence by the photo posted just above this post. Nice shooting there sir. I think you and I spent some time conversing when I was doing all the shooting with mine. Mine has the HD spring and oversize hinge pins.

My Encore(same frame) in 204 Ruger shoots easily under 1 MOA, and loads it likes are much closer to a half when I am on my game. It is one of my most accurate platforms, second only to a heavy barrel Savage in 223. I don't doubt at all that the ML platform can be extremely accurate, as evidence by the photo posted just above this post. Nice shooting there sir. I think you and I spent some time conversing when I was doing all the shooting with mine. Mine has the HD spring and oversize hinge pins.
I believe we most likely discussed the Encore platform rifles. ;) I was told I'd miss that last Pro Hunter I sold and everyone that told me that, was right.
One of my nephews has my last Encore, which was all tricked out too. Of course he's still got good eyes and he can keep them in an inch group at 80yds with open sights! 80yds is the furthest he can shoot at his place.
I have two friends that put the Bergara barrels on their Encores and those rifles with the modified frames will shoot!

I have a couple of TC Omegas that are real shooters .

You're not stepping on any toes, but...… every Encore platform rifle I've owned, which has been a number of them, ALL would shoot 1/2moa at 200yds using front and rear rests. The Encore platform rifles are the easiest rifles to modify the frame and make exceptionally accurate. A proper size hinge pin and the HD locking lug spring are necessary, not an option.
My last Pro Hunter would shoot circles around my BP Xpress and I wish I'd have never sold that rifle.

Here's a sample of a 200yd target with an Encore Pro Hunter.

View attachment 3801

This is exactly what I am talking about. I hear a lot of people who praise the T/C, just like Encore's success, but I have just not seen it, and I don't understand why. I have spent major hours at the gun club, and seen a lot of them. I fully believe what Encore is saying, and just don't understand how so many others have such poor groups. Is the shooter, the rifle, the loads? I don't know.

This is exactly what I am talking about. I hear a lot of people who praise the T/C, just like Encore's success, but I have just not seen it, and I don't understand why. I have spent major hours at the gun club, and seen a lot of them. I fully believe what Encore is saying, and just don't understand how so many others have such poor groups. Is the shooter, the rifle, the loads? I don't know.

Sabotloader is right about the Omega. A couple buddies have them and you'll have to pry them from their cold dead hands LOL

Its only my opinion, but I think knowing the Encore platform rifles weaknesses and fixing those, played a big part in their accuracy. Probably the most knowledgeable person in North America concerning Encore platform rifles is Mike Bellm, and he's had those "fixes" for decades. I've been away for years now, but for around $40 in the past, you could completely change an Encore to what one would think is a different rifle. With a little work and the ability to work with small parts, the changes were like daylight and dark.
Most all know about proper fitting hinge pins, but some don't know that the frame and barrel holes can be different sizes and one may need reaming. Then a proper tight fitting hinge pin. Actually I was the first MUZZLELOADER shooter, to bring to Mike's attention having locking lug issues. It had been known by CF shooters, but had never been brought up by a muzzleloader shooter. The simple fix for that, or rather the most common, was to utilize the heavy duty locking lug spring. In SEVERE cases, the locking lug required a weld, then some grinding to tighten it up. Its most noticeable with vertical strings at longer ranges.
Removing and replacing the stock 36# hammer spring with either the 44 or 50# springs helped. Replacing the light weight firing pin spring with a HD spring helped. Mike provided all the directions to replace trigger springs as desired and honing the sear smooth as silk. All these changes that could be made, at the time, were around $40 and 90 minutes when finished, it felt like a completely different rifle.
Then you have, for a lack of any other term, "THE AVERAGE HUNTER". They are the least likely to know of the "fixes". He or she may have mounted the scope correctly, maybe not. They get their muzzleloader out prior to the season and fire a few rounds and wonder why its not shooting any better. They put a 4x or maybe 2-7 variable on their rifle and expect to hit dime size groups at 100yds. Possibly with a spring boarding mount. The "AVERAGE" is going to have a tough time doing that.
So then you have the guys that come along stating that the rifle owner shouldn't have to do those things. Well, the only argument that can be made is, what other production rifle is there that you don't have to do something to, to fix an issue?
I had exceptional results with many different Encore platform rifles. Thus ENCORE50A...……..

