Most accurate In Line, for the money

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting thread. Obviously the question of the "best bang for the buck" can not be definitively answered because of differences in individual priorities, so I will not try to add to it. I will say what I believe is not "the best bang for the buck" and that is a $75-$100. used 20-25 year old, discontinued model that was too good of a bargain to pass up, especially the imported rifles. Yes, there are some good, even great, old inlines, mostly from the US companies and there are occasional old imports that aren't bad either. However, I have had several friends come to me with their bargain buys and want advice on how to get them to shoot better, or use 209 primers or BH 209 powder and they aren't real happy when you convince them the rifles have glaring mechanical or corrosion issues or that there is only so much you do and what they may wish for is not possible. I 've read a lot of posts from people that have done the same. If you know someone getting into muzzleloading and not wanting to spend much money, do all you can to but a proven, well maintained used rifle or a good new entry level rifle. Cheap, old, used inlines are very rarely "the best bang for the buck".

The first post was not a statement, it was a question. It is my understanding, which of course may be incorrect, all questions are welcome on this forum. Criticizing how a question is asked is not in the spirit of this forum is it? Please forgive me if i see this forum incorrectly.

The first post was not a statement, it was a question. It is my understanding, which of course may be incorrect, all questions are welcome on this forum. Criticizing how a question is asked is not in the spirit of this forum is it? Please forgive me if i see this forum incorrectly.

There are many In-line ML's out there. I just wonder what is the best bang for the buck. I am currently shooting the CVA Accure Plains Rifle, with the Bergara barrel, and this thing just stacks them in there. I was so impressed, I bought another one, and put my back up, up for sale. I understand that Knight makes a fine rifle, with the Green Mountain barrels. but, the prices are quite a bit higher. Kinda like the Match Grade M1A I paid $2400 for, and having a pristine Remington 03A3 that shoots just as good, and I only paid $400 for it. haha. What's your thoughts?

Yes Ron, you can call it a question, which was answered numerous times by many. Its only been since the last part of the discussions, that the OP indicated exactly what he was asking questions about in a statement.

I started this thread, with the hunter in mind, and with accuracy and money the goal, with ease of use. With that in mind, any rifle that will shoot 1 inch at 100 yards, qualifies. Not talking about the most accurate rifle out there. Example, I have fully match conditioned M1As, that group less than an inch at 100 yards, but, I also have a box stock DCM Remington 03A3 that will group just as good. The M1As like mine, sell in the $3200 range, while I gave $400 for the 03A3. Either one will qualify for NRA Service Rifle matches, but, best bang for the buck, is clearly the 03A3.

Not really. His entire intent should have been stated in his first post, avoiding all the posts.

The intent was stated. The reasoning behind it, was not. Encore50, lighten up a bit.

The intent was stated. The reasoning behind it, was not. Encore50, lighten up a bit.
No one's getting riled. Your question ….. could.... have been asked with your included statement, "I started this thread, with the hunter in mind, and with accuracy and money the goal, with ease of use. With that in mind, any rifle that will shoot 1 inch at 100 yards"... which would have brought you totally different answers.

So to answer your original question as you intended, There isn't a modern inline muzzleloader made today that won't meet your requirements.

No one's getting riled. Your question ….. could.... have been asked with your included statement, "I started this thread, with the hunter in mind, and with accuracy and money the goal, with ease of use. With that in mind, any rifle that will shoot 1 inch at 100 yards"... which would have brought you totally different answers.

So to answer your original question as you intended, There isn't a modern inline muzzleloader made today that won't meet your requirements.

I guess maybe I should have consulted you , prior to posting, if it met your approval.

An interesting thread. Obviously the question of the "best bang for the buck" can not be definitively answered because of differences in individual priorities, so I will not try to add to it. I will say what I believe is not "the best bang for the buck" and that is a $75-$100. used 20-25 year old, discontinued model that was too good of a bargain to pass up, especially the imported rifles. Yes, there are some good, even great, old inlines, mostly from the US companies and there are occasional old imports that aren't bad either. However, I have had several friends come to me with their bargain buys and want advice on how to get them to shoot better, or use 209 primers or BH 209 powder and they aren't real happy when you convince them the rifles have glaring mechanical or corrosion issues or that there is only so much you do and what they may wish for is not possible. I 've read a lot of posts from people that have done the same. If you know someone getting into muzzleloading and not wanting to spend much money, do all you can to but a proven, well maintained used rifle or a good new entry level rifle. Cheap, old, used inlines are very rarely "the best bang for the buck".

