Muzzle-Loader: Help Identifying

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey you guys. Anyone here knowledgeable about muzzle-loaders? ;)

I could really use some assistance in identifying what this guy is, what an accurate description is and what a possible value might be. Thanks in advance for your help.

Percussion Cap Muzzle-loader (.50 cal)

IMG0761-X2.jpg

IMG0762-X2.jpg

IMG0763-X2.jpg

IMG0764-X2.jpg

IMG0766-X2.jpg

IMG0767-X2.jpg

IMG0768-X2.jpg

IMG0769-X2.jpg

IMG0770-X2.jpg

IMG0771-X2.jpg

Another online buddy told me,
That's a Hawken style rifle. Value is determined by who made it and condition. If its a Spanish made gun, under $150. If Italian, up to $200. If its a CVA kit, depends on how well it was put together. Thompson Centers usually go for $300 or so. If it's an 'original' 1800's gun it would definitely need more info on who made it.
...but that's all I've got. Is there anything specific I should look for to help identify it further? I only noticed the serial number stamped on the barrel -- but if I knew where to look I might be able to photograph more.

Looks like an Investarms (Italian). Lyman is made by them, and TC is very similar. The trigger guard looks to be TC, but is not a definative ID.

I agree with lewistt. It looks like either an Investarms or TC. However, looking at the fit of the hardware, I would lean towards an Investarms or a kit gun from TC.

Looks just like a Thompson Center Hawken to me. Could be a look alike?

I think the patch box was personalized for the owner. I'm not good at values but 150 -250 would be a fair range.

Just because you did not mention barrel markings.. I would rule out Thompson Center. T/C was pretty good about marking their barrels with their name and the model of the rifle.

Depending on the age it could be an Investarms. Or Lyman (same company) but again, they were normally marked on the barrel. Some of the floater brands like Jukar, CVA, and Kit guns were not marked. Without a real close examination of the rifle, I would only be able to guess at the maker.

As for the value, if the rifle is well put together, a safe guess of value is $200-$250.00. If it were T/C that could be higher.

One of your images has a marking on the side of the barrel. Can you get me a better image of that area?

It sure looks like TC to me. The serial Number is in the right place. Most likely from a kit as TC did not put the name TC on kit guns.. The patch box, trigger guard and Buttplate all resemble all TC Hawken as well as the sideplate that holds the lock. ALL TC.

Looks like someone may have used a Track of the Wolf hook breech or installed a clean out screw.

This is DEFIANTLY not a Lyman product. If it were of Spanish origin the FONT and lettering would be different and in different locations.

I am putting money on this that it is a TC from a kit.

I have had two T/C kit guns (currently down to one) and on both of them where the serial number is it starts out K**** indicating it was a kit gun.

Latest posts

Back