Mountain Rifle Sneaks into the House and Decided to Stay

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seem to be doing everything right, and the photo is just 152kb, so it's pretty frustrating! I'll keep trying.

cva_mo13.jpg

cva_mo14.jpg

cva_mo15.jpg

Success!

Is that a walnut stock? The stain has brought out the figure in the wood. I suppose that it has an after-market refinishing of the stock.

Did you add the patch box and medallion?

Very nice.
Ron

No, I bought it pretty much the way you see it, with the exception of the coin in the stock. The stock is either walnut or cherry. I'll need to check it carefully to tell. The previous owner, Shandy, had an 1897 coin custom-fitted into the stock, and part of the deal was that he kept the coin. I've been trying to figure out what coin it was, so I could fill the hole exactly, but I haven't been successful until recently, when I bought an 1879 liberty silver dollar. I still have to  complete that inlay job. The coin you see in it right now looks quite good, but it's a 2000 liberty dollar piece. Not very old.

The barrel is like new inside. 

My dear friend Shandy from Texas said he built this rifle from a CVA kit that came out in 1978. He said he spent a lot of time finding extras for it, which, as far as I can tell, means "bling," if you'll excuse the term. However, I've seen the stone-stock mountain rifle with the pewter parts from that kit, and I have to admit that I like what he did to it. He did a re-stain and refinish and in general refurbishing a year or two before I bought it from him. He said he hadn't done any finish work on it since it was first built, so it really needed it. 

Now, I can say with certainty that this rifle has harvested many a deer, as in Texas we usually have somewhere around 11 deer tags placed around the edges of our hunting licenses each year (Funny little deer, great big horns, about the size of a medium dog, took two or even three of them to equal one white-tail or black-tail deer.), and Shandy was an avid hunter. He said he shot a bunch of deer every single year with it, and that it's real accurate.  He was right about that. It took about 8 years to talk him into selling it to me! Sadly, I don't get the opportunity to shoot it here in Washington state as much; not like I did there in Texas. But I don't think I've ever had a rifle that looked this good over my mantle! :Red tup:

Truthfully, I'm a little ashamed that I turned a hard-working rifle into a wall-hanger. But not so much that I'd give it back!

Muley said:
You're in Washington. Go elk hunting with it.
You ain't just whistlin' Dixie! I'm fairly new here, trying to meet other smokepole shooters in my area, and the regulations here are insane. I'm pretty sure you have be a lawyer here to hunt. :Questuon:   Hunting Elk here is my plan, to be sure, and they do have a primitive weapons season here for Elk.

That is a gorgeous ML Ron. Makes my wall-hanger, brassy Traditions Shenandoah long-rifle look like a dollar store ML.....lol

KFC,
The coin with the coppery/brassy look you see in the stock is (edited!) just a standard Liberty one-dollar piece, mint date 2000, not much bigger than a quarter. Sacagawea's face is on the front. I actually got it in my change from the store with my quarters! It has a nice look. I just edited this, because I realized it was a one-dollar coin, not a two-dollar.
What I bought to replace it was a Morgan Silver dollar with an 1879 date. Lady Liberty's face on the front, a spread eagle on the back. You can get them on EBay for anywhere from 10 to 50 dollars, depending upon the condition. I saw one on there that still looked pretty good, saw the auction was about to end in three minutes, and the bidding was at 13 bucks with no reserve. I bid 14 or 15 bucks as quickly as I could, and a minute later a I got a notice announcing that I was the winner. "Well, that was easy," I said. Something like 18 bucks total with shipping.  Not sure if I should have it "rolled" to follow the stock contour, but it's big enough that I'm considering it. Then the real work begins.

RonC said:
Is that a walnut stock? The stain has brought out the figure in the wood. I suppose that it has an after-market refinishing of the stock.

Did you add the patch box and medallion?

Very nice.
Ron
Ron, I just took it down and studied it some, and I'm convinced it's neither cherry nor Walnut. It's way too light for walnut, I can tell you that. Has no weight to it. I'm unfamiliar with the wood. What type of wood is your stock?

early models used maple, especially that year with the 4 screw patch box.

You know, I just realized that these may look alike, but your rifle is a gen-U-ine GRRW rifle, isn't it, Ron? I can't believe I didn't spot that front stock. Weren't their Indian Trade Rifles made with that style of finish?

Nice!

FG, I think you're right. That's maple grain I'm looking at. The dark stain threw me off.

Dead-Eye, the barrel is a Sharon. My understanding is that GRRW and Sharon were around for a short period at the same time.
According to the builder:
It has an original 1" Sharon Barrel stamped with the name on the top flat. It has a beautiful CM 4 heavily striped stock and has been stained with LMF maple. The stripe is iridescent, and changes in the sun. The length over all is 49.5" the barrel length is 32.5". The final finish is many coats of Tru-Oil.

Ron

RonC said:
Dead-Eye, the barrel is a Sharon. My understanding is that GRRW and Sharon were around for a short period at the same time.
According to the builder:
It has an original 1" Sharon Barrel stamped with the name on the top flat. It has a beautiful CM 4 heavily striped stock and has been stained with LMF maple. The stripe is iridescent, and changes in the sun. The length over all is 49.5" the barrel length is 32.5". The final finish is many coats of Tru-Oil.

Ron
It's super-detailed up close, as nice as they come. Custom-deluxe, to be sure. I love that finish, and the matte metal.

It does come with a problem. Now, when I go to Rendezvous, the ladies will notice the attractive rifle before they notice me. :lol: 
Actually, I gave up on them noticing me a long time ago. :D My wife makes certain of that!
Ron

I'm happy to have my lady, and I'm happy to have my rifles. Isn't this what we worked all our lives for?

That doesn't mean you can't hang for a while with Annie Oakley if you run into her at the Rendezvous!

You know, discussing loads, trajectories, tips and tricks. . . :Red tup:

Back