Must be.......

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iced in right now. We have had some unusually warm weather. I mean days in the high 30's even possible 40 degrees. For February here, that is just unheard of. And all the snow areas plowed turned wet then froze so its like a giant ice skating pond in my plowed driveway/ walk areas. Ice is not my friend. And the snow on the ground is quite deep, so trudging out to the target is now a chore.

As for shooting ... I threw some old apples out on the snow last week and then shot them. It was quite the challenge as the ranges were unknown, and of course with a flintlock braced on a shooting staff, it was a lot of fun. My custom .54 made short work of the fruit.

I am doing some shooting but I have come to the conclusion that there is probably not much of a reason to post anything anymore . I doubt if what I am doing is of much interest to most . :mrgreen:

Same thing here cayuga. That first 10" of slush we got, settled to about 7-8", then it dropped down to -16° and froze the top. The ground didn't even get a chance to freeze. Then it warmed right back up to around 40° then we got another 8" of slush. It finally thawed enough that some of the snow would come off the house and still, the valleys have 4-6" of ice. Can't win :(
Did put the snowshoes on to hang a target, but twice to that was enough... Got the scope back to zero. Sent 40 rounds of .22 from the Buckmark today and now, waiting for this next storm to hit.......
However its like the monkey said when they cut off his tail......... 'Won't be long now.'

Allow me to vent a bit... To put it bluntly this winter sucks! Starting with our late ML season where it's usually 0° and at least a foot of snow and a blast to hunt in. This year was 45° and no snow. Then this winter has just been odd. Very very warm. I plow snow as a second job in the winter and have since I was 16. That extra income for the family sure is nice and we have kind of learned to depend on it. In a usual winter it's an average of 26 plowable events, this year I've plowed 4 times :x . I have been able to see my lawn most of the winter, normally it's about 3' on the ground this time of year. Also I like ice fishing and so do 2 of my kids. With such a late freeze and now crazy warm Temps it's just not safe to have the kids out there.

Not sure if this is what you hand in mind for this thread Encore but there it is lol. Maybe I'm grumpy cause I haven't shot in over a month.

ENCORE50A said:
Everyone snowed in? Anyone catching any walleye?
Nobody shoot'n?

No snow. It was 64 here last Friday. The crazies are trolling the western basin lake Erie. I don't like fishing in my Carharts anymore, getting to old. Couldn't shoot, snow was to deep. It got warm, now the water is to deep. I hate winter, getting to old. I think there is a pattern forming here.

fishhawk2700 said:
ENCORE50A said:
Everyone snowed in? Anyone catching any walleye?
Nobody shoot'n?

No snow. It was 64 here last Friday. The crazies are trolling the western basin lake Erie. I don't like fishing in my Carharts anymore, getting to old. Couldn't shoot, snow was to deep. It got warm, now the water is to deep. I hate winter, getting to old. I think there is a pattern forming here.

Its been a crazy winter no doubt. I think you folks down below are right in the bulls eye for this next storm too. The snow doesn't bother me, its the type of snow we've been getting this year. Its been so heavy you can't even lift a shovel of it, making it extremely hard to move. Most years the lake (here) will end up with 24" to 38" of ice. This year they say only 9" and one UTV has already hit a gas pocket. They were lucky, as others got ropes on it to keep it from going to the bottom in 60'.
The wife and I used to slip a 31' boat on Lake Erie at Toledo Beach Marina when we were working. Yes, there are some crazies trying for those walleye before they run the rivers.
I need to start practicing, yet this weather just puts a complete halt to it. I'm getting to darn old myself to put on snowshoes and hang targets at just 100yds, let alone trying to shoe and further. Appears its affecting a lot of others also.

Must be............ the complaint departments :wink:

Had the day off today, but its raining and blowing 25-40. :roll: Got out last week once (Half just to finally shoot out my last hunting load) Messed around trying a few of these and a few of those for groups, and wasnt getting good results with anything.
So I dug the 300 Scorpion PTs (My Mountaineer loves them) set up the tray with crush ribs and 75(w)BH tubes and Had fun ringing gongs at 200 for a while.

Squeeze said:
Had the day off today, but its raining and blowing 25-40. :roll: Got out last week once (Half just to finally shoot out my last hunting load) Messed around trying a few of these and a few of those for groups, and wasnt getting good results with anything.
So I dug the 300 Scorpion PTs (My Mountaineer loves them) set up the tray with crush ribs and 75(w)BH tubes and Had fun ringing gongs at 200 for a while.

I am with you on the scorpions, both my kids harvested elk this past season with them one long poke at 236 yards with 114gr by volume of BH209, the other at 86 yards bother shoulder shots and both pass threws we are warming up in Az, today's high was 82 degrees good shooting weather

Latest posts

Back