Most accurate In Line, for the money

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It ALL depends on what each individual expects for an end result.

You can have 10 hunting rifles at $300 each, or one exceptional $3,000 rifle.

You can buy two $300 rifles ($600) and still not be happy, then buy another and another $300 rifle and maybe be satisfied with one of those. Or, you could spend $1200 on a single rifle and be satisfied with it, or not.

Then when you get through with all of that, you still may not not be happy. ;)

Start with a custom and be done :)

MLs are like potato chips and ex wives... you cant have just one.

I just bought the cva accura v2 and I'm waiting on a Nikon p3 scope. I ordered the bh209 breech plug. If anyone has successfully gained consistent accuracy .I'm looking for suggestions on load combinations I understand all guns are different but maybe it'll give me a good starting point
I've have owned 3 different current model CVA rifles and find them to be not very load picky. Almost any good bullet will shoot well when matched with the right sabot, which is generally the tightest sabot that will load without undue difficulty. Here are some combinations that I found will consistently shoot 1"-1" groups at 100 yd:
Hornady .45 300 gr SST & Harvester short smooth black sabot
CEB .44 250 gr Maximus & Harvester smooth green sabot
Parker .45 275 gr BE & Harvester red crush rib sabot
Hornady .429 265 gr FTX & Harvester smooth green sabot
Hornady .458 250 gr Monoflex & MMP orange HPH sabot
Hornady .458 325 gr FTX & MMP orange HPH sabot
Barnes 290 TEZ & supplied MMP HPH-24 sabot
Hornady .45 300 gr XTP & Harvester short smooth black sabot
110 gr BH 209 has been the best powder load in my rifles but I back off to 100 gr with the 300 gr and over bullets. The .458 bullets load pretty tight with the orange MMP sabot but Harvester recently came out with an orange crush rib sabot which might work well. I have not tried it yet. As always, your rifle bore may be a bit different in diameter and might work well with a different sabot but I have found the Bergara barrels to very consistent in bore diameter.
Enjoy! Experimenting with load development is over half the fun of shooting muzzleloaders, IMO.

The hunting bullet you choose to shoot will dictate the sabot you want. I find in the Optimas I shoot with the Barnes 250 TEZ, they shoot best with a Harvester black smooth sabot. The Barnes is a .451 bullet which is a bit smaller in diameter than other bullets. You’ll need a sabot that will give you a snug fit. As far as primers go, I prefer a Remington STS primer with an Oring in the bottom of the primer pocket. It keeps all the fire headed to the powder and elimates the blowback that soots up your action and firing pin. If your primer comes out black after firing, you need a longer primer or the oring set up I described.

I have 8-10 Encores various calibers the last one I shot was a 25-06 and it shoots less than an inch even when I am not up to par and one contender 445SM that I just got from MGM for the new Delaware allowing pistol calibers also got a 460 S&W that is a real shooter the screws in the fore end are coming loose all the time I may convert it to smokeless as it has a 1-20 twist I don't think 60 rains of 4198 will have as much recoil

I'm somewhat new to this so please excuse my question if it seems dumb. Don't the o rings melt in the primer pocket when the gun is fired?

Yes they do; it takes maybe 35 shots or so to render them to near failure. Changing them after 20 or so shots prevents failure; keeps one secure knowing they will be reliable for the next shot.

So far in my ML collecting and shooting career, My .45 Knight Disc Elite has been the best bang for the buck for me. I paid less than $300 for it (in excellent condition) - it shoots sub MOA easily, and is a top quality rifle. I have a number of other quality rifles that I got for $200-300 that will shoot MOA if I do my part. And honestly, I'm an avg shooter.

For new off the shelf, probably cva has the best options that are inexpensive and decent rifles that shoot well.

........Don't the o rings melt in the primer pocket when the gun is fired?
What happens is the o-ring goes away as one shoots the rifle. It doesn't melt to the plug; it just goes away with each shot, and then breaks. It is prudent to toss the used o-ring, before it creates a problem when breaking. In the photo, the new one on the left is thick; the used one on the right is 'going away'.

IMG_3987.JPG

So far in my ML collecting and shooting career, My .45 Knight Disc Elite has been the best bang for the buck for me. I paid less than $300 for it (in excellent condition) - it shoots sub MOA easily, and is a top quality rifle. I have a number of other quality rifles that I got for $200-300 that will shoot MOA if I do my part. And honestly, I'm an avg shooter.