Very few used In Lines for sale around here. In fact, the only ads I have seen, were mine. haha. Good advice, though!

New Ultra Light Arms. Mine though is stamped with the "pre Colt" sale name Ultra Light Arms. Melvin Forbes sold ULA to Colt and later bought the company back. Colt retained the name so he renamed it. Mine is one of the first 50 made. I got it from one of the previous owners of this forum back around 2010ish. I wouldn't sell it for double what i paid.

Sounds like you were in the right place at the right time, to get a good performing rifle.

When your talking for the money your never going to beat CVA. They have a good barrel and the best trigger out there in a gun at that price point. CVA is good at what they do they make a gun that shoots great at a good price.

That’s also what hurts CVA in the aftermarket accessories though. It’s hard for Boyds or somebody to make 200 dollar stock sets for a 300-400 dollar gun. People don’t buy CVA’s to sink more money in them.

1. When your talking for the money your never going to beat CVA. They have a good barrel and the best trigger out there in a gun at that price point. CVA is good at what they do they make a gun that shoots great at a good price.
    [*]
    That’s also what hurts CVA in the aftermarket accessories though. It’s hard for Boyds or somebody to make 200 dollar stock sets for a 300-400 dollar gun. People don’t buy CVA’s to sink more money in them.[/QUOTMakes sense.
Makes Sense. Thanks!

My new Thunder Hawk is proving to be exceptionally accurate. Got her for $150.
My .50 Black Diamond XR is also extremely accurate and boringly consistent. Got her new for $225 10 years ago.
Had an Omega Z5 that shot WAY above its $ 250 price tag.
Most muzzleloaders in any kind of condition, will shoot quite well once their loads are figured out. I have a Super 45 45XR that is being stubborn. The addition of a walnut stock should go a long way in coaxing good consistent accuracy out of her.
One thing that a silly little Chinese Type 56 ( SKS) taught me is, if you shoot any rifle with the same care and attention to technique that you would with a target rifle, it will most likely surprise you. That little 56, on a nice calm day, out shot 2 National Match Caliber 30 M1 rifles at 200 yards. No doubt the owners had a lot to do with it, but 10 shots in a r inch group from an as issued rifle ( open sights)shooting reloads, is not at all hard to take.

Who makes the Thunderhawk?

The ThunderHawk was one of , if not the first model inline made by Thompson Center.
They came in .50 and 54 calibers, blued and stainless with walnut or synthetic stocks. Barrel length was 22 or 24 inches, 1-38 twist.
Wish they still made them...

The ThunderHawk was one of , if not the first model inline made by Thompson Center.
They came in .50 and 54 calibers, blued and stainless with walnut or synthetic stocks. Barrel length was 22 or 24 inches, 1-38 twist.
Wish they still made them...

Kinda thought it sounded like a T/C name. Thanks!

Both of my Whitelights shoot 1" or less groups at 100 yards depending on the load. Cost for both $350 total.

Jerry

I just bought the cva accura v2 and I'm waiting on a Nikon p3 scope. I ordered the bh209 breech plug. If anyone has successfully gained consistent accuracy .I'm looking for suggestions on load combinations I understand all guns are different but maybe it'll give me a good starting point

I just bought the cva accura v2 and I'm waiting on a Nikon p3 scope. I ordered the bh209 breech plug. If anyone has successfully gained consistent accuracy .I'm looking for suggestions on load combinations I understand all guns are different but maybe it'll give me a good starting point

I helped two friends set theirs up. Both used Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullets. One used 110grs volume, the other felt he wanted a 120gr volume charge. BOTH rifles shot excellent. Both my friends filled their western tags that year and last year. They're still using the same combinations.

Reyd, The suggested load by the Blackhorn people is 100 gr (by volume) behind a 250 grain bullet, works very well. Some people find that 90 grains works better for them. As you are new to the forum, you need to realize that when I say 100 gr of BH209, by volume, that means if you have a standard black powder volume measure, you fill it to the 100 grain mark. If you were to weigh that charge, it would actually weigh about 70 grains. I had had good luck with the Hornady 250 gr SST using the red sabots they provide with it. You might want to start a new thread, asking your individual questions. Use CCI209M or Federal 209A primers. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back