Muzzle Loading Shotgun Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice old gun. I would suggest to first determine that it's not loaded. Can you unscrew the nipples ok?
My next suggestion would be to look up the Skychief Loads for muzzleloader shotguns.
You'll be able to get an idea of what materials you will need.
Shot, wads, etc.
Best of luck with the rig.

Havn't tackled the nipples yet. I put air thru it and next is steam. The gun was made betweem 53 and 73, 1853 that is. The Belgium proof marks changed in 1873 so its older than that.

It measures out between 10 and 12 ga, 11 actually. Marked FF underneath. Ya, im in no hurry to shoot it till someone looks it over who knows what there talking about.

There are those here with great knowledge about ML shotguns. I've enjoyed them about 60 years for hunting, not competition - originals and modern-made. Once you've determined the old girl is safe, I suggest a couple of steps/cautions learned "the hard way".

1. Before even sticking a screwdriver in a slot, be sure the tip fits the slot perfectly. Old metals can be quite soft, or brittle. I use a bit of "Kroil" to lessen the chance of buggering a slot or worse, breaking one off. Some screw slots require a chisel point, others a flat point. Replacing damaged screws on antique guns is hard.

2. When I decide to shoot an antique, nipples are of importance. Some have been open to the point they allowed far too much gas to come back towards the face of the hammer - others clogged so bad ignition was spotty at best. I replace (but always save and label) old nipples with properly fitting modern ones. If the nipples have been replaced by an owner before you or, as you remove them find all the threads do not engage, WATCH OUT.

3. Don't be surprised to find the right side lock and barrel more heavily worn/used than the left. This is really common among the old double guns I've owned. Looking back on how I shoot when hunting, it's mostly the right barrel that gets shot the most.

4. You have a really nice antique shotgun judging by the photos. Enjoy it. Thanks for posting.

Thank you. Im still not sure where im going with this. The locks are really strong on both sides. I almost don't want to remove the nipples. I'll get some pic's close up. everything looks origional . Lots of buggered up marks on different screws. Some bone head refinished the stocks and used a varathane type finish. People mean well but the end result is never right.

Wow, I would say you'll need to let those nipples sit in some penetrating oil for a while. This should be a nice project. Once it is complete you will have a piece to be proud of.

Looks really good to me. That right nipple may already be a replacement - the hole in the side would be consistent with a "hot shot" type of modern manufacture. Certainly better shape than many I've seen for sale lately. Belgians turned out some good guns (and some clunkers) just as every other gunmaking center during the 19th century. Yours really looks good in the photos. I have one that uses 11 gauge Alcan wads, most of the other 12 gauge ones will not. Unless there's an issue with a barrel, sure looks like you've good to go.

It's stamped 10.5 or 6 on the bottem. The guy I got it from said it checked out at 11. I suppose I'll have to talk to Dave Gullo at buffelo arms about nipples. If anyone has them it would be them.

I bought a used rifle last year that had a rusted on nipple.
I used PB Blaster penetrateing oil. A few good squirts and let it sit for a few hours. Then I took a small adjustable wrench to the nipple along with a length of pipe slipped over the wrench handle for a breaker bar.
Didn't really take much effort and the nipple unscrewed no problem. Luckily, the threads inside the drum were in good shape.

Nice gun. You sure it's a Belgium? Looks like a henry richards lock on a Birmingham London gun to me. I had one with a Payne lock on it. Not that I couldn't be wrong. Nice gun no matter where it's made though. Proof marks can be gard to deciffer on some old guns.

Latest posts

Back