For new off the shelf, probably cva has the best options that are inexpensive and decent rifles that shoot well.
That’s great to hear, I recently purchased a disc elite 45 , haven’t shot it yet but it is in pristine condition, took me a while to get a good one, I paid more than most, I feel it was worth it

Thanks Sabinajiles I am definitely excited to figure out what works well out of this new gun cause I just put in for my hunts deer,elk,antelope muzzleloader of course and if I draw a barby sheep tag hopefully I'm confident enough to attempt to take one muzzleloader also

My V2 Accura really likes the .44 cal 300 grain XTP in a green crush rib over 77 weighed grains of BH209. My shots are pretty much inside 100 yards but I am sighted at 100 and five shots pretty much blow out one ragged hole when I do things right. This bullet and load is pretty much a stopper in their tracks. I can swap out that .44 grain bullet for a .45 cal XTP in non-magnum 300 grain using the same powder charge and a black crush rib but the 5 shot group opens up to about an inch and a half. I'm getting handy at popping crows inside the 100 yards with the .44 cal load.

My V2 Accura really likes the .44 cal 300 grain XTP in a green crush rib over 77 weighed grains of BH209. My shots are pretty much inside 100 yards but I am sighted at 100 and five shots pretty much blow out one ragged hole when I do things right. This bullet and load is pretty much a stopper in their tracks. I can swap out that .44 grain bullet for a .45 cal XTP in non-magnum 300 grain using the same powder charge and a black crush rib but the 5 shot group opens up to about an inch and a half. I'm getting handy at popping crows inside the 100 yards with the .44 cal load.
Thanks Mr Tom my accura is a 50cal is yours a 45cal

Mine is a 50 also. I have the 50 Optima pistol as well that seems to do just a bit better using the .44 cal pills. A T/C Impact [50 cal] will do anything I put in it between the .44 and .45 cal bullets and using the 77 weighed grains of 209 powder it too is a solid 1" shooter at 100 yards. I have an older CVA Kodiak .45 rifle that I bought for a song at a Scheels store used. The gun came with maybe 200.00 of pellets and powerbelts....tons of the stuff....that I just got rid of. I drilled the breech plug to make it compatible with 209 powder use and to use a vent liner. Using 40 cal XTP 200 grain bullets that gun too is a real one holer.

I have hunted the XTP's exclusively for the last ten years and find that on the paper range they're equally as effective, however I do have deep curls in both the 44 and 45 cals in weighs similar or like to the XTPs. I have a couple different Swift A-Frame bullets in the 300 grain range. These all shoot identical to the XTPs on paper and I'd have zero doubt about going afield with any of them tomorrow. I know that they'd preform. I just received several boxes of various Barnes bullets to work with this spring if we can get a day or two without a gale blowing. With all the hollering about lead in the environment I'm thinking I'll just find one of the Barnes bullets that works good in the 50 cal long guns and one that will play nice in that Kodiak and the Optima pistol and hunt with those from now on and chuck the stuff with lead at paper.

Accuras and Optimas are fine weapons and are offered in many forms of ignition to put anyone a field within the laws of whatever state at very affordable pricing. And by playing with the bullets and sabots and powders and primers I think they can shoot every bit as good as costly guns at reasonable hunting ranges. If a person has some disposable cash and feels that a higher priced gun is not going to send them into a financial tailspin, by all means go ahead. The Accuras and Optimas offer some serious good shooting basically right out of the box at very affordable pricing. And they play very nice with a whole lot of very affordable bullet/sabot/ powder options.

What happens is the o-ring goes away as one shoots the rifle. It doesn't melt to the plug; it just goes away with each shot, and then breaks. It is prudent to toss the used o-ring, before it creates a problem when breaking. In the photo, the new one on the left is thick; the used one on the right is 'going away'.

IMG_3987.JPG
Would changing the breech plus possibly eliminate the need for the o-ring?

Remington 700 385 Plains bullet 110gr FF2. 50 and 100 yards. Rifle $200, getcha one if you ever have the opportunity. This was my pre-hunt check to see if it was still on the money.

Attachments

• ML Target.JPG
    ML Target.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 33
  • ML Target 1.JPG
    ML Target 1.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 34
  • ML 2.JPG
    ML 2.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 34
Would changing the breech plus possibly eliminate the need for the o-ring?
No, it won't. The best way to remedy the issue is to get the CVA firing pin bushing shim kit and shim the firing pin bushing for about .002" crush on Winchester 209 primers. Blowback is eliminated without any o-ring needed and the primer is allowed to seat completely into the primer pocket of the breech plug. Easy to do and once done, you never need to worry about replacing o-rings.

Remington 700 385 Plains bullet 110gr FF2. 50 and 100 yards. Rifle $200, getcha one if you ever have the opportunity. This was my pre-hunt check to see if it was still on the money.

Does that Remington ml have a different barrel on the gun ?

Does that Remington ml have a different barrel on the gun ?
Yes, when I bought the rifle online the guy said it was in excellent condition, however the barrel was pitted. I bought the replacement Remington barrel from a guy that was using the remy actions to build smokeless rifles. The barrel was $50 shipped.

Latest posts

Back