I know about the hinge pins. I told someone recently, that the lock up of the break open rifles, was very important, to good accuracy. Not like you can blueprint the action, bed it or float the barrel. I learned about the hinge and lock up, when I was shooting clay birds. It can affect a shotgun POI, just like it can a rifle.

I have 2 Prohunter frames and a g2 Contender frames. All of which have been totally worked over with Bellim parts. I also have several high dollar bolt action rifles from Browning Xbolt s to Rem 700’s. My TC Prohunter will shoot as good as any one of them and better than most.

As far as S&W goes. My 35 Whelen , 30/06 and 50cal are all 3 28in Prohunter S&W barrels. They will all 3 shoot sub MOA without any probablems. I also have MGM custom barrels that shoot 1/2 MOA in most cases. But my 30/06 Prohunter barrel is stupid accurate. Only my MGM 308 barrel will out shoot it.

A scope has a lot to do with group size. A 3x9x40 is my favorite hunting scope for the woods. But any bench shooter knows you can’t shoot groups with a 3x9x40 at 100yds like you can with say a 16 or 18 power scope. The better you can see the easier it is to get group size small.

Sabotloader is right about the Omega. A couple buddies have them and you'll have to pry them from their cold dead hands LOL
I never owned an Omega when they were produced and purchased my first one about a year and a half ago to use the action for a custom smokeless build by Jeff Fisk. It was a stainless barreled model in a plastic camo stock and had an older Nikon scope already mounted. It looked almost unused so just for a lark I decided to shoot it before stripping the action off to send Jeff. It shot so well, I couldn't part it out and ended up buying another action for the custom build, then bought a Boyds thumbhole stock for it and mounted a better scope I had from another rifle I sold. Now I can't foresee ever selling it.
Recently, I purchased another Omega barrel and action for a really good price from eBay so I would have a spare action for parts, if needed, and for another possible custom build sometime in the future. I mounted it in the plastic camo stock and mounted the scope that I still had from the original Omega I bought and went out and shot bug holes with anything I fed it. I now know why owners of the rifles like them so much.

Well i just don't know. The most accurate rifle for the money??????

Things i do know is anymore, the Omega is the only rifle that goes with me when i go hunting. The Omega is plenty accurate to put many many deer in our freezer. I like the way the Omega feels in my hands, and how it feels on my shoulder. For me the Omega is easiest to clean of all rifles. To me it is cool, in this era of fancy modified breech plugs, how one plain factory breech plug makes a perfect seal in every Omega rifle; without 'fitting'. The Omega is short for any length barrel, because of the action type. Short, and light, perfect for me to 'carry' whilst hunting.

Didn't seem right for me to post in this thread because the Omega is no longer being manufactured.

I never owned an Omega when they were produced and purchased my first one about a year and a half ago to use the action for a custom smokeless build by Jeff Fisk. It was a stainless barreled model in a plastic camo stock and had an older Nikon scope already mounted. It looked almost unused so just for a lark I decided to shoot it before stripping the action off to send Jeff. It shot so well, I couldn't part it out and ended up buying another action for the custom build, then bought a Boyds thumbhole stock for it and mounted a better scope I had from another rifle I sold. Now I can't foresee ever selling it.
Recently, I purchased another Omega barrel and action for a really good price from eBay so I would have a spare action for parts, if needed, and for another possible custom build sometime in the future. I mounted it in the plastic camo stock and mounted the scope that I still had from the original Omega I bought and went out and shot bug holes with anything I fed it. I now know why owners of the rifles like them so much.

Jeff custom Omegas are my favorite customs

If you can find a used NEF sidekick or huntsman you'll be hard pressed to beat it for accuracy. Ive seen them as cheap a 150 bucks.I know busta on here has target photos saved, I do not. It is a shame NEF stopped making them along with TC not making the omega

Latest posts

Back